Jims Firearms; First negative experience.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    To get started, not all was bad. I did grab a Spikes LR for $99.95 as did a buddy today. So that great deal is still ongoing and they had several left. This is my first experience that was anything close to negative but how this one ended, it left me thinking I should voice up.

Saturday I ventured to Jims looking to buy a rifle during the tax free weekend. After looking around and waiting to be served, a young guy came to help me (his name is left out) andI started to look over the particular platform I was shopping for and was given several options. After deciding on a synthetic model the salesman wen to the back, found one and brought it out. This rifle did not have a price tag on it and I was told that it was $1,625. There was one on the shelf visible that had a tag of $1,645, although it was a different model. I waited around for my background check to return for the lower. I looked around at other prices online and instore for the same model and finish and found it cheaper at $1,550 but none were what I considered local. Less than $100 bucks to stay at a local shop was an obvious no brainer. I decided to go ahead and grab the rifle but wanted to bring cash. Spoke to the salesman again, purchased the lower and left.

I returned today and waited for this salesman. He had two people in-front of me and when it was my turn he handed me the paperwork and went grab the rifle. Now, no price was discussed here. I inspected the rifle and he brought it upfront. Grabbed a couple other items and went to pay. I joked around with the cashier about a discount, we both laughed as it was tax free. The rifle rang up for $1,795. In my head this worked out to a total that included tax I responded with, hey what about tax free!. The cashier said, it is, that is what the rifle rang up as. I asked her to make sure she selected the correct rifle from the on screen options due to the $1625 the day prior. She did and then went to find the salesman. Meanwhile I saw the guy working on a deal with my buddy. I approached and said, "The rifle rang up for $1,795, didn't we discuss $1,625?" Of which he said "well yeah" and immediately walked to the register with me. He looked at the screen and asked me to hold on a minute. About 3minutes later he came back with an obvious change in body language. His statement was, "that was never the price I told you, the screen is correct." At this point the cashier began asking him if we should call ...?... and the salesman became quite rude raising voice at her saying "that's the price, the only price."

Now, I just asked a question regarding a prior agreement of which the salesman acknowledge when questioned. If it would have been a simple, my bad buddy then I would have left with the rifle. The reaction of the salesman left me with a bad taste and I felt like he was putting me off as being a liar since other employees were around. And his reaction when asked if they should call (I'm assuming a manager) made me think this may have happened before. Now I did tell the cashier not to worry about calling anyone, I was fine with it. Didn't want it to blow up over a simple mistake.

What gets me is that this guy and I had some good conversations over the two days, and he was very helpful up until the point. Even with the high volume this weekend he remembered me on the second day. Sold me some lowers, and stuck with me for a good hour and a half on Saturday. Its a shame I missed the tax free, but what the hell ya know. I left mad and he was obviously a bot made, so if your on here, nothing personal man. it was along weekend, I get it, but lets try to own up and stand by the customer in the future.

Again this was my first in a long line of business with Jims that left me mad. I think its important they know.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I think internet forums are the place for unresolved grievances for which other avenues have been exhausted. If it wasn't worth talking with a manager about, I don't think it's really worth putting up here - brings heat on the business rather than the salesman who deserved it. FWIW, no personal experience w/Jim's

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Am I missing something because I'm thinking you could have left with no gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I think internet forums are the place for unresolved grievances for which other avenues have been exhausted. If it wasn't worth talking with a manager about, I don't think it's really worth putting up here - brings heat on the business rather than the salesman who deserved it. FWIW, no personal experience w/Jim's

Its a forum for discussion. I for one am glad he posted it. Thanks MTREGRE!

FYI, I had a similar issue with Jims a long time back and never shopped with then again. Next time check out Interstate Guns in Hammond. These guys are #1 on service and price.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Its a forum for discussion. I for one am glad he posted it. Thanks MTREGRE!

FYI, I had a similar issue with Jims a long time back and never shopped with then again. Next time check out Interstate Guns in Hammond. These guys are #1 on service and price.

I bought a HK VP9 from Interstate Guns this weekend. Great shop and good customer service. I would definitely go back. I personally don't shop at Jim's because i find their prices higher.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    It is a shame when one employee can bring on negative things about a business. Of course they represent the business and should treat it as their own.
    I purchased 2 guns on Friday. I like dealing with certain guys that I have dealt with before. Brian has always been good to talk to, knowledgeable and a big help.
    I went back Saturday and purchased a Benchmade knife. I received the Bayou Shooter 10% discount and no tax. The girl that checked me out was very polite and I enjoyed talking to her.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    My experiences at Jim's have all been good. A personal experience at Cabellas similar to yours. A pistol had a price tag on it. I knew it was a hell of a deal. When they scanned it the price was $150.00 more. I notified the lady of the tag and she verified it. Then called the manager who honored the cheaper price. Upon which he immediately ripped the price tag off of the display model and threw it away. Had they not honored it I would have walked minus the gun. That said it didn't matter what the salesman said. I would have asked the lady to please get the manager. But that's just me.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    A few years back, I was quoted a price over the phone for a rife. I drove there from out of town only to be told a higher price. I tore up the 4473 and left. The memory of tearing up the stupid Federal/Nazi registration form is a very satisfying one for me.
    Everyone makes mistakes, so there is no ill will towards Jim's on my end. It was the fault of the Federal government anyway!

Ranslem9849

Rating - 99%
    103   1   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Abita Springs
    +1 for interstate guns, bought a colt le6920, eotech 553 , shield 9mm, night sights for the shield and my g26 plus a bunch of mags and accessories .
    Going back on Tuesday to pick up a full size m&p 9mm with accessories.
    All of the staff is very helpful and the prices are great.

Although I will say I haven't had a bad experience with jims it's just far away from me, they do have a huge selection though.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you shop at Jims, ask for Brian or Melissa. They are both super helpful and like helping BayouShooters out. As for what happened with the salesman, meh, it happens. I wouldn't judge a whole business on one person's actions. I think you probably should have brought it to the attention of a manager though.

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    Everyone has a bad day, so I dont know that Id write off the whole store based on one event. To me, its akin to bad service at a restaurant. If it happens once, no sweat. If it keeps happening, thats when you write em off.

Ive yet to go into a gun store or gun show in LA, so I do appreciate the post(s) about the pros and cons of the individual stores.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    If you shop at Jims, ask for Brian or Melissa. They are both super helpful and like helping BayouShooters out. As for what happened with the salesman, meh, it happens. I wouldn't judge a whole business on one person's actions. I think you probably should have brought it to the attention of a manager though.

That's right!! I always deal with Brian, straight shooter and super nice guy, he won't sugar coat nothing or try to push crap on you you don't need

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I agree Austin. But I was pretty mad, and considering the amount of customers they had in the store at the time, I didn't want a scene to be created. That never goes well and someone always comes across looking like a A-hole. I didn't want that to transpire at a store I had never had an issue with.

Brian called me today and we discussed the concern. We came to an agreement and Brian for sure went above and beyond! My cooler head and his awesomeness prevailed and we concluded the sale!I also purchased some AR parts and about an hour ago started my next AR! I could not be happier with my purchase or respectful of Brian. This was my first dealing with him directly and he is as those above stated.

Everything has been straightened out and everyone is cool. I want to say thank you again to Brian and Jims for talking this through and reaching out. Outstanding Gentleman

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I agree Austin. But I was pretty mad, and considering the amount of customers they had in the store at the time, I didn't want a scene to be created. That never goes well and someone always comes across looking like a A-hole. I didn't want that to transpire at a store I had never had an issue with.

Brian called me today and we discussed the concern. We came to an agreement and Brian for sure went above and beyond! My cooler head and his awesomeness prevailed and we concluded the sale!I also purchased some AR parts and about an hour ago started my next AR! I could not be happier with my purchase or respectful of Brian. This was my first dealing with him directly and he is as those above stated.

Everything has been straightened out and everyone is cool. I want to say thank you again to Brian and Jims for talking this through and reaching out. Outstanding Gentleman

And that is how posts like this should always end. Never underestimate the BayouShooter Community guys!!

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Dealt with Jims almost many years ago when they were in the old store ! Wasn't worth a damn then and I see nothing has changed !!

Top Bottom