Is Banning Gay Marriage Constitutional?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah, but I didn't think y'all would be this passionate online. It's been interesting.

I'm not passionate about gay rights. I just like debating with people who are using, as I see it, fallacies to support their opinions. Whether gays get the paper work or not, my life won't change, and I won't feel like they're being oppressed or anything.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm not passionate about gay rights. I just like debating with people who are using, as I see it, fallacies to support their opinions. Whether gays get the paper work or not, my life won't change, and I won't feel like they're being oppressed or anything.

Well, I don''t know how old you are but my guess is that you're still young enough (meaning life experiences) not to understand that everything really is relative. Most things in this life are dove-tailed together one way or another. It might not be today or tomorrow, or even at all that it affects you on a personal level, but my point is that any sort of a societal shift of this magnitude usually has an impact.

Ockham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Well, I don''t know how old you are but my guess is that you're still young enough (meaning life experiences) not to understand that everything really is relative. Most things in this life are dove-tailed together one way or another. It might not be today or tomorrow, or even at all that it affects you on a personal level, but my point is that any sort of a societal shift of this magnitude usually has an impact.

What impact of great magnitude did interacial marriages bring to our society?

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA

Society has already shifted. The laws just haven't caught up yet. As with everything, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. For example, I think reading kindergartners a story about gay penguins (or whatever the hell it was) is definitely over the line. Kids that age only need to understand mommy and daddy. I don't feel that giving gay people legal marriage rights crosses that line though.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    What impact of great magnitude did interacial marriages bring to our society?

It would become more accepted and happen more and more often. Children would begin to see it as OK. Now, regardless of your race, would you be just as pleased to hear your daughter announce her marriage to a man of a different race? If you don't have kids, you're not really even qualified to answer, so just consider it rhetorical and food for thought.

Society has already shifted. The laws just haven't caught up yet. As with everything, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. For example, I think reading kindergartners a story about gay penguins (or whatever the hell it was) is definitely over the line. Kids that age only need to understand mommy and daddy. I don't feel that giving gay people legal marriage rights crosses that line though.

You're right to a point; society may have already shifted. This is not about whether or not homos exist, it's about pouring gasoline on their fire. It's about the majority of the population saying, "yes, we think what you're doing there is OK". Making gay marriage legal, IMO, is "crossing the line". Get back in the closet, don't hold hands and kiss in public. That's nasty and I don't want my kids to see it.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You're right to a point; society may have already shifted. This is not about whether or not homos exist, it's about pouring gasoline on their fire. It's about the majority of the population saying, "yes, we think what you're doing there is OK". Making gay marriage legal, IMO, is "crossing the line". Get back in the closet, don't hold hands and kiss in public. That's nasty and I don't want my kids to see it.

As I've said before, there are plenty of things that I believe are immoral which I still think should be legal. I don't approve of them, but that individual should be able to choose how to lead his or her life.

Obese in ill fitting clothes is pretty nasty too, but I don't expect them to hide. Would you want your kids to see a woman in some sort of hoochie outfit? That's legal.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've got a solution. How about our gov't quit recognizing marriages all together. It really has nothing to do with law anyway. It can be substituted with a contract to say you want to share finances and possessions with whoever. That's all a marriage license really amounts to.

Woods

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    I've got a solution. How about our gov't quit recognizing marriages all together. It really has nothing to do with law anyway. It can be substituted with a contract to say you want to share finances and possessions with whoever. That's all a marriage license really amounts to.

But that won't satisfy women... they need to be MARRIED. I'm not sure what it is, maybe something about security and thinking someone will never leave you or whatever... but even marriage doesn't guarantee that. I don't pretend to understand it, because I don't. It's kinda funny to laught at though... it's the whole reason I got married. lol

I was wondering how long it would take someone to say "I'm older than you, so I know more"... took longer than I thought.

My Father-in-Law does that all the time... drives me up the wall. He makes up some bologna and when I question him, his immediate answer is "my 52 years on Earth tells me so." 52 years in the same 50 mile radius has the potential to make you a brilliant observer of that 50 mile radius... and nothing else.

I can honestly tell you that gay folks getting married would do nothing to me... literally nothing.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    But that won't satisfy women... they need to be MARRIED. I'm not sure what it is, maybe something about security and thinking someone will never leave you or whatever... but even marriage doesn't guarantee that. I don't pretend to understand it, because I don't. It's kinda funny to laught at though... it's the whole reason I got married. lol

I was wondering how long it would take someone to say "I'm older than you, so I know more"... took longer than I thought.

My Father-in-Law does that all the time... drives me up the wall. He makes up some bologna and when I question him, his immediate answer is "my 52 years on Earth tells me so." 52 years in the same 50 mile radius has the potential to make you a brilliant observer of that 50 mile radius... and nothing else.

I can honestly tell you that gay folks getting married would do nothing to me... literally nothing.

People can still get married, but it would not be a big legal to-do. Only religious... or whatever for those who aren't religious.

reelkaos

Rookie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Springfield
    30 pages of discussion, that is how they do it. A little separation at a time until we are all divided. These issues and a few others will keep us busy (the average sheeple) until the country is is not America as we know it.

Gay rights/marriage
    Abortion
    Multi-culturalism
    Evironmentalism

The way to fight it is to ignore all of this BS and get back to the Constitution.

IMHO :D

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    30 pages of discussion, that is how they do it. A little separation at a time until we are all divided. These issues and a few others will keep us busy (the average sheeple) until the country is is not America as we know it.

Gay rights/marriage
    Abortion
    Multi-culturalism
    Evironmentalism

The way to fight it is to ignore all of this BS and get back to the Constitution.

IMHO :D

Then you'd have these discussions on a state level. The Constitution is a restrictive document. It wasn't intended to answer every question.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Many blacks do not appreciate gay marriage being paralleled with their civil rights struggle. You can't pick your skin color. But you can pick your partner. I'm not talking about B and W marriages but the struggle as a whole.

The vast amount of Blacks look at Whites very curiously with regards to the gay issue. It's not tolerated at all in the Black community and you will very, very rarely see an openly gay Black male being acknowledged, much less accepted, in the Black community. He's more likely to get rolled - not that assaulting someone is justifiable, either. There was one in my neighborhood as a child and he was methodically beaten like a proverbial drum weekly until his mother moved.

We have aberrant behavior trying to be made Mainstream. It's being forced down everyone's throats and I find it extremely odd that apparently normal persons would vouch for the horrible behavior.

Top Bottom