J-Frame vs LCR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So I’ve had a J-Frame 442 for years and really like it, lately I have been shooting it more and I have decided to add another DAO snub nose to my rotation. My question is will the LCR offer any benefits over the J-Frame?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I've got both. (My S&W is a Bodyguard).
    1721906124430.png

I prefer to carry the LCRx because I'm less concerned with the finish. They weigh about the same. Same capacity. The Hogue grips on the LCR are a bit more forgiving. The sights are similar.

I see no real benefit in buying another revolver, other than you can only have too many if your swimming.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I've got both. (My S&W is a Bodyguard).View attachment 169231
    I prefer to carry the LCRx because I'm less concerned with the finish. They weigh about the same. Same capacity. The Hogue grips on the LCR are a bit more forgiving. The sights are similar.

I see no real benefit in buying another revolver, other than you can only have too many if your swimming.

That’s a beautiful gun. I’m gonna buy another one regardless. I already have 2 J-Frames so was thinking about getting something different this time, the LCR and J-Frame are really the only ones that fits the bill.

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    I have both as well the finish on smith isnt the greatest. Costs more to cerakote than the gun is worth. Lcr 357 you can shoot 38s as well. That hogue tamer grip is more pleasant to shoot hot loads

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I do love my 442 J-Frame so much I bought a second one that’s never been fired, love the way it shoots and it’s easy to carry. However I’m having the itch to get another snub nose and after reading the above post I’m feeling better about giving the LCR a try. I’m gonna dedicate a year or so to just training with the little revolver and see what kinda improvement I can get with it.

Another one I’m gonna look at is the Kimber K6 however it’s probably gonna be entirely too nice for how I use/carry guns.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    When you get into .357's, be it the LCR, or the K-6, weight increases significantly.

If you can afford the K-6, and don't mind the extra weight, it's a great gun. Carry it with 158gr .357 hollow points and it will be much more
    effective than a .38 spl.

Everything is a compromise.

Frequently I carry a small .22 magnum revolver because it fits in a pocket.

proplaya

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    SW 340PD is the perfect pocket carry in my opinion. .38s only though. Have been carrying one for nearly 15 years. Been meditating on getting another to have a clean one and a dirty one (like when I cut the grass). Might just get a 442 but I thing the extra weight will annoy me.

Would like to know how an LCR fits in the pocket.

I didn’t help answer your question at all.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    When you get into .357's, be it the LCR, or the K-6, weight increases significantly.

If you can afford the K-6, and don't mind the extra weight, it's a great gun. Carry it with 158gr .357 hollow points and it will be much more
    effective than a .38 spl.

Everything is a compromise.

Frequently I carry a small .22 magnum revolver because it fits in a pocket.
    Weight is the main reason I think the K6 wouldn’t work for me but I wanna at least handle one before I exclude it (it’s a good looking gun for sure).

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    SW 340PD is the perfect pocket carry in my opinion. .38s only though. Have been carrying one for nearly 15 years. Been meditating on getting another to have a clean one and a dirty one (like when I cut the grass). Might just get a 442 but I thing the extra weight will annoy me.

Why .38 only isn’t it chambered for .357 as well?

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Have shot both extensively, along with many other revolvers over the years. I've rotated through all the pocket carry options, but a snub nose revolver is the one gun that never gets left at home.

The trigger pull on the LCRs (both rimfire and centerfire) is noticeably better, though you can get something similar on a j-frame with a simple spring kit. Also, I prefer the smooth trigger face on the LCR over the grooved trigger on the j-frame. Less blisters on my baby soft hands during long range sessions. The trigger guard on the LCR is larger. It felt weird at first, but found I actually prefer it. Your trigger finger is less likely to get pinched.

LCR wins on grip options IMO. It uses a little grip peg that makes the minimum possible grip size quite small and short. The boot grip for the LCR is excellent for concealment and smaller than all but the smallest grips you can get for a j-frame, but it's almost a 1 and 3/4 finger grip. The Hogue tamer grips permit a mostly full grip, are larger than almost any j-frame grips, and more comfortable. You can also get an even larger extended grip for the LCR that is super comfortable. Aftermarket grip selection for the j-frames with things like G10 grips is better. Ruger selection has gotten better over the years since the LCR was introduced.

Holster availability for both is about even.

Weights are roughly the same.

Adding a fiber optic or tritium front sight on the LCR is easier. Replacing pinned j-frame front sights will require a drill press, fixture, and the world's tiniest drill bit.

Anything from S&W other than the basic 442/642 is going to be more expensive.

The new Ultimate Carry guns look about perfect, especially in 32, but I have not had my hands on one yet. They're expensive.

Consider a revolver in another caliber. The 317 kit gun makes a pleasant shooting trainer for a snub nose centerfire, and is handy for taking care of pests in the garden. It will take you a lifetime to break even on ammunition cost given the cost. Ruger also offers slightly larger LCRs in a variety of calibers.

After having gone through countless pocket carry and range options, including the 340PD, 43C, LCR and LCRx, airweight j-frames, stainless j-frames, small 380s and 32s, I finally ended up with the S&W 431C in 22 Mag. High volume training with the 340PD even in 38 had become such a chore that I no longer looked forward to it. I accept the ballistic limitations of the 22 WMR cartridge. It has about 20% more recoil than the same gun in 22, vastly better ballistics, 7 rounds, and is among the lightest options. Ammunition cost is midway between 22LR and 38, with defensive rounds at a reasonable price.

If Ruger offered a 22 magnum snub, I probably would have went with that instead of the 431.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Have shot both extensively, along with many other revolvers over the years. I've rotated through all the pocket carry options, but a snub nose revolver is the one gun that never gets left at home.

The trigger pull on the LCRs (both rimfire and centerfire) is noticeably better, though you can get something similar on a j-frame with a simple spring kit. Also, I prefer the smooth trigger face on the LCR over the grooved trigger on the j-frame. Less blisters on my baby soft hands during long range sessions. The trigger guard on the LCR is larger. It felt weird at first, but found I actually prefer it. Your trigger finger is less likely to get pinched.

LCR wins on grip options IMO. It uses a little grip peg that makes the minimum possible grip size quite small and short. The boot grip for the LCR is excellent for concealment and smaller than all but the smallest grips you can get for a j-frame, but it's almost a 1 and 3/4 finger grip. The Hogue tamer grips permit a mostly full grip, are larger than almost any j-frame grips, and more comfortable. You can also get an even larger extended grip for the LCR that is super comfortable. Aftermarket grip selection for the j-frames with things like G10 grips is better. Ruger selection has gotten better over the years since the LCR was introduced.

Holster availability for both is about even.

Weights are roughly the same.

Adding a fiber optic or tritium front sight on the LCR is easier. Replacing pinned j-frame front sights will require a drill press, fixture, and the world's tiniest drill bit.

Anything from S&W other than the basic 442/642 is going to be more expensive.

The new Ultimate Carry guns look about perfect, especially in 32, but I have not had my hands on one yet. They're expensive.

Consider a revolver in another caliber. The 317 kit gun makes a pleasant shooting trainer for a snub nose centerfire, and is handy for taking care of pests in the garden. It will take you a lifetime to break even on ammunition cost given the cost. Ruger also offers slightly larger LCRs in a variety of calibers.

After having gone through countless pocket carry and range options, including the 340PD, 43C, LCR and LCRx, airweight j-frames, stainless j-frames, small 380s and 32s, I finally ended up with the S&W 431C in 22 Mag. High volume training with the 340PD even in 38 had become such a chore that I no longer looked forward to it. I accept the ballistic limitations of the 22 WMR cartridge. It has about 20% more recoil than the same gun in 22, vastly better ballistics, 7 rounds, and is among the lightest options. Ammunition cost is midway between 22LR and 38, with defensive rounds at a reasonable price.

If Ruger offered a 22 magnum snub, I probably would have went with that instead of the 431.
    Awesome post! I did handle the Ultimate Carry and it is awesome the grip is amazing, unfortunately I often work on heavy equipment and the butt of my gun gets beat however I may get it for weekend carry lol.

I shoot the j-frame well, I’m satisfied with everything about it honestly I’m just having a itch for something else, I’m not sure getting something like the Ultimate carry isn’t gonna just feel like my 442.

Caliber wise I’m pretty set on staying with .38 spl mostly because of the stockpile of it I have.

If I do get something besides a j-frame it’ll probably be the LCR, the Kimber is beautiful but for my type of carry I think the weight will be an issue.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Something to consider.

A Charter Arms Pathfinder weights 18 oz.
    In .22 magnum it gives you eight shots, with minimal recoil
    It's inexpensive at a bit over $400.
    .22 Magnum ammunition made for short barreled revolvers is an effective option.

1722006659648.png

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.

I don’t pocket carry mine but have ankled carried various flavors of S&W .38 hammerless revolvers over the years. I’ve been carrying the 340PD for probably the last ten years just because it’s cool and light and I wanted one when I was a cop but couldn’t afford it. It weighs the same loaded that a 442 does empty. I don’t run .357 in it because it’s just dumb in a barrel that short.

The LCR is nice but it does that weird rattle thing when you shake it.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I don’t pocket carry mine but have ankled carried various flavors of S&W .38 hammerless revolvers over the years. I’ve been carrying the 340PD for probably the last ten years just because it’s cool and light and I wanted one when I was a cop but couldn’t afford it. It weighs the same loaded that a 442 does empty. I don’t run .357 in it because it’s just dumb in a barrel that short.

The LCR is nice but it does that weird rattle thing when you shake it.
    The rattle is something I didn’t know about, thanks for pointing that out. The two main things I hear people talk about is: the trigger is easy to short stroke giving a false reset (I generally don’t shoot semi autos from the reset so probably wouldn’t be an issue for me) and sometimes the cylinder keeps spinning when closed. However most agree it’s a proven platform but sometimes little corks like that drive me crazy.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    The rattle is something I didn’t know about, thanks for pointing that out. The two main things I hear people talk about is: the trigger is easy to short stroke giving a false reset (I generally don’t shoot semi autos from the reset so probably wouldn’t be an issue for me) and sometimes the cylinder keeps spinning when closed. However most agree it’s a proven platform but sometimes little corks like that drive me crazy.

Yeah, pick one up and shake it and you will hear the rattle. Then pull the trigger and hold it back and shake it, no rattle. It is apparently the firing pin block that has no tension on it at rest. It is said to be normal by Ruger. I don’t think it’s a problem but it does bug some people.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom