If you had a choice of only 2 guns to own in a SHTF scenario, what would they be?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    If I had to choose 2 firearms:

1 - Rifle chambered in a long-action cartridge, preferably based off of the .30-06 case

2 - 12 gauge shotgun

A pistol is for fighting your way back to your rifle. Of course I have pistols but more power per round is my main focus, and the OP is asking about only two.

On the survival side of the "SHTF" scenario, game animals need to be dropped quickly, effectively. Defense is not the only aspect needing consideration. The two I would choose covers all game, even birds.

How many bears will you eat while hunting with a 5.56 or 300BO or 9mm Luger?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Is that some inside reference I'm supposed to understand? The question was pretty simple but I expected some incoherent responses as usual.
    I’m not normally one to put words in someone else’s mouth but I believe he is suggesting you answer your own question. The BS way, rather than starting a thread with no input of your own.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    9mm HG and carbine - Same ballistics, ish - and limits 556 scrounging...?

I've never understood pistol caliber carbine. Gimme a 300 black shooting 220's that can switch to "effective" if you put in supers.

You don't get hydrostatic shock until ~ 2200 FPS.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    1. Mossberg 590/with extra barrel(26")
    2. HK VP9
    12 gauge ammo for self-defense or hunting will be easy to find leading up to the emergency and likely during the emergency.
    9mm ammo is also common (can pay JPB a visit for some Gold Dot!)

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I’m not normally one to put words in someone else’s mouth but I believe he is suggesting you answer your own question. The BS way, rather than starting a thread with no input of your own.
    Yeah man easy enough, Dude starts a thread on list you're stuff but has no real input?
    More like what do you have and here are my favorites,
    Like a pecker checking contest.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    May he rest in peace, I thought I'd add that Tiger Mckee told me his bug out was a lever action 357 magnum rifle and a 357 revolver. The 357 does pick up a lot more steam than a 9mm in a longer barrel, but credit where its due to those who want one ammo. I'd just opt for something that hits MUCH harder as a result, 357 or 44 mag.

I am a huge fan of the 45 and the 45 UMP is a super neat gun, I just can't bring myself to do it when the ballistics aren't much better than a 5" 1911 or USP Expert.

John1994

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2024
    Washington Parish
    If it's a SHTF scenario. AR-15 or something that accepts AR-15 mags. Accompanied with a Glock 17 or 19. If I need mags, ammo or an upgrade, there'll be plenty laying around.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ShootingStarr
    Top Bottom