IPhone 5?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yes, I'm getting one.

I don't really need it- it's just that as an Apple owner, that's just what you're supposed to do. :dunno:

:D Truthfully, I've held on to my ip4 for 2 years now, and didn't take the bait when the 4S came out. So I guess I'll go through with it & get me a 5.

The new mapping looks promising. Must have something worth looking at- there's talk it has the GPS manufacturers are a bit shook up. Guess we'll see.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    On the previous (unjailbroken) versions of the iOS, you would have to use google maps, and actually scroll over like a mapquest type deal with interactive map. The new ios (6) has more like a garmin or Tom Tom type of gps that speaks you you.

Turn left NOW!

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge

I've used a few android phones. The technology is there. Problem is the software, being open source I would always run into glitches. Plus with all the hardware out there sometimes there are compatibility issues with the releases of android. I got an iPhone about a year ago and couldn't be happier, just like I am with my Macs and my iPad. They just work. I definitely would love to see a micro USB port or something but it's not a deal breaker for me and I know apple won't put one. I jailbreak all mine so that I can do what I want but still have a clean running easy to use OS. I've had iOS6 for about 3 months and it's pretty nice. The maps were glitchy at first but by the time the 4th beta came out it was looking a lot better. The 3D mapping is also awesome but not in all places. I want an iPhone 5 but don't have an upgrade :( I need to find someone who was planning on using theres for a 4S and work a deal with them!

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Did jailbreaking your phone increase RAM or processor speed?

Nope it doesn't. It actually decreases seen speeds but it isn't noticeable on phones with the A5 like the iPhone 4S, and in a few months when the dev team releases it for iOS6 it won't have any issues on the A6 in the iPhone 5. I wouldn't recommend it if you're running a 3GS or something.

ETA: While this isn't directly caused by jailbreaking there are supposedly some tweaks in Cydia that allow you to over clock your CPU. You'll see a lot less battery life though as Apple under clocks processors for improved battery.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    On the previous (unjailbroken) versions of the iOS, you would have to use google maps, and actually scroll over like a mapquest type deal with interactive map. The new ios (6) has more like a garmin or Tom Tom type of gps that speaks you you.

Turn left NOW!

Oh ok. I think that is one of those things Android phones have had for a while b/c my old Alcatel 990 One Touch(Cellular One Base SmartPhone) had the Google Navigate App and Google maps. It was sweet. GPS location turn by turn and would also talk to you. Oddly enough the chick on my phones spoke really FAST! but on my wife's identical phone at the time she would speak normal lol

It's on my Galaxy Captivate too, and oddly enough I use it often. I like using it even if I know where I'm going b/c it has an arrival timer :D

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    No increase or noticeable decrease in speed. But it's a phone. Its plenty quick enough for what I do with it, as I'm not trying to control a space shuttle with this thing. Lol.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That's hilarious. You can get Siri on your iPhone 4!

You sure? I thought it was only gonna be for the 4S & up.....

I know with OS 6 I'll have it on my New iPad....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la

Turn left NOW!

Oh, you mean like what android phones have had for a couple of years at least. Those apple products sure are innovative. :thumbsdown:

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Im getting one had a 4s till I put it in the washer. Thought I was upgrading to a samsung galaxy II skyrocket. Well turns out android is just not for me, the phone is glitchy as hell always freezing up sometimes the screen will spaz (not sure if its a hardware or software issue). Havent found one thing it can do better then my jailbroke 4s could. But most of the problems come from software apps crashing etc. Cant wait to get back in a iphone where I have never had any of these issues with. Plus I get all my apps back that I seem to like so much better on iOS then the equivalent apps in the google playstore.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    <-----This guy is still rocking a 3G iphone. I think I'm going to finally upgrade now that the 5 is out. I've been due for an upgrade for almost 4 years now!

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I have a 3G (jailbroken) that is very slow do to it and a 4. I use the 3G as my international travel phone as it is factory unlocked (Afghani sim in now). The 4 is with me but is always roaming.

Top Bottom