J-Frame vs LCR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Yeah, pick one up and shake it and you will hear the rattle. Then pull the trigger and hold it back and shake it, no rattle. It is apparently the firing pin block that has no tension on it at rest. It is said to be normal by Ruger. I don’t think it’s a problem but it does bug some people.
    Thanks for that info, I’m someone it would most likely bug.

Golden Ruger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2024
    Ponchatoula
    I recently sold my 638 due to the small grips and me having large paws. It was hard to keep on target with +P rounds and the trigger guard was a little too small. Loved the single action option and the weight was great.The LCR is next on my list just not sure if I'm staying with 38 or going 9mm. I'm carrying my Taurus 905 until I decide.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I recently sold my 638 due to the small grips and me having large paws. It was hard to keep on target with +P rounds and the trigger guard was a little too small. Loved the single action option and the weight was great.The LCR is next on my list just not sure if I'm staying with 38 or going 9mm. I'm carrying my Taurus 905 until I decide.
    I would love the 9mm LCR but would destroy the moon clips trying to EDC them.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So looked at a bunch of revolvers and I can say I like the J-Frame much more than the LCR, however I’m not sure S&Ws quality is what it once was. I looked at a 340 and at over $900.00 the lockup, fit and finish did not impress me for the price. At this point I’ll look for older model J-Frames or just get the LCR. The LCR isn’t what I’d call a pass it down to the grandkids gun but I think it’s a perfectly capable tool.

Big thanks to everyone that added input it definitely helped.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Ruger does make a 6 shot 22 Magnum snub.
    I'd steer clear of the Pathfinder 22 Magnum. I bought a new 4.2" barrel Pathfinder 8 shot 22 magnum. They cylinder wouldn't advance after test firing. I sent it back to Charter Arms. They kept it for 2 months waiting for new 22 magnum cylinders to come in. When they came in, they were all defective and I got tired of waiting and had them replace it with a 22LR Pathfinder. So far that one has been fine with no problems but is not a 22 Mag which I had originally purchased. I like the Ruger LCRx 3" 22 mag, but it is only a 6 shot.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    @bigtattoo79

To me there's nothing particularly nice about the LCR 38 and "the weird rattle" just made it feel cheap (although it's perfectly normal) so I passed it along. It did have a better trigger than my old 442 but I finally got around to installing a Wilson spring kit so I'm very pleased with my 442 trigger pull, perfect balance. Looking for perfect grips (see my recent post) now.

My other snubs are Ruger SP101's and if you've never held one -you might really like it. Not a pocket gun for sure but one premium example of firearm craftsmanship. For me the SP101 revolver has a lot going for it, can conceal, is built like a tank, can handle 357 rounds without regrets, has a classy appearance.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    @bigtattoo79

To me there's nothing particularly nice about the LCR 38 and "the weird rattle" just made it feel cheap (although it's perfectly normal) so I passed it along. It did have a better trigger than my old 442 but I finally got around to installing a Wilson spring kit so I'm very pleased with my 442 trigger pull, perfect balance. Looking for perfect grips (see my recent post) now.

My other snubs are Ruger SP101's and if you've never held one -you might really like it. Not a pocket gun for sure but one premium example of firearm craftsmanship. For me the SP101 revolver has a lot going for it, can conceal, is built like a tank, can handle 357 rounds without regrets, has a classy appearance.
    I did look at the LCR again and I can confidently say it’s not for me, but I see why some people like it.

I did look at the SP101 at one time and think the lack of IWB kydex holster availability was the only reason I avoided it at that time but I need to look at it again.

For now the best option I’ve found is my trusty little 442.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    How about the smith bodyguard in 38spl? I have one, have not shot it yet. Perhaps someone with some experience on it could chime in.

Top Bottom