Isaac?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Watch and wait I guess. I'm going to cut the grass tomorrow and fill a couple gas cans. If it keeps leaning west I'll get all the loose stuff around the house put up. We're alright otherwise. Got propane, canned food, etc. We rode out every hurricane including Katrina without too much trouble.

My only concern is our front bay windows. It's probably 5 feet square, one piece glass, inner and out pane with plastic lattice in the middle. The one facing north is intact. The one facing west had the outside pane blown out by a lawnmower and it hasn't been replaced yet, so all we have is the inside pane. I may have to board that one up as I'm worried about too much wind pressure on only the one pane.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Farmerville
    I've been watching it. Seems like every update is a more westward shift. We finally got some much needed rain over the past few weeks (5" last week alone) and could use SOME more, but not that much.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Is this really happening on the anniversary of Katrina? This sucks I'm still up in Wyoming and the plant had an explosion yesterday, no one was hurt thank God, but I don't know when I'll be able to get home. And now we got a huricane coming.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Is this really happening on the anniversary of Katrina? This sucks I'm still up in Wyoming and the plant had an explosion yesterday, no one was hurt thank God, but I don't know when I'll be able to get home. And now we got a huricane coming.

I didnt even realize that, it would be on the anniversary of Katrina. I missed that one and Rita and all since then from being overseas. But the wife is home and will have to deal with this one on her own.

This is scary!!!
    http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevPage=Param&MainPage=index&image=&page=Param&cycle=08%2F26%2F2012+00UTC&rname=UPPER+AIR+PARMS&pname=500_vort_ht&pdesc=&model=GFS&area=NAMER&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE&fcast=6+Day+Loop&areaDesc=North+America+-+US+Canada+and+northern+Mexico&prevArea=NAMER&currKey=model&returnToModel=&imageSize=L

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Well, when Katrina hit I was living in Slidell for a lil less than 2 years, I had just bought $3500 in furniture for my apartment. Now I have been back in Slidell for about 1 year and 3 months and I just spent a butt load on a sectional. Hmmmmm Not cool.... Not cool at all.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Not looking forward to packing up and heading to my brothers. Might just ride it out.... I should be alright unless the levees break Right? I live down old hwy 11 aka Pontchartrain Drive close to Eden isles. water on both sides.... FML

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    IDK what I am doing yet. If I had a safe place to keep my car I would probably stay :/

Ahh...I don't know about that. Do you remember what happened to your area after Katrina? I seem to remember you posting that you moved there recently. I tried to drive in there about 2 weeks after the storm and I was speechless for hours. It was devastating.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Very true, better safe than sorry I suppose. I remember when I came back after Katrina, I was dumbfounded. Boats in the middle of the road, the watermark was about eye level in my apartment. Isaac is projected to be a 1 maybe a weak 2 by the time it hits. I am just not looking forward to packing up all my stuff, I'll probably head out Monday night.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My parents moved out of eden isles just before Katrina (Thank God!). They were about 8' above the street, 14' above the canals. Their old house had about 5' of water inside. One of the neighbor's boats lifted up into the top of his boat lift and crushed the top and that was about 15' above the bulkhead. Where you are is significantly lower than eden isles. Even taking in to consideration the fact that this storm is no Katrina, I think you're taking a chance. If you have some place to go, go there. If nothing else you might miss being stranded on an island in the dark with no AC.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Yea Im gonna go. My brothers house is hooked up to a propane generator that runs the whole house and his father in law is the propane king of the south :p So i'll go rough it in the AC at his house :)

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Isaac is projected to be a 1 maybe a weak 2 by the time it hits.

Even taking into consideration the fact that this storm is no Katrina
    Do NOT underestimate this storm. It's clear of Cuba, circulation and convection are aligning, and it has a LONG time to spend over the Gulf.

Keep in mind too that NOLA got the WEAK side of Katrina! If Isaac were to traverse NW, essentially tracking up the Mississippi and passing just west of the city (as one of the models is predicting) the effects would probably equal or exceed that of Katrina. The NE (strong quadrant) winds would push the surge in through the Mississippi Sound, Lake Borgne, and Lake Pontchartrain, and I think there would be REAL problems. Any similar track, just to the west of NOLA, is big trouble.

EXACTLY 7 years ago, I sat in St. Bernard during the night and early morning hours of August 26-27, 2005, carefully tracking Katrina. I watched the models slowly converge. At 4AM on the 27th, an update came out, and ALL of them were right over us. This was at K minus 48 hours. I woke up my wife, and said we needed to start packing, because we wouldn't have a house after it was all over. The forecast was dead-on, and so was I.

I figure that by tomorrow morning, we'll know where Isaac is heading. Start getting your sh!t together NOW if you haven't already, just in case.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Do NOT underestimate this storm. It's clear of Cuba, circulation and convection are aligning, and it has a LONG time to spend over the Gulf.

Keep in mind too that NOLA got the WEAK side of Katrina! If Isaac were to traverse NW, essentially tracking up the Mississippi and passing just west of the city (as one of the models is predicting) the effects would probably equal or exceed that of Katrina. The NE (strong quadrant) winds would push the surge in through the Mississippi Sound, Lake Borgne, and Lake Pontchartrain, and I think there would be REAL problems. Any similar track, just to the west of NOLA, is big trouble.

EXACTLY 7 years ago, I sat in St. Bernard during the night and early morning hours of August 26-27, 2005, carefully tracking Katrina. I watched the models slowly converge. At 4AM on the 27th, an update came out, and ALL of them were right over us. This was at K minus 48 hours. I woke up my wife, and said we needed to start packing, because we wouldn't have a house after it was all over. The forecast was dead-on, and so was I.

I figure that by tomorrow morning, we'll know where Isaac is heading. Start getting your sh!t together NOW if you haven't already, just in case.

Agreed Greg. I'd much rather be ready, than be caught with my pants down. I got out this morning and got everything ready by 11am. Call me paranoid, but water doesn't go bad, and the gas can be burned in the vehicles later if not needed in a generator.

Top Bottom