K98 Mauser "BNZ 43", --- Need Assistance with Value!$?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBMustangGT

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Harahan, La
    I have a friend (not very computer literate), who recently came into some random guns and is only keeping what calibers he stocks currently; with that said, one rifle he is looking to re-home is a German K98 Mauser (8mm). From pictures I took and have seen, the #'s seem to be matching and was produced in Steyr Austria in 1944 from the little research I've done. Rifle is BNZ - 43 marked, supposedly a Nazi contract gun?, with receiver and barrel marked with Iron eagle & Swastika. The internet values range quite drastically and He is not looking to screw anyone on this. This gun is all original, no refinishing and comes with original sling.Now, I ask you gentlemen, what would a realistic value be on this rifle. Also, any cool information on the gun is appreciated. (Location: Hammond)

121baiw.jpg
    [/IMG]

r2vthf.jpg

rvvkuh.jpg

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The difference in price between matching and non matching is great. To sell a k98 as matching you'll have to take it apart and validate that it is indeed all matching. I haven't bought a k98 in a while, but a non matching bnz in good working condition with an un pitted bore is probably 5 to 700. A matching bnz considerably more. Others more knowledgeable may have a better feel for current prices.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    It's a Russian Capture gun from the looks of it and as such $375-575, with the BNZs bringing on the high end.

Quick clues are the early butt plate and solid wood stock on what should be a Kreigs modell late war, the heavy red russian varnish on what should have been a lightly oiled stock. the purpling of the russian dip blue on the receiver and failure of the same to adhere uniformly to the phosphate finish barrel.

But I don't advise 'restoring it'. It will only be worth less.

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    It's a Russian Capture gun from the looks of it and as such $375-575, with the BNZs bringing on the high end.

Quick clues are the early butt plate and solid wood stock on what should be a Kreigs modell late war, the heavy red russian varnish on what should have been a lightly oiled stock. the purpling of the russian dip blue on the receiver and failure of the same to adhere uniformly to the phosphate finish barrel.

But I don't advise 'restoring it'. It will only be worth less.
    This. One pretty good indicator of a Russian Capture is the missing lock screws for the trigger guard and magazine plate. I have yet to see a RC that actually had those screws. ( I was able to locate some surplus screws with the same arsenal proof mark/code to put back on my ce 42.)

GBMustangGT

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Harahan, La
    Thanks again guys for the info; I can guarantee this beut will NOT be refinished; I'm just contemplating whether I should buy it myself and convert it into a hunting rifle as is. I do enjoy a sweet bolt as this is....

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    If it was mine, I'd still strip and refinish the stock. Mine had that same crappy lacquer on it, and after a little elbow grease, the stock turned much more interesting. All kinds of markings and proof stamps showed up.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    in years to come the presence of that crappy russian varnish will be a value plus factor in value and collectability. A 'restored' example which has had historical significance stripped from it will be on the bottom of the heap along with sporterized examples next to the parts bin.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom