IWB With Thumbreak

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I like a thumb break. It gives a bit more security. Unfortunately, I haven't found a holster that has a thumb break that I like. I'll eventually have one custom made.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A thumbreak is better than a tradional strap, if it's a no-tension holster that will allow the gun to fall out if you bend over.

If it's tensioned, like most seem to be these days, then a thumbstrap would seem unneccessary and undesirable.

If it's a super-comfy leather with no tension, you just have to decide if it's staying put just from your pants and belt pressure under the conditions you will carry. Probably doesn't matter for walking around and sitting down. If you anticipate running or climbling or tumbling, then maybe so.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    itp.jpg

Many thanks for all the replies. Must be required in some cases for law enforcement. The maker of these two is a retired LEO who seems to be onto something when it comes to holsters. Myself, I didn't see the use of a thumb break. Thanks again for the replies.

standarditp.jpg

Not to plug any particular builder, but FYI some nice designs herr: http://www.taurisholsters.com/products.cfm

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hope nobody is offended by this... and if you are, sin loi... :D

A thumb break on an IWB holster is like wearing a rubber while choking your chicken... why in the world would you WANT to???

Boy, that's an analogy if I've ever seen one!!!
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    I must not be the only one drinking cheap booze late at night around here. Choke your chicken with a rubber on...jesus, that would be totally useless...time for a refill.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Hope nobody is offended by this... and if you are, sin loi... :D

A thumb break on an IWB holster is like wearing a rubber while choking your chicken... why in the world would you WANT to???

Steve , are you speaking from experience ? No , wait . don't answer that . :eek3:

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I have a Bianchi "pistol pocket" it was an IWB with a thumbbreak for a full size 1911. A great holster, never had issues with the thumbsnap, or the safety on the 1911 for that matter. Still have the holster, thumbbreak was removed due to the leather cracking, stitching is letting go as well after 30 + yrs of service.

I have a had a 3913 come out of a Milt Sparks IWB. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another thumbreak design.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Not IMO, the design that was posted in the picture doesn't allow for a thight enough fit between weapon and holster as most of them are not hand built any more, if you are looking into an IWB holster that is a thight fit, hand made and shaped to your specific weapon look into Nick Mathews, he makes an IWB holster that is a cross between the old style like the pic and the newer style like a crossbreed with a leather "plate". Also if you go that route add the reinforcement so u can re holster with one hand as most leather holsters tend to cave in once the weapon is drawn, he also burns the edges for years of service.

Top Bottom