If only everyone had electric cars...........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Thank you for your response - from an apparently knowledgeable advocate of this wonderous new tech. From your icon, I gather, perhaps erroneously, that you are invested in this industry. I usually don't receive or when prompted, respond to negative posts... but...

WOW! 320 miles range! I can't remember being stuck at an interstate or even STATE hwy gasoline infusion facility for more than 5-10 minutes. - including a pee & a snack. According to multiple internet sources, there is about 47,800 miles of Interstate Hwys in the US. 47,800 dvided by 1,300 = 1 per 37 miles. Impressive -somewhat dispersed, but not evenly distrbuted about the Interstate system.

1300 charging stations in the contiguous USA? According to multiple internet sources, there is, per 2019 data, about 4.17 million miles of US hwys. 4.7 mil divided by 1300 = 36.153 miles. - not counting STATE & COUNTY ROADS. Wow! My bladder ain't that big! Statistics can be used to support any position.

FYI - I have done a wee bit of research and my comments were based on the real-time experience of one of my clients. She is almost bankrupt from her licensed taxi company - started with a (past) fleet of newly-purchased Toyota Prius's (proper plural spelling?).

The replacement cost of the new warrantied battery's actual longevity was not researched before purchase (sadly). Nor was it mentioned in negotiations for the initial multiple acquisitions. When failures began she had very bad experience with "reconditioned" (whatever... replacements, etc). The last remnant of the now-disposed-of-fleet was then being driven by her daugther . It was fraught with reliability issues - no specific issues discussed. ?? Dump it at an additional loss of capital - or - per diagnosed need of a new battery, throw good money after bad by purchasing a reconditioned battery for tempory relief, or eat the higher cost of a new battery?

Again, granted, " ...buyer beware...". BUT.. where is the responsibility of the industry (& the U S gumit & its multi-monion consumer "protective" agencies) to advise &/or fully disclose?

Granted, I know nothing of the difference between older "hybrids" and the "new all-elec" vehicles... don't care. I also, do not understand the new "ICE" (internal combustion engines either ( along with other DIY old farts like me). I own, drive, & work on older "ICE" vehicles, to the extent that I can, with old tools and learning purchased new scanners.

I well remember a decades-old Christmas Eve breakdown, driving a-then-near-new, "ICE" Ford van - along w/ a distraugt wife & 5 distressed kids - & hidden Santa presents. Headed for Grandpa & Grandma's house. Stranded in Hazelhurst, MS. Towed to a grease-monkey road side shop. Asked a few questions by a very young mechanic in greasy overalls, having obviously imbibed a few Xmas spirits. Then, miraculously, about 20 minutes later, being thankfully on our way - $25 (plus generous tip). Fancy that today... on Xmas Eve? How much to even turn the scanner on ... if one would?

Multple sites offer reconditioned/rebuilt batteries. Sorry I don't understand the nuances of this esoteric terminolgy. ... rebuilt, reconditioned, repurposed ... whatever buzzwords. Believe their hype ? One such example ...

https://www.thehybridshop.com/battery-conditioning

I'm NOT interested in NEW ICE engine tech. The gumit has f'd that too. I had a salvaged junk yard engine installed in a Toyota Camry a few years ago - still running. Wife & kids never checked the Jiffy Lube oil leak from the filter. Total cost - $800.

Put up with the control as you will. The post was about the CONTROL - NOT the TECH - (of which I am admittedly under-informed) - just sayin'.

Your In-Put-Down-Acknowledged ... ignoring allegations of my total (almost) ignorance. No avarice intended toward your esoteric (& all such other tech) industries' vested interests. Tech is the future. We're not ALL as unreceptive as you think - just skeptical.

Noone is always right. Consider others' vtew points.
    Dont be pissed off, I hit every one of your points with actual facts. It happens.
    You self admittedly acknowledged that you dont know anything about the matter, yet posted previously as you did. I line by line gave you the details on them. Just trying to help buddy.

You did research on hybrids for your client. The battery is the size of a suitcase, and they have actual engines in them. Electric vehicles arent hybrids.

Your reply was kinda cool though with the ten dollar thesaurus words. Reminded me of Oswald Bates.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Some months back I used the Tesla trip estimator to look at how much longer it would take me to drive from my house in Baton Rouge to my parents' home in Canada.

With my Jeep Gladiator diesel, the non-stop trip would have been 21 hours over a distance of about 1,400 miles. My truck goes about 400 miles on a tank, so I figured I'd need to do three or four stops. When I'm doing long haul traveling I usually give myself 10 or 15 minutes at the gas pump to stretch my legs and give my ass a break from sitting for hours on end ... so I figured I'd add at least an hour for gas and pee stops. That's 22 hours.

That's not including stopping for food, longer bathroom breaks, etc.

The Tesla trip estimator estimated that it would take 26 hours with all of the charging stops in a Tesla Model 3. And candidly, if I could make those charging stops into food/bathroom stops as well, then I'm probably within an hour or two of the time estimate for doing the trip in an ICE vehicle. I'd need to look at the locations of the stops and make sure that I was within walking distance of some sort of restaurant ... but I'm willing to bet that most of them would be. And if I did a bit of picnic packing in advance, I could make all of those stops into meal / snack breaks.

And based on the current diesel prices of $4.50 per gallon, I estimated that I'd save a bit over $100 on the trip up (and another $100 on the way back). That wouldn't suck.

Mike

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Some months back I used the Tesla trip estimator to look at how much longer it would take me to drive from my house in Baton Rouge to my parents' home in Canada.

With my Jeep Gladiator diesel, the non-stop trip would have been 21 hours over a distance of about 1,400 miles. My truck goes about 400 miles on a tank, so I figured I'd need to do three or four stops. When I'm doing long haul traveling I usually give myself 10 or 15 minutes at the gas pump to stretch my legs and give my ass a break from sitting for hours on end ... so I figured I'd add at least an hour for gas and pee stops. That's 22 hours.

That's not including stopping for food, longer bathroom breaks, etc.

The Tesla trip estimator estimated that it would take 26 hours with all of the charging stops in a Tesla Model 3. And candidly, if I could make those charging stops into food/bathroom stops as well, then I'm probably within an hour or two of the time estimate for doing the trip in an ICE vehicle. I'd need to look at the locations of the stops and make sure that I was within walking distance of some sort of restaurant ... but I'm willing to bet that most of them would be. And if I did a bit of picnic packing in advance, I could make all of those stops into meal / snack breaks.

And based on the current diesel prices of $4.50 per gallon, I estimated that I'd save a bit over $100 on the trip up (and another $100 on the way back). That wouldn't suck.

Mike
    The vast majority of them are right off the interstates intentionally and colocated near food and bathrooms. Not all, but I havent read of any of them being in the middle of nowhere.
    For a cost comparison. The Model 3 has a 70kW battery in the Long Range and Performance. The nav wont let it get under 15-20% charge on the way to the next Supercharger. So assume 60kW at arrival. They charge about $0.21 per kW at them (Charging costs vary higher depending on how much kW you use, but this is basic averages)...Home charging is much less, like Louisiana is $0.07. So assume $13-15 bucks to "fill her up" to the next Supercharger (320 ish miles). Pretty sure $15 bucks versus $100 is a nice change.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The vast majority of them are right off the interstates intentionally and colocated near food and bathrooms. Not all, but I havent read of any of them being in the middle of nowhere.
    I didn't look exhaustively at all of the charging stations on the route that Tesla suggested ... but the half-dozen random ones I clicked on all seemed to be within walking distance of stuff.
    Pretty sure $15 bucks versus $100 is a nice change.
    The other day I put $75 worth of dead dinosaur into my Gladiator. It was vaguely reminiscent of filling my old Sierra 2500 with a Duramax.

Mike

Top Bottom