is a .17 HMR a good hog rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Again here you will hear many opinions.

IMO I would not go hog hunting with anything less than I take to hunt the thin-skinned White-tailed deer.

Many have been taken with AR's in .223 and 243s. The Velocity of the bullet and using a well constructed "hunting" bullet will prove successful.
    That's the smallest I'd consider ethical.

Handguns are popular for hogs too. Same criteria for me. Not enough for deer = not enough for hog. Min would be a hot .357, and most handgun hunters go for the .44Mag.

If you'll be hunting from the ground. A short easy to handle rifle/carbine may be your best bet. The old 30-30WIN in the closet may be your best friend. I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that is probably bordering on overkill, but if you've ever had a wounded hog turn toward you and charge. You'd probably agree that there's no such thing as overkill.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Growing up, I was always told just to always try and put the bullet either in the ear or behind the ear. I imagine that with a piglet it wouldn't much matter, but would a .223 pierce the hide and "armor" of a full grown hog? Seing as the only semi-autos I have are in .223, that is what I'm leaning towards taking if I actually manage to get a hog hunt set up soon.

Of course, I could always bring out my dad's .300 ultra mag and see what kind of carnage it makes :run:

onlyjourneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    I shot one last year and he only ran about 30 feet. Of course that was a "botched" shoulder shot with a .600 gr. .458 socom....There was a good blood trail---everywhere!!!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Growing up, I was always told just to always try and put the bullet either in the ear or behind the ear. I imagine that with a piglet it wouldn't much matter, but would a .223 pierce the hide and "armor" of a full grown hog? Seing as the only semi-autos I have are in .223, that is what I'm leaning towards taking if I actually manage to get a hog hunt set up soon.

Of course, I could always bring out my dad's .300 ultra mag and see what kind of carnage it makes :run:

Yep. A .223 should work just fine- especially when it comes to head shots. If, when you say "armor", you're talking about the bony plate surrounding the rib cage, you may have a problem. If you want a body shot, I would shoot one a little further forward- much like a deer. If you can find soft-point ammo for your .223, I would use those before a FMJ round. After all- the Geneva Convention does not apply to hogs!! :rofl::rofl: Seriously, they'll probably make your blood trail a little shorter......It sounds like you're ready to me...:thumbsup:

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    What I was referring to as "armor" is the gristle plate. Anywhere from 1/4"-2.5" of high density fat.

A good head shot would avoid it though

doeslammer4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Pride aka Central, LA
    I started this thread to get opinions on if the rifle was sufficient or not, mainly because i usually hunt Red River WMA during 'the open rabbit season' when it is legal to take hogs. I know a .22 magnum will easily kill a hog, and a .17 HMR (which i invested in and love) flies around 400 FPS faster than the .22 mag. I wanted to know if anyone killed a hog with the .17 while squirrel hunting...because I would love to do so. Wild hogs are a great supplement to the hunting season!

K9Officer1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I started this thread to get opinions on if the rifle was sufficient or not, mainly because i usually hunt Red River WMA during 'the open rabbit season' when it is legal to take hogs. I know a .22 magnum will easily kill a hog, and a .17 HMR (which i invested in and love) flies around 400 FPS faster than the .22 mag. I wanted to know if anyone killed a hog with the .17 while squirrel hunting...because I would love to do so. Wild hogs are a great supplement to the hunting season!

I have kille hogs with my marlin .17hmr on Sherburne twice. I ear shot both of them though. BTW Curtis, we need to hangout soon. I havent seen you since tht time at Logan's a while back,

rpbayly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    hog??

i thought you said a hog. that was just a penned up piglet. a sharp stick would kill him.

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.

The 17HMR doesn't tear up the squirrel?

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Oddly enough, one of my best friends called me last night. He shot 4 hogs last night on his company's lease in texas. Said they were about 120#. All 4 were shot with a .17hmr. Head shots on all of them and they were all DRT.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    With pigs, you never know. I hit one with a 308 and Barnes X and had to follow up. At about 10 feet, I made a clean chest shot, then it charged. 2 shots with 44 cal, 240 at 1200FPS right between the eyes did not drop him but did turn him until one right in the left eye made him fall over. Sometimes they are better bullet stops than a big old dirt berm, and sometimes they just drop over dead. I have taken them with my 45 ACP when they were right on top of me, and have seen them take hit after hit from my 308 and keep going.

Bring enough gun. I stopped carrying my 9mm when I go out to feed during deer season. Good luck to ya.

Top Bottom