I went and did it

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The new XDM Competition pistols came out last week. I ran across one in .45 with a stainless slide and wasn't planning on buying it. But the fever swept over me and now it's in my car. Mrs. pain doesn't know about it. I will post how I like it when I can get to precision.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Ok. Got a picture.

XDm45.jpg

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Is there anything inherently wrong with pistol to keep it from being a good SD pistol? Only thing I can think of would be night sights but I'm no expert.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Is there anything inherently wrong with pistol to keep it from being a good SD pistol? Only thing I can think of would be night sights but I'm no expert.

The barrel is 5.25 inches so for CC it would be more difficult to hide. As far as SD I would have no problem shooting an intruder with it. To answer your question it woud make a good night stand pistol as well as a fun range firearm.

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    The barrel is 5.25 inches so for CC it would be more difficult to hide. As far as SD I would have no problem shooting an intruder with it. To answer your question it woud make a good night stand pistol as well as a fun range firearm.

Sorry for hijack.

I wanted to get a xdm compact and either the 4.5 or the 5.25. Mostly range gun but I want to get into some production shooting (just a little). I just didn't want to get the 5.25 if there is something inherently wrong with it as a (all purpose) pistol vs the 4.5"

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Sorry for hijack.

I wanted to get a xdm compact and either the 4.5 or the 5.25. Mostly range gun but I want to get into some production shooting (just a little). I just didn't want to get the 5.25 if there is something inherently wrong with it as a (all purpose) pistol vs the 4.5"

This would be your best bet if you were going to shoot production class. Out the box it's ready to go. The frame has been skeletonized like a Glock 34 but this picture doesn't show it.

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA

Fiber Optic sights aren't the greatest when shooting at indoor ranges. They're great when shooting outdoors.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    The new XDM Competition pistols came out last week. I ran across one in .45 with a stainless slide and wasn't planning on buying it. But the fever swept over me and now it's in my car. Mrs. pain doesn't know about it. I will post how I like it when I can get to precision.

I know this is a thread bump, and a several year old thread, but I have questions for CEHollier:

Do you still have this gun?
    How is it holding up?
    Have you had any problems of note?
    Have you found it preferential to any particular ammo?
    Any other feedback on this, like would you buy it again? If you don't have it, do you miss it, or regret selling it?

Any other XD owners who would like to answer these questions with thier own experiences would be appreciated as well. I don't much care if somebody has an opinion on another gun would be better. I have a bunch of Glocks and M&P's already, and I'm not getting rid of anything. I am considering adding some variety just because I like having lots of guns. And guitars. Since I can only have one woman, I like to have a large variety in my other pleasures.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I know this is a thread bump, and a several year old thread, but I have questions for CEHollier:

Do you still have this gun?
    How is it holding up?
    Have you had any problems of note?
    Have you found it preferential to any particular ammo?
    Any other feedback on this, like would you buy it again? If you don't have it, do you miss it, or regret selling it?

Any other XD owners who would like to answer these questions with thier own experiences would be appreciated as well. I don't much care if somebody has an opinion on another gun would be better. I have a bunch of Glocks and M&P's already, and I'm not getting rid of anything. I am considering adding some variety just because I like having lots of guns. And guitars. Since I can only have one woman, I like to have a large variety in my other pleasures.

Yes, I still have the gun with around 250 rounds through it. Haven't done much shooting in the past couple of years. No problems with it. Not enough rounds through it to determine ammo preference. Have only shot hard ball ammo. No plans to sell it. I am very happy with it. My personal preference has always been the XD over Glock because of grip angle and perceived recoil. That said I also own a 34 and a 17 and like both too.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Yes, I still have the gun with around 250 rounds through it. Haven't done much shooting in the past couple of years. No problems with it. Not enough rounds through it to determine ammo preference. Have only shot hard ball ammo. No plans to sell it. I am very happy with it. My personal preference has always been the XD over Glock because of grip angle and perceived recoil. That said I also own a 34 and a 17 and like both too.

thank you Sir.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    No problem. FWIW I bought a XDM 4.5 in 9mm for my dad. I compared it to my 34 and preferred the way the XD shot over the Glock. Not saying one is better. Just my preference.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Devilneck, I do not own any XD/XDM products. You already have Glocks and M&P's so you may want try one of the new striker fired products by HK or Sig. The Sig P320 and the HK VP9 pistols are at a good price point and according to reports by many owners both shoot very well.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Devilneck, I do not own any XD/XDM products. You already have Glocks and M&P's so you may want try one of the new striker fired products by HK or Sig. The Sig P320 and the HK VP9 pistols are at a good price point and according to reports by many owners both shoot very well.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm specifically looking at XD series. Do you have past experience with an XD that keeps you from buying one?

I have nothing against Sig, but I've found I can usually get just as much gun for less money with other makes. I welcome anyone to give me one, if they have an extra. They shoot nice, I just haven't found a Sig that blew me away enough to justify the extra cost.

I've a good deal of experience with P7's, and HK93 and 91's. I've fired the MP5 a few times, both in uniform and privately, it's fun. I haven't tried any newer HK pistols, other than the USP's when they came out. I'll be picking up an HK or three at some point. Again though, with HK usually it's just a matter of cost and what I feel I get out of it. I have looked at the VP9 reviews, and they do seem like a good buy as well. The USP was nice, but somewhere between a carbine/smg, and a full size primary in size. Very nice to shoot though.

Pretty much the only makes I am not willing to consider are Hi-Pernts, and Ruger. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's how my wallet calls it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom