japanese inspired chef knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    My favorite woods are Maple (burl or curly like above), redwood burl, Koa preferably stabalized with lots of figure,and Ironwood. There are a lot more and stains and dyes etc can always change a knife completely.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Stabilized koa? Kiln dried? Just curious...
    Stabalized is where they put the wood in a bag of some sort with some speciasl resin then hook that up to high vacuum. After several days its basically impregnated with the resin which bring out the woods figure plus the resins make it almost 100% waterproof and chemical proof.

This is stabalized koa

IMG_0505.jpg

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    I've seen turners do something similar to cure green wood. I worked for a hardwood dealer back in grad school, we had trouble with certain types splitting when worked. Snakewood, thuya burl, cocobolo, ebony... the new england weather/seasons played havoc with them. I still have some big pieces of koa left over from a dining table I built years ago... beautiful stuff.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    I've seen turners do something similar to cure green wood. I worked for a hardwood dealer back in grad school, we had trouble with certain types splitting when worked. Snakewood, thuya burl, cocobolo, ebony... the new england weather/seasons played havoc with them. I still have some big pieces of koa left over from a dining table I built years ago... beautiful stuff.
    Yeah it make it alot easier to work out. less cracking, chip out when drilling etc. The dust is alot nastier tho. Need a respirator

Top Bottom