japanese inspired chef knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    This is for my wofe's b-day at the end of the month. It stille needs alittle more buffing and polishing etc and then I can sharpen it to super insane sharpness. In these pics its pretty dirty on the blade as I got tung oil all over it from working on the handle some.

Style - Deba japanese kitchen knife
    Steel - 1080
    Size - 8" blade 13.5" overall
    Handle - Rosewood bolster, copper spacer, with curly maple

IMG_0480.jpg

This curly maple looks almost 3d its REALLY nice

IMG_0481.jpg

I wanna try some more with some minor changes. Thses japanese knives are fun because they do things differently from most knives I make so a change and challenge is always fun

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    wow that is bad ass. I spend 40 hours a week with a chef knife in my hand, and i wouldnt mind having one of those. I also might know of a few other people who would feel the same way.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    IM actually working on some different versions to sell down the road. Wanna get to where im 100% happy with them. Id like just a little more curve in the cutting edge I think. I might have some more to sell down the road Ill let yall know.

For you chef and cooks - Traditional japanese knives are made with a chisel grind (ground on one side only) Do yall prefer that or a normal western grind where its ground on both sides and meeting in the center?

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm not a professional but I enjoy cooking and like good knives. I personally dislike chisel grinds. I can never get the angle right to sharpen them and it just seems like a cheap or lazy way to make a knife and only grind one side. I'm sure it has it's purposes, but I don't like it.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    IM actually working on some different versions to sell down the road. Wanna get to where im 100% happy with them. Id like just a little more curve in the cutting edge I think. I might have some more to sell down the road Ill let yall know.

For you chef and cooks - Traditional japanese knives are made with a chisel grind (ground on one side only) Do yall prefer that or a normal western grind where its ground on both sides and meeting in the center?

Both sides

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Yeah Im a fan of the western style and this one is ground western style. Just curious if chisel grind had some kind of appeal. I also Like my knives at 1/8". never been a fan of a flimsy slicer. To me if ground right you shouldnt need to make them paper thin.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Lots of coats of tung oil. You can start to see it getting glossy. Sorry for crappy cell phone pic. Also got it shaving sharp but want to really polish the edge with some waterstones and compounds when its not so damn cold outside.

IMG_0486.jpg

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Well after 1 1/2 hrs of sharpening and using paste compunds and sprays after the japanese waterstone. I took the edge up to the equivelant to 125,000 grit diamond spray on leather strops at 18 degrees on my wicked edge system.

Shiny

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

And now for some test cuts

First cut :(

IMG_0489.jpg

super clean paper cut

IMG_0490.jpg

This is the best I could do - the limitation was my hand not being steady enough lol - I could easily shave with this thing without shaving cream. My wife better love me! lol

IMG_0491.jpg

Top Bottom