I'm just sayin'....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Are y'all taking anything for the stones? They FINALLY put me on Allopurinol and Potassium Citrate to help control my stones after I passed my 14th and they found more waiting. They told me not to worry about the golf ball sized cyst in one kidney...

Just Flomax and Vicodin until this one passes. (If it hasn't yet) It was 2.4mm so they said it should pass without too much trouble. I have to follow up with a urologist in a week or so.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I wish ya the best my friend! BTW, for those of you who have never had stones, it is the trip from the kidneys to the bladder that causes the pain. Passing it from the bladder into the toilet is nothing and is usually not even felt!

Anyone else pass blood before feeling the pain? I have several times now...

Last edited:

BUSTER48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Laplace, Louisiana
    Good luck Dave. I had my first one at 18, I've had a dozen or so since then, last one was 10mm, stints, litho, the whole nine yards. Kidney stones are the only pain I have ever had in my entire life that made me cry. Would not wish that **** on my worst enemy. Well, maybe.

BUSTER48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Laplace, Louisiana
    I wish ya the best my friend! BTW, for those of you who have never had stones, it is the trip from the kidneys to the bladder that causes the pain. Passing it from the bladder into the toilet is nothing and is usually not even felt!

I was under the impression that it was the pressure that builds up when the stone is passing from the kidney through the urethra to the bladder, not so much the stone going through the urethra.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    My research indicates that there are 4 main types of stones according to mineral content. If you can catch one and have a pathology analysis, it should identify your dietary issues, if any. It may be possible to lessen your risk of repeat incidents without drug therapy.

Drink liquids till you float...then drink some more. The more output, the quicker you're going to flush it through, generally speaking. An added benefit is that some studies claim that as many as 70% of adult Americans are chronically dehydrated. You won't be one of them. Water is what lubricates joints; stay hydrated and you may also ward off arthritis.

Last edited:

2ridgebacks

316 below zero
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have passed a dozen or so stones, and yea they hurt! Doctors thought I was crazy because I kept telling them I had pain in BOTH Kidneys. I saw many doctors before I got a hold of one that knew his sh--. He prescribed a 24 hour urinalysis and found out I had abnormally high protein levels, all they could say was slow down the meat. Does anyone else know what is causing their stones?

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna

That's interesting. Maybe I had two? I had my eye-crossing pain for about an hour. It began to subside once I was in a room in the ER. An hour later I went for my CT scan. That CT scan is what showed the one big one in the left kidney and a bunch of little ones in the right. So possibly the pain I had was from another one making it's passage, and probably made it to the bottom of the urinal. Meaning I have one more big one to go??? :eek3::eek::noes::run::help::curse::wtc:

lamuskrat

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    French Settlement, La
    Well I wish mine was as easy as pain pills and waiting on my body to expel it. I was in Memphis and had the dreadful attack. I went via ambulance to the VA. They did it old school I guess. They took this thing with 3 prongs (looks like a mechanics tool) and run it up my penis, grabbed it and pulled it out. Luckily I was sedated. Not knowing that stones actually had burrs like a cockle berry, I got up to urinate. BIG MISTAKE...well guess you know why.

So much for my free healthcare.....lol.

Went to hospital here in Gonzales in pain one night. After leaving me suffer for I don't know how long while they play the 20 question game, they did testing. It was determined that I had gall stones. I basically said OK, went home then work and just prayed to the Lord to deal with it and heal me. Never another pain. Now thats a real quality healthcare program, and best of all it's all paid for (by His stripes).

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell

Blood occasionally. I have passed many that I didn't even know were coming. No pain, just a wtf was that as it passed the finish line.

I have never had one from the left. Only the right.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just Flomax and Vicodin until this one passes. (If it hasn't yet) It was 2.4mm so they said it should pass without too much trouble. I have to follow up with a urologist in a week or so.

Dr. Macaluso at Meadowcrest is actually one of the best in the country. He took one out of my wife that no one else could get, and 3 other doctors tried, including lithotripsy.

My wife, who had 6 kids via Lamaze natural childbirth, says the kidney stones hurt FAR worse than labor.

After I had my own kidney stone, I knew what she meant - and I had to drive myself to the hospital, screaming and writhing in pain the whole way.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    May sound strange, but the worst part for me is not the pain. When you empty your bladder and instantly, persistently have the urge to go that never ends. Its freakin' maddening.

My first one saw me in the ER. 3 doses of morphine in 30 minutes and zero relief. Doc said I was already overdosed, and if he gave me any more I would die. I grabbed his arm hard, and said I was considering that as a viable option.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Cat, if you don't mind me asking, what were their birth weights? I'm having debate with a female friend that says her 11lb kid beats kidney stones.

Oh hell CS, stop arguing with her. She's right. ROFL. That's a big baby. My largest one was 8lbs, but they increased by the pound. 6.2, 7.1 1/4, 8.1 IIRC.

Dave, glad you feel better. :rofl:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Well my worst case scenario happened. It seems the first pain (ER trip) was for a seperate one than the one found by CT scan. Yesterday about 1430 I began getting pain in my left lower back. Back pain is normal for me since I have a reptured L4L5 disc. But I knew what was coming since it was mostly on the left side. I rushed home from work and was in full blown pain by 1500. The first one, the pain lasted about 2-3 hours, last night my wife said I finally passed out around midnight and I was still writhing and moaning in my sleep. Problem is I still haven't passed anything except for what looks like small blood clots. For all you stone vets, how long between the hellish pain, and that little bugger deciding to make an appearance in the strainer? It's got to be rattling around the bladder still. Hopefully the urologist can shed some light tomorrow.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    Sounds like they may have to place a tube in your penis to widen your uretha so you can pass the stone. Otherwise maybe using shock waves (lipotripsy) to break up the stone. My dad has passed literally hundreds of stones. I have had 2 and have 4 more in my right kidney just waiting on them to move.

I keep a Rx of 2 loritab in my backpack, and I know what works for me....TORIDAL

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Sounds like they may have to place a tube in your penis to widen your uretha so you can pass the stone. Otherwise maybe using shock waves (lipotripsy) to break up the stone. My dad has passed literally hundreds of stones. I have had 2 and have 4 more in my right kidney just waiting on them to move.

I keep a Rx of 2 loritab in my backpack, and I know what works for me....TORIDAL

That's what I'm afraid of. Although the ER doc said mine was 2.4mm and passage of up to 5mm was really a nonissue, I'm still concerned that nothing has passed yet. I've been drinking water and cranberry till my back teeth are floating but nothing. I guess they're just rattling aroung the bladder. I'm glad the urologist appt is tomorrow. Should get answers.

gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    I was under the impression that it was the pressure that builds up when the stone is passing from the kidney through the urethra to the bladder, not so much the stone going through the urethra.

kidney-->ureter-->bladder-->urethra-->toilet

I've never had one, but I would suppose that the traveling through the ureters is what hurts. The ureter peristalses, that is, squeezes intermittently - and I guess if it squeezed a stone that would probably make me cry too.

Most people have calcium stones, and there isn't much to prevent it other than chugging a lot of water (or beer) all the time.
    Gout makes a different kind of stone, so that requires medication to prevent.

Top Bottom