Ideas to Protect Ammo Boxes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I collect old / odd ammo in the boxes. I have them sitting out on display, but really looking for a way to better protect them. I thought of shrink wrapping each individual box but not sure if that would stick to the cardboard over time. Maintaining the cardboard in as pristine shape as possible is the ultimate goal while keeping the box from getting dry rot. Thoughts?

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    In my opinion, and I may be incorrect, my thought is that shrink wrapping them would cause the plastic to attach to the boxes. I am thinking vacum sealing the boxes would be a better idea.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a vacuum sealer for food. It REALLY compresses the contents in the bag. I'd be surprised if you could vacuum seal cardboard without at least slightly crushing it. Practice on some later day boxes you don't mind crushing until to figure out if it's possible or what settings to use.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Since you said displaying them you could get the clear plastic boxes they sell for model cars and such and place them inside.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My general recommendation is to not shrink wrap paper or cardboard items in plastic. There are some exceptions to that ... but most plastics are not archival-grade, and will actually cause the paper to deteriorate over time. This is especially true for adhesive tapes and lamination plastics ... the process of baking plastic over paper will almost guarantee its demise.

Archival-grade plastics are available (Gaylord Archival Supply is probably the best supplier of this), but these can be costly.

Mike

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I collect old / odd ammo in the boxes. I have them sitting out on display, but really looking for a way to better protect them. I thought of shrink wrapping each individual box but not sure if that would stick to the cardboard over time. Maintaining the cardboard in as pristine shape as possible is the ultimate goal while keeping the box from getting dry rot. Thoughts?

Never use plastic wrap or bags. Your best best is to place your collection in a humidity controlled cabinet: you can adjust the levels so you don't dry the boxes. A cigar unit might be too humid for the cartridges: not sure but you'll have to do the research to get the correct humidity levels. The boxes should probably be shelved unstacked so the weight does not damage the cardboard. You can use vapor corrosion inhibiters in the cabinet. They emit vapors that coat the metallic surfaces and are recommended for cartridge storage. Renwax may work to provide additional protection to the exterior of the cardboard boxes but do your research before using it and how to apply it. As someone mentioned a clear coating might protect the box but it can also degrade its value if the coating breaks down over time. If your cabinet have glass windows or doors keep far from natural sunlight and consider applying UV blocking film to the glass made by 3M. Clean glass and stabilized cardboard provide good surfaces to store the boxes on. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom