Jindal Slams Loop in Veto

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    A Large, Controversial Project without a Consensus

Woody Jenkins
    Editor, Central City News
    BATON ROUGE — Gov. Bobby Jindal has exercised his line-item veto
    power and eliminated all $6 million included in the State Capital
    Outlay Program for further studies of the Baton Rouge Loop.
    Unless Mayor-President Kip Holden, the chief advocate of the
    Loop, can come up with another source of money, such as federal
    funds, further studies of the $6 billion Loop project could be dead.
    The project was dealt a heavy blow several weeks ago when the
    parish presidents of Livingston, Ascension, and Iberville parishes withdrew
    from the five-member Loop Commission. As a result, the
    project could only be built in the West Baton Rouge. It has no funding
    source for construction and has never been approved by the Louisiana Dept. of Transportation and Development as part of the state’s
    Highway Priority Program. That program already has a backlog of
    $12 billion in needed projects. Rep. Bodi White (R-Central),
    who helped lead the fight against further funding of Loop
    studies, said the governor made the right decision. He
    praised suburban legislators in the parishes surrounding
    Baton Rouge who were virtually unanimous in opposing Loop funding.
    White said he hopes the governor’s decision spurs support for
    Loop opponents’ alternative — extending Hooper Road across the
    Amite River to Hwy. 16 in Watson. He said 85 percent of his constituents favor this approach. “This project would connect 60,000 people in Central and Watson at a cost of $75 to $125 million, a small fraction of the cost of the Loop.” The legislature this year appropriated $1.2 million toward studying
    the new Amite River bridge. In his veto message, Jindal said,
    “The Baton Rouge Loop-Phase 1 project request was not submitted timely and
    did not receive late approval as required by the LRS 39:112. The state has scarce capital outlay and general fund dollars available to meet the capital outlay needs of our state. It is therefore important that major projects such as this have the widest support possible and the consensus of the legislative delegation in the area. That consensus has not thus far been achieved. Without the consensus of the public and the legislative delegation, the success of the project is in question. It would therefore be premature to fund the planning of such a large and controversial project until
    a consensus can be achieved. Therefore, I am vetoing this item.”

NO LONGER A LOOP? The $6 billion Baton Rouge Loop has been
    shrinking from the 90-mile-long highway shown at left. Loop sup- porters have now abandoned the Southern and Eastern by-passes as financially impossible. But they continue to promote the Northern By-Pass through Central. However, since Livingston Parish President Mike Grimmer has withdrawn from the five-member Loop Commission, the highway would be forbidden by state law from entering Livingston Parish. It would have to end atthe Amite River. “It’s no longer a Loop!” Grimmer said.

http://www.centralcitynews.net/?haspdf=1

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Tommy Martinez, our parish president, opposes it. I believe Livingston parish president also opposed it. A study reported it would be ineffective.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Livingston , Ascension , and Iberville Parishes pulled out . That left EBR and WBR , I think . I'll bet Kip was furious . I hope so .

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Livingston , Ascension , and Iberville Parishes pulled out . That left EBR and WBR , I think . I'll bet Kip was furious . I hope so .

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Last edited:

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    All we need is something like Lake Charles has. To me this would be an interstate to connect I-110 to I-12 through N. BR. WITHOUT using imminent domain.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    $6 mil for ***further studies***???? Are they serious? What is this, a team of a few dozen engineers working overtime on just this for a whole year?

Thank the lawd for Bobby and the line item veto.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Eventually, we need a loop. Look at other major cities. It is painful and expensive, but we need a loop. It will further economic growth, thereby creating jobs...

Exactly right. This will improve the city in many ways... crime being one of them. Baton Rouge has fared well because somebody was smart enough to get the oil refineries and chemical industries to locate here. Those buisinesses can't relocate easy.

Having lived in other metro areas, I really think Baton Rouge is really behind the 8-ball when it comes to economic and transportation development. IF those industries get replaced similar to what is happening in Detroit.... You can expect the BR Metro area to become like Detroit..... IMO it's a very sad story of a town that was really great at one time. Traffic in this town kills opportunities.

All we need is something like Lake Charles has. To me this would be an interstate to connect I-110 to I-12 through N. BR. WITHOUT using imminent domain.

It would need to go past the I-10 bridge. That four lane bridge is such a bottle neck. It should have been built with eight lanes in mind.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Belt tighting time .Good show Bobby.

I agree in the sense that the study is wasted because nobody will get behind it. The BR area will pay for not improving the road and traffic situation though.

As for the studies costing 6 million..... They do cost a lot. Lots of things to consider. You'll have to pay lot of engineering types $100/hourish for the year to complete a proper study.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree in the sense that the study is wasted because nobody will get behind it. The BR area will pay for not improving the road and traffic situation though.

As for the studies costing 6 million..... They do cost a lot. Lots of things to consider. You'll have to pay lot of engineering types $100/hourish for the year to complete a proper study.

It should only take a few seconds to determine that what they had drawn up was garbage.

Top Bottom