In support of M E M

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I talked ( E ) with him a few times back when...maybe 06 ?? on OC dot

Thought he was smart and on top of the game and would turn on me in a flash if I didn't completely agree

I like what he's done, only wish he had won the whole city and not just a settlement

IMHO winning the money made the statement, public employees are very aware that it's a bad thing to cost the public money.

Would it be better to have turned down the money and drug it thru court ?? I dunno, I think I'd have took the funding to help me fight some more. ( And maybe get a new four wheeler;) )

Mark is one of those you want on your side of the argument , just so he eats lunch somewhere else.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    But what about when he Conceal Carries his weapon in public and then brags about it?

Well that is illegal with out a permit, so it *may* be true that making illegal is not right or a Constitutional violation but even if it is, that does not give him the right to do it. If he does so w/o a permit so be it, his problem if he gets caught. If he does it and then openly brags about it whether he is lying or not I think that may give good reason for any LEO to pat him down just to check. Just an assumption at this point but posting on an open forum "I'm doing something illegal right now! I do it all the time and I'll do it if I damn well please!" may be probably cause to believe that you are doing something illegal and to search you if I run across you in public.

if adamant about his & our rights.

I understand that many question his methods; but, the dust-up in Gonzales certainly brought up the correct laws and Constitutional considerations to most of Louisiana's City P.D.'s.

Then why did he settle for a quiet payment he couldn't talk about openly?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Then why did he settle for a quiet payment he couldn't talk about openly?

And that is exactly the problem. He could have settled for requiring the department to take an OC training class or something else useful. Maybe a full page ad in the local paper from the sherriff explaining the laws concerning OC? He could have taken the money and bought the local officers new vests or training ammo to build a relationship with the local PD and good will and even gotten a tax writeoff. Instead he bought himself a new motorcycle. Sellout.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/member.php?595-W1nds0rF0x

QUOTE: " Then why did he settle for a quiet payment he couldn't talk about openly? "

M E M, like most of us, probably doesn't have the financial resources to carry on a long legal battle with a governmental agency. And, his lawyer had to get paid, too.

"Gag order" or not, the message surely did get out, and to the correct recipients, too.

BTW, Fox, What have YOU done personally for our firearms RIGHTS here in Louisiana ?

leVieux

Last edited:

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    And the activities he has been involved in appear to be very legal.

Being a "senior citizen", I can clearly recall decades ago, when his current actions would not have raised an eyebrow around here. Under the same Constitutions, too.

In a nutshell (no pun intended); M E M's adventures and misadventures tell me a sad story of how far we have ALL come in accepting the erosions of our constitutional civil liberties.

The responses to those same activities and frequent vitriolic anti-M E M postings also tell just how "Politically Correct" we anti-PC'ers on the right have become. Let's take a look in our own mirrors!

Of course, I may have missed something early-on, as I was not here then.

It looks to me that M E M has done more with his one-man crusade to restore some of our most important firearms rights than the NRA, GOA, etc. combined have done here in Louisiana.

Please tell me how this is not correct; but, please use FACTS, not unsupported opinions.

leVieux

You know what else used to be in fashion? Lynchings, but I don't see you reminiscing about those.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    leVieux... you ask too much of *some* of this crowd to have a decent conversation about anything without your haters showing up... and MEM's in this case.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    QUOTE: " Then why did he settle for a quiet payment he couldn't talk about openly? "

M E M, like most of us, probably doesn't have the financial resources to carry on a long legal battle with a governmental agency. And, his lawyer had to get paid, too.

"Gag order" or not, the message surely did get out, and to the correct recipients, too.

BTW, Fox, What have YOU done personally for our firearms RIGHTS here in Louisiana ?

leVieux

I don't buy it, with as much $ as he got he would have gotten just as much or more with a full law suit and what attorney wouldn't be willing to wait for extra $? And WTF do you mean "what have I done?" What have you done? What has anyone done? Do not try to demonize me because I don't rail against authority like MEM

leVieux... you ask too much of *some* of this crowd to have a decent conversation about anything without your haters showing up... and MEM's in this case.

Haters?? Show me the first hateful post in this thread.
    As I pointed out most people do not hate Mark as you put it, but many of us disagree with his with his methods not the objectives.

Last edited:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, he disappoints me. I've spoken with the guy at OC meetups and he is well spoken and rational while being firm in his beliefs. As pointed out, while he does lots of stuff considered unpopular he rarely is breaking the law (aside from occasionally CCing and bragging about it). He's knowledgeable in how to work the system. He's sued to keep social security numbers off of Louisiana drivers licenses. He settled with GPD because he couldn't get a lawyer to help him take the case further and he didn't have the resources to keep going it alone. He was responsible for having the Amite city council repeal a ban on carrying firearms which had been on their books since the 1960s.
    Sure he might be a good resource to have in your corner but he's so extreme in some of his views that he turns more people against him than for him. The whole Mark of the Beast thing as an arguement against the SS #s on licenses is a good example.
    His Open Carry marches on businesses is another example and a reason why many of us who opposed such tatics formed LOCAL to be a more moderate voice for the Open Carry movement in Louisiana.
    He pisses me off with his ultra-patriot anarchist talk mostly because I see it as such a waste of talent. He could have such a benefit to so many causes. His libertarian slant is what I look for in politicians I'm going to vote for. But MEM simply can't reign it in. He has to be the internet bully in every conversation. He has to confront retailers.
    LOCAL is taking a more moderate apporach to educating the public. We drop off our Trifold brocures at gun shows,
    gonzogunshowtable.jpg
    We put our informational fliers up on bulletin boards,
    corkboard3.jpg
    We are sending out hundreds of letters and fliers to media and law enforcement agencies. This photo is one I took in my living room about 1am last night after printing out more than 250 envelopes and letters.
    locallealetterrd4april2011.jpg
    I'll be printing up another 300 before the weekend is up. At our upcoming meetings our members will be folding the letters and brocures and stuffing them in the envelopes as well as buying enough postage stamps to keep the Postal Service out of the red for about 6 months. It will probably look alot like this scene of an previous mail out we did,
    localmeet2211b.jpg
    Instead of supporting our efforts MEM derides our efforts and refers to our organization as a Meet, Eat & Retreat club. His MEMites complain that we don't publicize many of our activities such as these mass mailings. When we offer them an olive branch they slap back at us and insult us.
    MEM and his MEMites aren't interested in EDUCATION. They are interested in confronting, bullying and intimidating.

Oreo

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    Man were you sitting across from us at lunch yesterday while we talked about this very subject?

In life you have to pick your battles and it seems to me when MEM finally had a chance to make a real documented case/difference to support his position he was easily blinded by a little money and the battle was lost.

IMHO he's now like those people that bitch and grip about everything in government, congress, laws, law enforcement etc and when asked do you vote they tell you NO. Given the opportunity to make a real difference he passed and should sit quietly and count his money as his creditability for the cause is more than tarnished.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Rick - It's not just what you do but how you do it. Rubbing people the wrong way does not help the cause. It only turns people off to the gun rights cause lumping all of us into the rude, arrogant, ass category. Tact can go a long way to win people over. In business make one person mad they tell every one they know. Make one person happy and they may tell a friend or two. The cause he is fighting is admirable but his technique is detrimental to all gun owners.

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    He settled with GPD because he couldn't get a lawyer to help him take the case further and he didn't have the resources to keep going it alone.

That is the first time I've heard that information and if that is the fact then I will redress and say I would have done the same thing. But, like you pointed out, it is the way he acts online towards others that makes people believe he has issues.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Rick - It's not just what you do but how you do it. Rubbing people the wrong way does not help the cause. It only turns people off to the gun rights cause lumping all of us into the rude, arrogant, ass category. Tact can go a long way to win people over. In business make one person mad they tell every one they know. Make one person happy and they may tell a friend or two. The cause he is fighting is admirable but his technique is detrimental to all gun owners.

Well said. I've read all the backlog of stuff and met many people with other causes and interests that behave the same way. You are right on, Sir.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I think I saw a pic of MEM with a hat on indoors.

edit- AHHHH there it is. How can he stand up for our rights and yet be such a social misfit?? He's wearing a hat indoors AND at the table. So the negative cancels the positive and all we are left with is he's still a douche.

ocdomeetnov08.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Jim, I'm also wearing a hat in that photo. I'm the one sitting across from him wearing the EMT (Emergency Med Tech) cap. I'm pretty sure, if I remember correctly, that photo was taken at the LaPlace Shoneys resturant where LOCAL now holds it's monthly meetings.
    Another photo of me wearing the same hat-
    EMTcap.jpg

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I think I saw a pic of MEM with a hat on indoors.

edit- AHHHH there it is. How can he stand up for our rights and yet be such a social misfit?? He's wearing a hat indoors AND at the table. So the negative cancels the positive and all we are left with is he's still a douche.

Oh look THREE heathens in the picture, the security guard should know better! :rofl::rofl:

Jim, I'm also wearing a hat in that photo. I'm the one sitting across from him wearing the EMT (Emergency Med Tech) cap. I'm pretty sure, if I remember correctly, that photo was taken at the LaPlace Shoneys resturant where LOCAL now holds it's monthly meetings.

D'oh!! I walked away and came back in the middle of posting :p

Ya know, I read a "Miss Manners" column in the paper once years ago and she said that the tradition of removal does not necessarily apply to caps like that, but only to "real" hats. Something like a sock hat/beanie etc, would also be excluded like ball caps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom