JadeRaven's Not Very Deep Thoughts On His Favorite AR Mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Here's a really in-depth review with some expert photography and truly profound insight on my favorite AR-15 magazines. Oh yeah.

First up the Rev-M pmag.
    CIMG0365.jpg

You all know what a PMAG is. About $12 bucks at the cheapest without windows. Magpul, polymer, run over it with a sumo wrestler, last forever, etc. The thing I like about the Rev-M is the dust cover snaps to the bottom, so you don't lose it. The thing I don't like about it is that there's a dust cover that Magpul feels the need to provide you with, to ease pressure on the feed lips and prevent debris from making your ammo all funky. Thing is when I've got my mags stored I don't store them with debris, and in the "tactical" environment where you might get them dirty, who has the time to flip off a cover when you need to re-load? And last and probably least important, I can't seem to get stripper clips to really work with these polymer mags, as the little tool even with modification doesn't want to hold onto the grooves in the polymer and just rips them all up. Anyway besides that they're still pretty sweet.

Now the old regular style windowed Pmag.
    CIMG0364.jpg

This one's in OD-green. Matches my OD magpul furniture, and pretty close to my OD tuff-coat EA lower. Pretty spiffy. Now, this would be a Rev-M pmag, but because Magpul is slow to produce the colors and stores are slow to sell their old stock, when you order a new one you get the old one. That sucks. And the only places that actually ship the new Rev-M window OD pmags charge MSRP or close to it. I pity the fool who pays MSRP. Oh yeah, these dustcovers don't snap to the bottom, so the one for this mag in particular is long gone.
    The window itself is pretty small. To me, it's pretty much useful only for seeing if the mag is loaded or not. Magpul put a orange line on one of the springs, which as the mag is unloaded will line up next to a number on the side of the mag (which is the same color as the mag), so you can tell how much is left when you can no longer see the first three or four rounds. I suppose this enables one in a battle to look down at the mag, put his reading glasses on, search for some orange line and try to figure out how much ammo is left. Not terribly useful, but still cooler than the windowless mags. I'm still unsure as to whether or not they're worth the extra four or five bucks per mag vs the standard ones.

Next up is the Lancer L5
    CIMG0366.jpg

Oh yeah Lancer L5. They're not the newest on the block, now replaced by the L5A. The L5 has a big rib on the side of the mag, essentially for structural support from what I can gather, as opposed to the new L5A which has a much flatter side. Supposedly this helps out the folks who put them next to each other in mag pouches and mag carriers. Maybe one day I'll be fancy and have a mag carrier, but now I just pick them up because they're quite a bit cheaper than the new ones.
    What I really like about the Lancer is that it's translucent. You can see all of your beautiful ammo inside the mag. Awesome. I know this isn't really all that important, but the cool factor is pretty big in my book. Next up I like the steel feed lips. There's no worry of creep or spreading of weak plastic feed lips, and no need for covers to take the pressure off. The mags themselves feel every bit as durable as the polymer PMAG's, and I have not yet had a malfunction. Some folks are upset that the lancers do not feature an anti-tilt follower, but Lancer says that their mags "don't need anti-tilt followers." However, Lancer tells us that their next mags are going to feature anti-tilt followers. These marketing people really are full of some shits. But it's still a nice product. Oh and stripper clips work out great with these mags, must be the steel feed lips and grooves.

And here's the L5A
    CIMG0367.jpg

L5A, as said above, has a flat side. I'm sure someone could tell you some other great details as well. I notice nothing else except a higher pricetag. Maybe I'll pick some up once the price drops down.

And finally my last favorite mag, the C-products 40 rounder.
    CIMG0363.jpg

Normally I don't like these steel mags. I'm a child of the 80's, so I believe that plastics make it possible. But I picked up a couple of these for ten bucks a pop, they go on sale every once in awhile it seems. They're big and hold 40 rounds. That's a lot of rounds. It looks silly. But it's awesome. Only thing that I don't like about them is that they're pretty ridiculous to load into a magwell on a closed bolt. The PMAG's and Lancers click in with a firm press. These require a hard smack and even then I don't always know they're in there until I tug to check. But 40 rounds is worth it. Sure it's more difficult to "go prone," but who wants to lay down on the ground anyway. Most of y'all old folks might need help getting up after laying on the floor, and the height of these 40 round mags might make that a little bit easier to prop yourself up.

I'm so glad you read my thread and I'm sure you all feel very enlightened. :)

Last edited:

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I personally don't like the PMags at all, despite all the hype. I don't need to be able to run my magazines over with a truck. I need to be able to insert them into a gun and know that they will function. At the very least the 20 rounders have given me serious issues and I would never in a million years trust one when it counted.

Maybe after another ten years or so of R&D and track history I'll be comfortable with them. In the meantime, I generally use nothing but mil-spec.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I personally don't like the PMags at all, despite all the hype. I don't need to be able to run my magazines over with a truck. I need to be able to insert them into a gun and know that they will function. At the very least the 20 rounders have given me serious issues and I would never in a million years trust one when it counted.

Maybe after another ten years or so of R&D and track history I'll be comfortable with them. In the meantime, I generally use nothing but mil-spec.

I know what you meant to say, but after that statement which is contradictory to 98% of people who actually shoot for a living or a great deal experience, you might want to at least use the correct terminology.

PMAGS are MILSPEC because they are purchased by the military on contract adn meet the specifications set forth by the military...hence "Mil-Spec". Your improper use of that term leads me to believe your opinon is maybe moreso derived from the fact that your favorite DVD instuctor, Airsoft champion, or magazine writer does not have a warm fuzzy about them. Or maybe your scope of experience with magazines in general is slightly less verbose than most. Not trying to be an ass, but just saying that your statement is rather bold and is not supported by those with greater experience where it matters than both of us combined.

It is much more probable that the magwell of your rifle is out of "spec", and thus the problems.

unless you have some great pool of experience that you are not sharing, I think I will trust the literally thousands of PMAGS I have seen run without issue, barring one finally physically cracking and failing-one--out of thousands. Couuple that with the fact that people I am around who actually do depend on their weapon DAILY to save their life, and it has, and those of their brother's in arms literally BEG for them, and i have given more away in the last 4 months than I have probably ever personally owned, tells me a little something.

However, in my personal first-hand military, training, and professional experience, aluminum GI mags fail at a signifigantly higher rate (which is still not signifigant overall) than PMAGS due to denting, weld breaking, and increased fouling to name a few reasons.

While it is obvious your mileage varies, something tells me we are not on the same road. You may want to have your mag well checked for spec. Then again, your 2-3 20 rounders may just be from a bad lot. It happens.

However, I DO currently trust my life daily to PMAGS and will contiunue to do so when I have the opprtunity.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    There's been known issues with the 20 rounders. I've had issues with mine, but only when using that cheapo Russian steel case ammo. My theory is the spring is weak or just not dialed in properly, and when combined with the weak plinking ammo it just can't get the round fed quick enough. Either way, the 20rd PMags are range use only for me.

Never had a single issue with the 30rd PMags though, and they are by far my magazine of choice. I do have a couple stacks of aluminum mags and they've worked well for me too, but the PMags just have more to offer. No, my mag probably won't get run over by a truck, but then again I probably will never need to shoot my rifle in a defensive situation. But damned if I don't sleep better at night knowing I have my rifle, and knowing I could beat someone to death with my PMag if necessary. :D

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    There's been known issues with the 20 rounders. I've had issues with mine, but only when using that cheapo Russian steel case ammo. My theory is the spring is weak or just not dialed in properly, and when combined with the weak plinking ammo it just can't get the round fed quick enough. Either way, the 20rd PMags are range use only for me.

Never had a single issue with the 30rd PMags though, and they are by far my magazine of choice. I do have a couple stacks of aluminum mags and they've worked well for me too, but the PMags just have more to offer. No, my mag probably won't get run over by a truck, but then again I probably will never need to shoot my rifle in a defensive situation. But damned if I don't sleep better at night knowing I have my rifle, and knowing I could beat someone to death with my PMag if necessary. :D

That could be the case too. Even with GI mags, I have had more problems with 20 rounders than 30.

WHile I will not scoff at GI alum mags, if given my druthers, i will take PMAGS everytime.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I like and use the P-Mags. Recently however I stopped buying them in favor of the new Lancer Mags. I had a couple Feed Lip Cracking issues with the P-Mags. The guys I replaced here in A-Stan reported some of the same issues and had switched to the Lancers. They left us about a hundred Lancer Mags and we have beat them to hell and they still work great. I ordered 24 of them I caught on a Black Friday Sale and had them shipped home. They will be my First Line Mags when I get back. I have no plans to replace my P-Mags though. I will however be more diligent about inspecting the feed lips for cracks.

I gave up on GI Mags. I would take some of the new ones with Brown Followers if someone was giving them away but I wouldn't buy'em.

JR, were you being sarcastic about liking the C-Products Mag?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I like and use the P-Mags. Recently however I stopped buying them in favor of the new Lancer Mags. I had a couple Feed Lip Cracking issues with the P-Mags. The guys I replaced here in A-Stan reported some of the same issues and had switched to the Lancers. They left us about a hundred Lancer Mags and we have beat them to hell and they still work great. I ordered 24 of them I caught on a Black Friday Sale and had them shipped home. They will be my First Line Mags when I get back. I have no plans to replace my P-Mags though. I will however be more diligent about inspecting the feed lips for cracks.

Interesting, not sure why but I had completely written off Lancer as mall-ninja junk years ago. I'll have to give a couple of the new mags a shot. Do they make them non-translucent?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

I gave up on GI Mags. I would take some of the new ones with Brown Followers if someone was giving them away but I wouldn't buy'em.

JR, were you being sarcastic about liking the C-Products Mag?

Were the PMAGS that you had issues with the desert tan ones? I know there were some issues with those for a while for some reason.

i honestly have little experience with the Lancers. Glad to hear they are doing good.

Just to be clear, I am not saying PMAGS are infalliable--no mags are. However, with few exceptions, as noted here, they are still top teir as far as most professionals are concerned.

The Lancers worry me because they are see through. The enemy may be able to see I am low on ammo in my mag and mount an attack. ;)

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I worry everyday about the enemy counting my bullets:), but hey its the cross I bear. I was surprised by the Lancer stuff to. Now that I know more about how they came to be and some of the people involved in their design and testing I am more of a believer. I don't know if they make non-translucent ones to be honest. Yes the P-Mags that cracked were tan. Was there a color specific issue? I have no problem using and trusting the P-Mags I just like the Lancers better. It's funny among Marine and Army Fighting Units I encounter here I rarely see aluminum mags anymore. I think only the Fobbits are still using them. I doubt it will be long before the .mil stops buying them all together. I bet Magpul makes a killing on P-Mags. Its a good product they deserve to reap the rewards.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I worry everyday about the enemy counting my bullets:), but hey its the cross I bear. I was surprised by the Lancer stuff to. Now that I know more about how they came to be and some of the people involved in their design and testing I am more of a believer. I don't know if they make non-translucent ones to be honest. Yes the P-Mags that cracked were tan. Was there a color specific issue? I have no problem using and trusting the P-Mags I just like the Lancers better. It's funny among Marine and Army Fighting Units I encounter here I rarely see aluminum mags anymore. I think only the Fobbits are still using them. I doubt it will be long before the .mil stops buying them all together. I bet Magpul makes a killing on P-Mags. Its a good product they deserve to reap the rewards.

Yeah, don't quote me, but I talked with Travis about it, but I think a batch got lose when that color came out that just were not right for some reason and had some failures in the lips. As with any mag system, especially the AR, that is generally the weak spot. Ytou can actually buy PMAGS in the PX...when they have them.

Like you, I will stick with what I see works. Apparently in other corners of the worl, people's ecperiences vary. As long as I am in this corner of the world I will use what I see killing bad guys and saving good guys. But then again, my weapon of choice is not a Katana.:D

Though i **** you not, before I got here, there was apparently a guy that walked around base with dual short hkatanas crossed on his back like SnakeEYes in GI Joe or something. Needless to say it did not take long before he was fired. LOL

However, the Aghani's feared the **** out of him. LOL

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Interesting. I've seen/heard of enough pmag issues that I'm not interested in them for use in my corner of the world... and while it sounds like the emags are top shelf, again, in my little universe the USGI aluminums have yet to fail in years of use/abuse relative to what I do with them.

I had also written off the lancers as marketing gimmick, I may have to try a couple.

While it is apparent in more ways than one that you and I exist in different corners of the world, I have heard and experienced the opposite from you once again.

While the EMags are great for what they were designed for, many units here are not allowed to use the EMAGS because they were not specifically designed for US Mil-SPec guns like the PMags were. Hence, they experience more issues in our evil American guns than PMAGS or GI Mags.

But you said it best. It is all relative to your corner of the universe and you intended use. WHat works for you in home defense, training, or competition, may or may not work the same for me in a combat situation or different physical enviroment like dust vs. mud.

Go figure, our experiences and opinons differ...stanger things have happened. :cool:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Word. I actually carry a P-Mag 20 rounder on my Duty Belt at work. My First Gen Black P-Mags look like Hell and still work great.

Top Bottom