Jetski/waverunner vs ski boat

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Ok so the kids are getting older and my oldest is not getting the thrills getting pulled around by the party barge on the lake. So I researching jet skis/wave runners and bow rider boats. I know both are a money pit. I have always heard that the jet skis and wave runners are always breaking and are costly to fix. I'm assuming that it is because there are more things to break on them vs an actual boat. Are there some brands better than others like the yamahas? I know I would have to get at least 2 since they are really no fun unless you are with someone.

Are there any bow rider boat manufacturer's that I should steer clear of? or what inboards are better than others?

Since the summer is winding down I am hoping to find a good deal on something.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Having owned, yamaha waverunners, kawasaki stx-15fs, and a couple of boats, the boat wins everytime. The utility just can't be beat. Maintenance wise, having two skis cost me less than either boat, but then again I didn't buy skis will all kinds of bells and whistles. The Kawasakis were my favorite due to simplicity in design and 60+ mph with just 1600cc of engine. The yamahas rode better, but werent as fast, had some issues with the digital displays on them, and they killed batteries.

I owned an '86 Chris Craft Scorpion 211 with a mercruiser i/o. I loved the boat, but the mercruiser's are a pita the work on and need a lot of maintenance, esp if being run in salt water. It was reliable and rode very well, but I bought the boat for 6k in 2003 and probably dumped another 6k in it before i sold it last year for the same amount. I got my money's worth, lots of fish caught on that boat, and spent a lot of time cruising the lake.

I will always vote boat. Maintenance is a wash. Do you want a full on ski boat, bowrider, dual console, or walk around? Lots of choices.

Last edited:

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I am mainly looking for something to pull the kids on the summer trips to the camp on the lake. I am thinking a nice bowrider would do us well since it would just be to pull the kids and their friends around. We have a 20' party barge with a 50 mercury that we use for cruzin and pulling the tubes now. Appreciate the replay an information!

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I would vote boat. Never owned a jetski but I got bored real quick riding a friends.

I always ran mercruisers until 4 years ago. I had always wanted a real tow boat so I bought an older but low hour Malibu direct drive. We love everything about the boat except when we have a large crew of 10 the engine sitting in the middle gets in the way. The "fix" for that would be a v-drive which puts the engine in the back of the boat.

Things I don't miss about the runabouts are dealing with the lean if the boat isn't weighted equally, oil changes were more difficult (indmar ads a drain tube), the impeller is harder to change in a stern drive and bow rise.
    Boats like my Malibu are built for towing. They do it very well, however they usually don't ride very smooth in chop. I won't go back until my days at the end of a rope are over.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    When I lived in Florida I worked a beach with water sports. We had Yamaha wave runners that you couldn't kill. They were 800cc 2stroke, no electronic display, and were ABUSED by customers and us in the saltwater and sand day in and day out.

But, now I a boat fan. I am about to sell my fishing for a party barge, hoping to find a gently used Bennington with a 90hp Yamaha. Seems it will fit my needs for 5 years or more.

Sounds like your a step beyond that and a bow rider is in your future.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Appreciate the reply's. I'm leaning more toward the bowrider type. I think something in the 18' range and under 12k would be good. However I still have to get it approved by the wife. I think I have to get her a house before I get a boat. Otherwise I would need to get a bigger boat because I would be sleeping on it.

Top Bottom