Knowledge on old Dillon press?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HEdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2024
    Gonzales
    I acquired a Dillon RL1000 from an older friend. I’ve gotten it cleaned, lubricated and functioning quite well. I am apparently missing a few things for the 9mm conversion and I’m likely going to have to upgrade to newer components, such as the auto case feeder.
    Is there anyone local or know of someone who has knowledge and experience with this old machine? Is there a Dillon shop other than LA gun & reloading supply? I’m really hoping parts from the newer presses MAY interchange with my press.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I acquired a Dillon RL1000 from an older friend. I’ve gotten it cleaned, lubricated and functioning quite well. I am apparently missing a few things for the 9mm conversion and I’m likely going to have to upgrade to newer components, such as the auto case feeder.
    Is there anyone local or know of someone who has knowledge and experience with this old machine? Is there a Dillon shop other than LA gun & reloading supply? I’m really hoping parts from the newer presses MAY interchange with my press.
    Why not go see Brian?!

HEdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2024
    Gonzales
    Why not go see Brian?!
    I have, and I like going there since he’s pretty much the only game in town. I actually brought my press to him and he said he’s never even seen one before I brought it up there.
    I have also contacted Dillon directly and was told they literally have a box covered in dust on a shelf somewhere in the shop with all of the remaining parts for this press.
    I am determined to keep this thing running!

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I have, and I like going there since he’s pretty much the only game in town. I actually brought my press to him and he said he’s never even seen one before I brought it up there.
    I have also contacted Dillon directly and was told they literally have a box covered in dust on a shelf somewhere in the shop with all of the remaining parts for this press.
    I am determined to keep this thing running!
    That’s awesome man…… send it to them for a refurb and you’ll love it! When it gets there just purchase parts needed to get her up and running!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I have two RL1000 presses and Dillon does not support them anymore. They stopped making them in the 1980s. Most of the parts are machined and were expensive to produce. They were selling them for less than it cost to make them.
    There is a guy on Ebay making and selling shell plates and shell pushers. Other than that, you need to make your own parts or contract a machine shop.
    I found a guy selling a tool head but he wanted $300 for one tool head. I’ll swap dies for that price.
    They are great machines but are definitely not plug and play. They do require some tinkering.

Attachments

• IMG_6066.jpeg
      IMG_6066.jpeg
      552.3 KB · Views: 16
    Last edited:

HEdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2024
    Gonzales
    I have two RL1000 presses and Dillon does not support them anymore. They stopped making them in the 1980s. Most of the parts are machined and were expensive to produce. They were selling them for less than it cost to make them.
    There is a guy on Ebay making and selling shell plates and shell pushers. Other than that, you need to make your own parts or contract a machine shop.
    I found a guy selling a tool head but he wanted $300 for one tool head. I’ll swap dies for that price.
    They are great machines but are definitely not plug and play. They do require some tinkering.
    Oh man, I have so many questions for you! I don’t know where to start yet, but I can confirm I like to tinker so I’m good there. I also have the original manual which only gets me so far. What calibers are yours set up for?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hoodrich
    Top Bottom