Just another wonderful day at the mall

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    IDK if it was a full moon, or something in the rain but I have never seen as many fights at the Mall of Louisiana in a single 8 hour period than I did yesterday. We get our normal mouthy teenagers on the weekends but yesterday was a totally different animal. Security and EBRSO were busy all day but one incident hit very close to home,

My store is in the outside Blvd section just down from the Apple store. Around 5pm I heard this awful scream I look outside and this young democrat has a teenager about 60 lbs his junior on the ground pounding the hell out of him. I told my staff to call security and lock the doors while I went outside. Myself and another store manager broke up the initial fight and separated the two. No sooner than we turned our back, the agressor jumped the teen again, this time hitting him with a chair and started to slam his head into the concrete. This time several of us separated the two and held him til security finally arrived.

I am not a police officer, I am not mall security. I understand that it was not my responsibility to break up this fight and probably pretty foolish of me to go rushing into the situation where I could have been injured. I'm sorry though I could not with good conscious just stand there and wait for mall security to arrive and watch this kid get his head smashed it. The packs were definiately circling when the fight started. I don't think it would have taken much longer for several others to jump in and make this a really bad day for the victim.

Here's the good part. I was informed by my boss that I maybe facing disciplinary action up to and including termination due to the fact that I physically restrained a mall patron while working. I guess no good deed goes unpunished and in some peoples eyes its better to observe and report rather than help someone. :rolleyes: Either way I was able to sleep with a clear conscious last night.

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    If you have any diciplinary action including termination......call the press.......they LOVE stories like this..........it makes your company look bad......the mall look bad.......but you look GREAT!!!!!! Hell call them now and they will probably cover it and mention that you face punishment for doing the right thing...........

This is a story the mall does not want out there since this will keep good shoppers away......I almost went there with my kids yesterday.........Some people wonder why I have a CCW?????? DUH!!!!

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    It's not what life deals you that determines the outcome "It's our reaction to it!"

Morning Adam

Sorry to hear about you being questioned about your GOOD intentions:{

I know the type of guy and great family man you are so it doesn't surprize me to see you trying to help someone in need.

However; I know how corporate America including my employer feel about controling it's employees and their actions:{

No matter what happens "Remember YOU DON"T HAVE TO DEFEND THE TRUTH"....

Nothing happens in God's world by mistake.

Keep the Faith, I'll keep you and your family in my prayers:}

If I can be of help you know how to reach me.

Peace B with U

Fred

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I worked security at a refinery and a hospital.

The regulations for security officers prevented us from touching the perp unless our safety is endangered. If you are licensed by the board to carry, it is for your defense.

I suppose mall security may have apprehending privileges, but we certainly didn't.

Intimidation can work wonders, tho.

Last edited:

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Everything thank you for your kinds words and support but please don't take my post out of context. I do not want this to turn into a "bash my employer" thread. I can understand where the company policy comes into play. In the event I would use excessive force and hurt someone the company could be sued. If I was injured in an altercation then the company would be liable via workers comp because I was injured while working. I saw the situation, I made the decision to get involved, now I must be held accountable for my actions.

I guess the main point of my thread was to be a reminder that you should be ever alert to your surroundings. Even when at the "nicer" mall at 5pm in the evening.

I'm finishing my MBA in a few months. Then I can retire from my past 8 years in retail and hopefully make some real money without killing myself :D

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    IDK if it was a full moon, or something in the rain but I have never seen as many fights at the Mall of Louisiana in a single 8 hour period than I did yesterday. We get our normal mouthy teenagers on the weekends but yesterday was a totally different animal. Security and EBRSO were busy all day but one incident hit very close to home,

My store is in the outside Blvd section just down from the Apple store. Around 5pm I heard this awful scream I look outside and this young democrat has a teenager about 60 lbs his junior on the ground pounding the hell out of him. I told my staff to call security and lock the doors while I went outside. Myself and another store manager broke up the initial fight and separated the two. No sooner than we turned our back, the agressor jumped the teen again, this time hitting him with a chair and started to slam his head into the concrete. This time several of us separated the two and held him til security finally arrived.

I am not a police officer, I am not mall security. I understand that it was not my responsibility to break up this fight and probably pretty foolish of me to go rushing into the situation where I could have been injured. I'm sorry though I could not with good conscious just stand there and wait for mall security to arrive and watch this kid get his head smashed it. The packs were definiately circling when the fight started. I don't think it would have taken much longer for several others to jump in and make this a really bad day for the victim.

Here's the good part. I was informed by my boss that I maybe facing disciplinary action up to and including termination due to the fact that I physically restrained a mall patron while working. I guess no good deed goes unpunished and in some peoples eyes its better to observe and report rather than help someone. :rolleyes: Either way I was able to sleep with a clear conscious last night.

People end up dying from head trauma like that. You possibly helped save the kids life... unfortunately, you all probably kept that POS from a life sentence.

If I got terminated for something like that I would make such a stink about how that company supports violence and would rather let a kid be severely injured/die than associate themselves with the incident.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Your Boss is just plain ole sorry! :owned: That's being nice! Does he really want that "type of mall patron" (as he calls him) to visit his store? Is his business that bad?

Hopefully you will get terminated. :wavey: I am sure that there will be plenty of job offers from members on this board who will appreciate you as an employee if that does happen. Keep us and The Advocate informed as to the outcome!! :fawk:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    So..................

Well I believe in ideal situations we all could make the PERFECT decision however; in the real world that doesn't happen.

Accountability, I agree is accountability however:

I still think your employer is a DILDO

J.Ellis

One for the road
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Madisonville,LA
    I got a friend who is a Juveneile Detention Officer he says if the "kids are fighting" no matter how bad it gets he can not do anything besides grab them in a certian way. He calls it "Hugs for Thugs" But he walks a fine line because if he does not stop a fight between Two or more "kids" then he could get in trouble if another "kid gets hurt". I put kids in quotes because he says most of them are bigger then he is. ( he is 5' 9")

Anyway S&W4me, you did the right thing and I am sure it will all work out in the end. I have never been to that Mall but the wife has and glad to know there are still people out there who still do the right thing regardless of the consequence!

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I don't want to bash your employer. I just don't want to be a customer to a business that will not allow its employees to defend someone possibly losing their life.

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    Doesn't sound like you were at work. You left the store and went to the parking lot. The worst your boss can do is reprimand you for leaving.
    By the way, I think you did a good thing there. More people need to get involved and show the thugs we won't just stand by and let them do whatever they want.

Top Bottom