is a vhf raido what i need?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    i was in the atchafalaya basin swamp a couple days ago, i would say 1/2 mile in there with water lilies higher than the side of the boat using a keel. the prop stripped. no spare prop. no cell service. we where about dead trying to push pole out of there when i heard a crawfisherman running his traps. we yelled for help but his raido was too loud. thank god i had an old 12ga crack barrel and used it to get his attention. he pulled us out and even gave me a couple beers.

in addition to always having a spare prop is a hand held vhf raido what i need? who sells that around morgan city or baton rouge?

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    do they have any that would run on a 12 v boat battery also?

and how do they work? how do i use it to call someone's phone?

Last edited:

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    most vhf radios will work on 12 vdc. you wont be able to call anyone's phone on it though. its like a cb, and if you are lucky someone might hear you.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    most vhf radios will work on 12 vdc. you wont be able to call anyone's phone on it though. its like a cb, and if you are lucky someone might hear you.

VHF Marine radios are line of sight as is all VHF. The higher the antenna and the more powerful the radio the futher you will get. I have an antenna on top of my 50' mast on my sailboat and I can hit the causeway draw bridge from the yacht harbor with the marine radio in the cabin. The handheld will not make the trip.

You can use the marine operator to make phone calls but from a small flat boat with a hand held it most likely won't happen. The hand held units are great for talking to bridge tenders and other near by boats.

Get the most powerful dash mounted unit you can with a good whip.

The voltage is really 13.8 but 12 will do.

5 time the power for a additional 20.00.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=17635&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10103&subdeptNum=10251&classNum=10252

Last edited:

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    The other thing to consider is who is listening and what are you listening to. The CG monitors 16 but many other channels are use for various other activities. If you get in trouble you want to talk to anyone who can setup a relay to the CG. You also should have a radio the will alert you to weather warning automatically, a lot of boaters get into trouble when a storm blows up on them without warning. I noticed that the $99.00 radio has DSC calling here is a link. http://http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/dsc.htm

I have played with some DSC gear and it is cool.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Have you considered getting your HAM license? Dunno if there's any local but I know some repeaters will let you make local phone calls.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Not many folks except tugboats on VHF during the summer. We use them during hunting season, but you'll probably be SOL during the summer. Best thing to do when in there is to go prepared and know your limits.
    If you do get one, channels 16 and 13 are the hail stations for commercial craft. If your'e between Bayou Chene and Attakapas during hunting season, you can reach somebody on 7, 27, and 72 most times.
    Funny story.....A notorious local was having boat trouble on the river one day during hinting season and hailed every channel he could with no answer. He floated almost to Morgan City. Be kind, be respectful, and leave our deer dogs alone.

Last edited:

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    Have you considered getting your HAM license? Dunno if there's any local but I know some repeaters will let you make local phone calls.

Same issue most repeaters or VHF or UHF line of sight. I don't know how many still have an auto patch, cell phones killed that feature on a lot of repeaters. Many times you will not get the auto patch code unless you are a member of the club who owns the repeater. I an emergency someone will normally bring up the patch for you.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Hand held marine radio, Hand held CB radio, hand held Family Service radio. Either of the first 2 would do better than the FSR.

Cell phone would beat all of the above.

Go to tracfone.com. For about $20 you can get a phone with about 60 minutes.

Last edited:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Cell phones are not as good a choice as a VHF radio, every "working" boat in the united states is required to have not only one but two VHF radio's. The United States Coast Guard does not moniter cell phones, thats the NSA. If a boat goes by you I doubt you could use ESP to channel thier phone number. Two last things on boats and cell phones.............do the words "Can you hear me now" mean anything, and fixed mt VHF's are extremely tough, and most have a 3 yr waterproof warranty. How many pieces does a cell phone break into when dropped?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    he didnt have cell coverage..

doubt vhf handheld would have helped in that case, I suggest a permanent mount 25 watt radio with a nice antenna that can fold down..

smart on the crack barrel.. glad it worked out..

Top Bottom