Jambalaya and pastalaya recipe help please!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    I know it's a shame to say but I was born and raised in south LA and I'm 23 years ole and never cooked my own jambalaya or pastalaya. So..... I was wondering if y'all can help me out with y'all recipe cause I would like to try and cook either one tomorrow by myself. Y'all don't have to give me secret traditions or anything just point me in the right direction, that's all. PLEASE & THANK YOU

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    boston butt, onions, bell pepper, celery, green onions, garlic, smoked sausage, rotel, A1, Worchestershire sauce, boneless skinless chicken thighs, salt, pepper, cayenne...there's a basic jambalaya. I add dawn fresh mushroom steak sauce, golden mushroom soup, and use mahatma long grain rice. Use par-boiled rice if this is your first time.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    Thanks man I was on the right track I cause I watched my dad and pleanty other people cook them but I never did my owne.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Keep it simple. Pork spare ribs cut into chunks and seasoned with salt, pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Some like to put smoked sausage, but I can't stand it. Coat a good black pot with oil and cook the meat until BROWNED! Close to burnt. Add your TRINITY (onions, bell pepper, and celery)<<< I like a little chopped garlic also. Add some chicken stock and boil the meat until tender. Add your rice(medium grain) and water. (Quick reference on water measurement is up to the first knuckle.) I add a teaspoon of oil to help the gravy stick to the rice. Get water to a boil and then reduce heat to low-medium and cover pot. Let cook for about 30-35 minutes and FLIP you rice. DO NOT STIR. It will make it mushy. Recover pot and let cook for another 10-15 minutes.

saint451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Hammond
    This is a quick simple recipe. Use a heavy pot with lid. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cut sausage into small pieces. I like to add some smoke deer meat sausage if I have it. I also remove sausage skin. start to saute med-high heat, then add chopped vegetables to saute. Stir to keep from burning. Add tomatoes and a pinch of sugar, add rice, and butter, stir, add broth stir, bring to slight boil. Turn to low, cover 30-35 minutes. This amount is simple and just about the right amount to not make the rice mushy as above mentioned. Remember this all depends on stove heat, pot, you can practice and come up with your own. Other meats can be added. I don't add salt until the end and have tasted it. Have fun making it and more eating it. A meal in a bowl!

JAMBALAYA

1 Onion
    ½ - 1 Bell Pepper (I like the cooked bell pepper flavor)
    ½ stalk celery (don't need unless you have)
    4 teaspoon garlic
    1 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
    1 Can Diced Tomatoes (and juice)
    1 Can Chicken Broth
    8" piece of sausage (a guide)
    1/4 stick of butter
    1-1/2 cups rice

Last edited:

doug426

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Slidell
    world's simplest Jambalaya
    combine the following in a dutch oven or electric roaster
    2 cans french onion soup
    2 cans chicken broth
    2 cans tomato sauce
    2 pounds sausage, 2pounds chicken thighs or shrimp
    2 tbsp cajun seasoning
    2 sticks butter
    3 cups uncle bens rice
    2 chopped bell peppers
    2 chopped bunches of green onions

cook covered at 350, should take about 2 hours
    sounds easy but it tastes great!!!!

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I see you are from nola, so I guess you can do it, but IMO tomatoes have no place in jambalaya.

^^^^ This! I love seeing all the crap people put in their pots. The way my grandma taught me, is less is more. Too many different flavors can mess up something good. I would love to go to the Jambalaya cook-offs outside of Acadiana and see the concoctions people call jambalaya.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    http://www.cajuncreations.com/Recipes/entree.aspx#Pasta_Jambalaya

This pasta jambalaya is a great foundation to modify to your taste. I've tried it with different pastas and I usually add more liquid than it calls for so there's a little more "gravy" in the mix.

http://db.tt/cvigyUF6

The above link is the Tiger Droppings Jambalaya Calculator. It is written toward the Gonzales Jambalaya competition rules. Gives you the basic ingredients that you are permitted to use and gives you the proper quantity of water to rice to meat to what size pot you have or # of people you want to serve. Also a great foundation to modify for your tastes.

+1 no tomatoes in my cast iron pots. I also find that parboiled rice works good and doesnt stick to the bottom as much

Parboiled rice is good to use if you want to guarantee you end up with no crunchy rice at the end. I like to think of it as training wheels. I'm learning to cook jambalaya in a 5 gallon pot and have used parboiled rice to make sure I don't screw the rice up. I like regular long grain rice and the graton at the bottom of jambalaya pots from long grain rice. Not so much par-boiled rice.

Last edited:

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363728597.015778.jpg

Never tried it yet but it looks edible!

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    First of all the jambalaya came out great !! So thanks to all of y'all that replied, I just browned my seasoned meat(smoked sausage, pork and chicken) threw in my challots, bell pepper and onion. Once that made a nice stock of it's own I spooned that stock out and set it aside. Then I put in my water and brought it to a boil once it came to a boil I added my rice(minute maid short grain cause I don't care for long grain) and my stock. Stirred it real quick then put my top on for 20 minutes and didn't open it. After the 20 minutes was up I flipped the rice and it was great!!! No crunchy or mushy rice I think I did a great job for my first time. And I agree with y'all no tomatoes in a jambalaya. It was my first time cooking it by myself but I have watched plenty of people cook them and I took mental notes. So thanks again to all of y'all!!!

Top Bottom