Inherited Bow

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKIPP3RLANDRY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Going through my fathers house and cleaning out his storage room (he lives alone, so he uses one of the six bedrooms for his storage cus hes spoiled), I ran across his old hunting bow.

I mentioned it would be interesting to learn how to use it.

He hunted with it in the day, and seems really nice, to me anyhow: doesn'tt look cheap.

Where would I begin on learning how to use it?

All I remember is when I was a teen, I always hit the inside of my arm trying and it turned me off after about 3 shots.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Going through my fathers house and cleaning out his storage room (he lives alone, so he uses one of the six bedrooms for his storage cus hes spoiled), I ran across his old hunting bow.

I mentioned it would be interesting to learn how to use it.

He hunted with it in the day, and seems really nice, to me anyhow: doesn'tt look cheap.

Where would I begin on learning how to use it?

All I remember is when I was a teen, I always hit the inside of my arm trying and it turned me off after about 3 shots.

Picture of said bow?

It should have a manf. name and model name/number. If it's hitting your arm it's because you are over drawing the bow. Will probably need to bring it in to a bow-smith and have them measure your draw length and adjust it on the bow.

As far as learning to shoot, if you go and have it tuned up and adjusted to your draw length the bow-smith can test it for speed, suggest which arrow weight and type to use and even give you a few minor lessons if you do some business with them.

And if you're still in Baton Rouge Skip just let me know when you want to get together and shoot and I'll come out and shoot with you and help ya out. This is Stuckey, btw.

Last edited:

SKIPP3RLANDRY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Wow, hey man, long time for sure.

I was at his home today and plum forgot about it. I will get it and get some pics for tomorrow. I have no idea about where to take it or what to ask for save what is posted here.

As far as taking it out, the only place I know of is Highland Park on the low side. I pass there a lot and could just toss it in the Jeep. I see some people targeting sometimes. Do you have to reserve a time or just show up?

I am in Denham, but would go to a range anytime.

Im kinda getting stoked about it now.

Maybe take it to a shop this week or weekend and shoot it end of week?

SKIPP3RLANDRY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Gees! can anyone just be here?!?

I cant pic you out the crowd now Jared. I stopped honking cus no truck would wave, but all the cars gave me the "your #1" salute.

Btw, I pass the shop at least 2x a week.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    id have new strings put on it before trying to shoot it. last time i dragged an old bow out of the closet the strings were rotten and when i hit the release they snapped, end result was a destroyed cam and pully, a shattered limb, and a very painful bruise on the inside of my wrist.

may have been a fluke but i wouldnt try it again without having an archery shop look at it. unless of course you have a bow press and the tools to check it out.

another horror story: bought a brand new AR and on the first shot a string broke, it acted like a dry fire and broke both limbs. if thats not bad enough the arrow came out the rest at a weird angle and broke sending a bunch of shards of graphite into the top of my hand.

TowTruck

Jared
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Denham Springs
    id have new strings put on it before trying to shoot it. last time i dragged an old bow out of the closet the strings were rotten and when i hit the release they snapped, end result was a destroyed cam and pully, a shattered limb, and a very painful bruise on the inside of my wrist.

may have been a fluke but i wouldnt try it again without having an archery shop look at it. unless of course you have a bow press and the tools to check it out.

another horror story: bought a brand new AR and on the first shot a string broke, it acted like a dry fire and broke both limbs. if thats not bad enough the arrow came out the rest at a weird angle and broke sending a bunch of shards of graphite into the top of my hand.

please don't ever touch my bow :mamoru:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Skipper - I would advise bringing it to Bowie Outfitters for any kind of maintenance. I've got to get mine in there soon. But as for Highland Rd, that's a couple miles from my house so I go there often. You just show up... for now. They're about to turn it into a Dog Park. The only other public archery range would be Waddill Wildlife Reserver on N. Flannery (between Florida Blvd and Greenwell Springs Rd).

if you 2 numbskullz go shoot and dont call me I'm gonna snipe you from the bushes with a field tip...

If we don't hear you stumbling around like the drunk redneck you are then I'm not worried. I'm sure you couldn't hit the broadside of a DeLorean at 20 yard. :eek3:

I'd like to say this weekend but I'm keeping my hopes up that I can go throw some lead at doves. :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    please don't ever touch my bow :mamoru:

i also saw a brand new VFT blow up, it was due to an arrow that had been hit. the arrow broke off near the middle and the back half went through the guys hand, too bad the fletching stopped it or it would have been a through and through.

matthews and the older Martin bows are the only two i've even seen survive a dry fire with NO damage.

SKIPP3RLANDRY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Brought it to Bowie Outfitters today and they looked at it.

I was told that its in good shape for its age. I asked about the strings and they told me its been waxed alot, so it seems fine too. Its set at 55lbs and just has a the arrow just rests on the bow. He said real feathers are more designed for this rather than stiff ones.

Also he said its a finger bow (doesn't take well to a release unit.) I already had 3 arrows (aluminum) and he said just use those 3 before making more decisions.

He put a new little ring on the string in the center to place the bow under when shooting like a marker. He says there is nothing wrong with it, its just an older bow in good shape.

Something I learned is bows are not swappable when I picket it up to pull it back and told me I'm doing it wrong. My dominant eye is my left, so either learn to shoot right, or get a left handed bow.

got some wax and a few practice tips for >$8

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Wow Skip, that's an antique pretty much. An early compound bow and looks in great shape. @ 55 lbs it's more than capable of killing anything in the woods as any other bow. As for you being left eye dominant, try shooting with both eyes open.

Where they able to do anything about the draw length?

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Showed it on another message board and they suspect the second set of numbers is a manufacturing date. 14 June 1983

kd5hlx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gray, La.
    Looks like a Browning Cobra . I had one back in the early 90's . And it's not a good finger bow , too short it it will pinch your fingers . A good caliper release works best with it .

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Looks like a Browning Cobra . I had one back in the early 90's . And it's not a good finger bow , too short it it will pinch your fingers . A good caliper release works best with it .

meh, we can tie him a D-loop set him up with a release and he'll be set. Speaking of which, i do have an extra release you can have Skip.

SKIPP3RLANDRY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Wow Skip, that's an antique pretty much. An early compound bow and looks in great shape. @ 55 lbs it's more than capable of killing anything in the woods as any other bow. As for you being left eye dominant, try shooting with both eyes open.

Where they able to do anything about the draw length?

didnt know to ask about it.

SKIPP3RLANDRY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Denham Springs
    meh, we can tie him a D-loop set him up with a release and he'll be set. Speaking of which, i do have an extra release you can have Skip.

not sure what this is, but ima bring out out for yall to see it and really get an idea of what condition etc it is on.

I can shoot right r left, but i aim much better with my left eye.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    not sure what this is, but ima bring out out for yall to see it and really get an idea of what condition etc it is on.

I can shoot right r left, but i aim much better with my left eye.

D-loop is basically a string that you would tie above and below your arrow knocking point (that button the put on the string for you) and you clip an release to it. This is an alternative to drawing and releasing by fingers.

file16.jpg

As for your left vs right. I understand if your ambidextrous but are you normally right handed? If so then don't worry about the left eye dominance. Like i said you'll just have to shoot with both eyes open and it will work out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom