Innocent concerned husband or belligerent drunk?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I can agree with that. That said, the cops escalated this situation to a place where it did not need to go. More professional heads should have prevailed. This particular community's police dept has quite a reputation and history.

Yep, I've agreed to that. ;)

Now, why the cop went back to the vehicle where the man was sitting down in the car with seat belt on and arrested him is up for debate. I kind of thought he would have just given him a tongue lashing or something not yanked him out.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    It actually shows how we all remember things differently depending on our own perception.

"We all" is quite a blanket statement. You're right for most people-- but not all.

The more details a recollection contains, the less likely that it's tarnished by subjectivity. Unless the person in question is completely delusional, that is. :mamoru:

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    I think Post# 3 video 8:40 on shows on aggressive officer, the other appear to not want any part of it.
    JMO. And no not a blanket statement.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    "We all" is quite a blanket statement. You're right for most people-- but not all.

We all perceive things based on our own presuppositions. All people can and will have different perceptions. Which is why 40 witnesses at Cotsco all saw something different about the way Erik Scott acted/reacted. It's all driven by our presuppositions.

I think Post# 3 video 8:40 on shows on aggressive officer, the other appear to not want any part of it.
    JMO. And no not a blanket statement.

That's what prompted my question. I thought it was about to be over then he goes back to the car, opens the door, yanks on him, once he unbuckles he's pulled out etc.etc.

Samuel Crypto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Right around the 7:45min mark, you can hear man in car keep saying "I'm in the car..".

And you hear the 2nd cop say, "You want to be tasered? I don't care"....

A few more "I'm in the car", and cops saying "All the way in..."

Then you hear man in car say, "What are you trying to prove?".

Right then is when cop #1 decides he has heard enough and slaps the cuffs on the woman to secure her in the cop car.
    Man in car was going to be arrested no matter what at that point, cop#1 already had made up his mind and decided what was going to happen regardless of how man complied after that.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    It's about officer safety.
    There are a large # dashcam vids where a cop is interacting w/ a driver and the passenger gets outs and attacks or starts shooting.

He wasn't asked to step out of car, so what is his reason for stepping out?

The DUI test lasted less than 4 min.
    Cop #1 told him three times and Cop #2 told him two times before he was told he was going to be taser. He own wife was screaming for him to get back in car.
    He didn't budge until Cop #2 pointed the taser @ him.

:)

Gotcha I didn't see him leave the car it was late I thought he opened the door and sat their with his seatbelt on and was yelling at the officer's. Once he left the car I agree taze em

After watching the video of the crazy dude with the M-14 I get the concern for officer in the video I think every grown adult should be required to watch that video....

Last edited:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I agree that the cops could have and should have handled it differently. I watched a video the other day where a guy was stopped and the cop was respectful to him and nothing happened. The same guy was stopped a little later the same night and killed one or two cops. When asked why he said that the second cops were rude to him.

Respect is a two way street. Give it and you get it. Don't and you've potentially contributed to your own problems. In short, everyone knows you're carrying weapons and are authorized to use them, the trick "Dep. Fife" is never having to do so. And yes, you can do a skull tap dance on anyone, even someone moments/seconds ago you were calling Sir. It is the survival mindset of respecful watching and the will to go to high order violence immediately upon need. I didn't really see a need here.

On the other foot, a screaming butthole blathering on is not pleasant either and he stood more to lose. So on that note Mr. Lawsuit definately failed the Darwin test. And I wonder how his comments related to, "kill me...wife gonna be rich" and his wifes admonishments to stop being an ass are going to play in his trial (civil).

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    From what I saw, he wasn't initially told NOT to get out of the car when they asked his wife to get out for the sobriety test. Why wouldn't anybody not want to step out of the car and check on their wife? It doesn't seem like an unreasonable gesture to me if you don't know you're not supposed to..

Why?

Seriously, why do you need to check on your wife during a stop? I've been stopped a few times and I was treated with nothing but courtesy and utmost professionalism.

I truly don't get this. Earlier a LEO was upset a young child expressed fear of cops. Several had said it's the parents teaching their children cops are bad. This isn't any better.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    We all perceive things based on our own presuppositions. All people can and will have different perceptions. Which is why 40 witnesses at Cotsco all saw something different about the way Erik Scott acted/reacted. It's all driven by our presuppositions.

The way you process the input is based on your presuppositions, sure. But not the way you recollect it-- in all cases. I agree that most people's minds don't work fast/well/differently enough, but not everyone. There are people out there who have trained themselves intentionally to observe every detail, objectively, and only after it's been recorded, begin to interpret. Stress and adrenaline often heighten this ability, instead of negating it-- time literally seems to slow down. Once the adrenaline dump is over and the after effects have passed, they recall every last detail in stark (often shocking) clarity.

40 people all saw something differently, sure-- but are you telling me there wasn't at least 1 or 2 who recalled, in perfect detail, everything that happened?

In fact, I'd wager (if there was any way to prove it), I could read all 40 sworn testimonies and pick the ones that were the most (if not perfectly) accurate, simply based on how they were voiced.

But, we're getting off track here. And in the case of this particular topic, we have video and audio to help us figure it all out. To answer the question posed by the OP...

Both. He was concerned, but got belligerent. He could have certainly handled the situation better, as could the officers.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I don't say cops are all good or all bad...they are people with a job, and most ofthem do it, like most of us who work for a living

BUT , I have made a bunch of copies of this video concerning 5th and 4th rights. I give these to young people in our church, kids of friends, my friends.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik[/ame]

It's real easy to talk your self into a hole,( like the Tazee in the OP vid )

Aberdog1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Kansas
    I see this as once again the civilians are wrong and the cops are right. Case closed..move along..nothing to see here

Aberdog1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Kansas
    I don't say cops are all good or all bad...they are people with a job, and most ofthem do it, like most of us who work for a living

BUT , I have made a bunch of copies of this video concerning 5th and 4th rights. I give these to young people in our church, kids of friends, my friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

It's real easy to talk your self into a hole,( like the Tazee in the OP vid )

I think everybody should watch this.

Top Bottom