Kayak / Pirogue Duck Hunting in Big Branch

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I recently decided to give up my paying job and career in construction and return to school for more lurnin'. Thus, I can't afford the boat that I had once hoped to have by now.

No boat = limited duck hunting, which is unacceptable. :wtc:

I've been looking at buying a pirogue or possibly one of those specialty kayaks and getting into it more - minimalist style.

I've been looking at different kayaks and I'm torn between the traditional pirogue or one of the new fancy kayaks. I've been in a pirogue duck hunting before, but only to place/retrieve decoys and get to/from the blind/boat. I like the flatness of the pirogue and how easy it makes it to get across mud flats. On the other hand, I've fished in a kayak before and I like the stability and space of the kayaks more. I'm just not sure if the versatility offered by the pirogue outweighs the stability of the kayak when hunting.

Any tips / info / experiences y'all have will be greatly appreciated. I may not be flat-broke, but I sure don't want to drop $750 on a kayak and wish I had bought the pirogue or vice-versa.

Also, does anyone have any experience hunting out of a pirogue or kayak in Big Branch? I've always heard good things about it, and Lacombe is only about an hour away from where I live in Baton Rouge.

Thanks.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I haven't tried kayaks but I have been in many pirogues. But what I duck hunt out of is my small 12' flat w/ a 15 mercury or my 12' wide bottom flat back canoe. My canoe is by far my favorite "go to" boat for hunting. Easy to manuever through flooded timber, can easily carry all my gear and very stable.
    100_0261_zps0443732c.jpg

kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Have you ever had two people in it? Do you pretty much use it from getting from the launch to the hunting spot and hunt in the grass or from the bank? Or have you ever shot out of it?

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I hunted two out of it for teal season. No problems with tipping when shooting. I paddle it up the bayou by myself with no problem. Doesn't take much to get it moving. Easy to creep nice and quiet against the bank to get close to the woodies in the sloughs.:D

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I really like pirogues just for the simple fact they are part of cajun history. But for what I do and the way I hunt, I've found a wide bottom canoe is more useful and safe for me. Lots of times I hunt alone or with a dog. Things can get hairy with a dog in a pirogue loaded down with decoys and other gear. Water in January is cold. Ask me how I know !! :awais: I had to swim to the bank with my blind bag, decoys and go diving for my shotgun. I've never been so cold in my life. :eek3:

Top Bottom