Kimm's in BR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Master Kimm is a great man, he developed his martial art in the Korean war and has trained Korean special forces/military and many others around the world. He is a deeply respected and highly regarded man, he's excellent and the -only- person in Baton Rouge, besides Shiva Key, that my coach, Russell Jones, will bow to.

He is a Grand Master, one of the few true ones left.

That said...I've never trained at his gym, or with him...I only know of him through numerous people and some research.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I looked at the website and have been wanting to get into some type of hand to hand training. While I would love to train with someone of the background and respect as Kimm I'm not really excited about putting on a karate uniform and kicking around in my bare feet. Is this all they do there?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Techniques

Joint locks mainly target the hands, wrists and elbows but there are also leg locks. Chokes are performed mostly with forearm and wrist. Throws and takedowns resemble Yudo and wrestling techniques. Kicks are mostly aimed at leg joints, ribs or head and punches to the abdomen, ribs, groin or head. Kicks include most existing kicks known to mankind which are distinguishly performed from chest with speed and finesse Taekwondo as opposed to, for example, Muay Thai-style roundhouse kicks employed with a windup motion which results in more power. There is also an array of different empty hand strikes including the standard punch, spearhand, palm and ridgehand strikes.

There is also a lot of weapon techniques taught including the use of swords, long and short poles, defence against knife attack and in higher grades archery is also taught.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Mu_Do

http://www.hanmudo.com/intropage.html
    -----

It's pretty effective.

mike_golf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 1, 2007
    NOLA
    Thanks for the info. I'm going for my second session on Tuesday.

I want to learn a real world martial art. I'm not interested in tournaments or "Gettin in the Octagon" or whatever MMA calls it.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the info. I'm going for my second session on Tuesday.

I want to learn a real world martial art. I'm not interested in tournaments or "Gettin in the Octagon" or whatever MMA calls it.

Can you describe the first session? Are you wearing a karate uniform? How many other people were there?

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    if this is the same GM Kimm? My brothers trained with him years ago! he knows his **** and he has got to up in years now!

George added 1 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Russell Jones,

thats my bestfriends ex-brother-in-law.. that dude is CRAZY!

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Known Russell for about 8 years now. He's a trip and a half, and a good hearted man in the end. I trained from 2000-2005, now I just help him out with the gym when he's out of town for training. I've met the family at times here & there.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    http://www.kimmsinstitute.com/?gclid=CJ2Bpe2h3pICFRE0FQodW22y_g

anyone here have any experience with Master Kimm? I'm considering taking classes here and would appreciate any feedback you might have.

I have known Dr. He-Young Kimm since he first came to Baton Rouge. AS I recall he was a partner with Ki Yoon in a dojo on Plank road before he taught at LSU. Later he taught Hapkido at LSU and had a Hapkido dojo on Airline which was run by Jin Soo Kimm. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Kimm.He allowed my wife and I to sit with him and the Grand masters at a big tournament in Baton Rouge in the mid. seventies. I still have the Hapkido book written in Korean that we used as a study guide thirty five years ago. One HONORABLE gentleman. Check out his website.

mike_golf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 1, 2007
    NOLA
    I attended the first class last week. you will attend two introductory lessons before your actually decide on training at the dojo. I was in sweat pants and a t-shirt. I had about 45 minutes of one on one with DR. Kimm. Very Basic.

Top Bottom