Justice Department Files Lawsuit to Block Arizona Immigration Law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/06/justice-department-file-suit-arizona-early-tuesday/

The Justice Department on Tuesday filed a lawsuit challenging Arizona's immigration law, claiming the law is "invalid" and "must be struck down."

In the suit, which names the state of Arizona as well as Gov. Jan Brewer as defendants, the Justice Department claims the federal government has "preeminent authority" on immigration enforcement and that the Arizona law "disrupts" that balance. It urges the U.S. District Court in Arizona to "preliminarily and permanently" prohibit the state from enforcing the law, which is scheduled to go into effect at the end of the month.

"The United States Constitution forbids Arizona from supplanting the federal government's immigration regime with its own state-specific immigration policy," the suit says. "A policy that, in purpose and effect, interferes with the numerous interests the federal government must balance."

I shouldn't be surprised by this suit, but I am.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/070610_AZlawsuit.pdf

already posted: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39159

Last edited:

crazy white boy

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St. Charles Parish Hahnville
    What Next

Let me get this straight the Government is filing suite to stop a state that is trying to stop something that is ILLEGAL from going on within the borders of that state. I think the Government needs to be prosecuted for not understanding what the word Illegal means..

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    So, how does this effect state agencies like the LDEQ that the EPA relies on to enforce environmental laws? Does this mean that the states have no jurisdiction over laws that would be deemed "Federal" like say murder?

I too would love to hear the Arizona response in the exact phrase "pound sand."

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I would absolutely LOVE for Arizona to subpoena every high-ranking US official, to get them to admit, under oath, that they have actively refused to enforce existing federal law.

If the Arizona attorneys get ballsy, they can cause a LOT of trouble for Soetoro and his thugs.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I would absolutely LOVE for Arizona to subpoena every high-ranking US official, to get them to admit, under oath, that they have actively refused to enforce existing federal law.

If the Arizona attorneys get ballsy, they can cause a LOT of trouble for Soetoro and his thugs.

Well , to start with , the administration would find a way to keep them from having to testify . They already did this with the Blagojevich case I believe . Obama was supposed to be asked to testify . They kept him out of it completely .

( Pb)

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    So, how does this effect state agencies like the LDEQ that the EPA relies on to enforce environmental laws? /QUOTE]

The Arizona case isn't the same kind of thing. EPA gives the state primacy over certain environmental areas thru a formal rule-making process. DEQ adopts state laws that mirror, or in some cases exceed, federal laws. EPA reviews the state laws, determines that they are equivalent to the corresponding federal laws, then cedes permitting and enforcement to the state. However, EPA reserves the right to review DEQ actions and override them.

Top Bottom