KORTH revolver - initial range report/impressions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you dropped that much on a custom 1911 no one would bat an eye... much less a high end AR or custom bolt gun or .50 cal? Barrett's were 10K last I looked. BAT machine? Nesika? (one of their tactical rifles is on my want list...).

BUT I don't think I'd buy a Korth 3" because I'd want to carry it. A Korth is a safe queen. I'd want a 4" or 6" safe queen. I'd take it to the range and enjoy it. But carry guns get beat up and holster worn. It might be my nightstand gun (some burglar getting shot by a Korth is just embarrasing.. they're not going to appreciate the honor you just bestowed on them! They're not worthy! ).

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    What does the Korth do that a new S&W model 66 does not? Is it more accurate for its intended purpose? Is it more reliable than the Smith? At 3.5 or 4 times the cost? Not for me for sure. If you want a silky smooth DA pull, purchase the 66 and pay a really good qualified smith to massage it. I don't compare today's Colts because Colt is a far cry from Colt revolvers manufactured 35 or 45 years ago. Too many timing or malfunctions with the new Pythons and the King Cobras imo. I handled a new King Cobra at Bass Pro about year ago and a slow DA trigger pull, or slightly touching the cylinder while pulling DA jammed the action. POS imo, a brand new Colt revolver. I've read on line quite a few purchasers sending back their new Pythons for operational or reliability issues. That just did not happen in the 70's or 80's with new Pythons.

Not to mention full power 357 Mag in a handgun barrel < 6" just loses so much performance (velocity), and a huge muzzle flash. 2.5" 357 Mag pistol is rather silly imo. I mean still an upgrade from 38 Spec, but 357 Mag terminal performance was and is based on its high muzzle velocity. In its heyday, it was the round to carry by LE, mostly 4" barrel revolvers.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I've read on line quite a few purchasers sending back their new Pythons for operational or reliability issues. That just did not happen in the 70's or 80's with new Pythons.
    I the early 80’s I was looking to get my 1st centerfired hand gun. At 1st I wanted a PPK/S but they weren’t available yet & was talked out of the .380. So it was on to .357. Most cops carried S&W, only a few carried Colts. When I asked the RO at the range filled with NOPD, he said Colts didn’t handle full 357 well causing timing and triggers problems. Sound to me like they are built just the same.
    Then I heard how tuff the Ruger Security Six was. Thousand of rounds later I sill got it! No Problems Ever.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I've handled both the Korths and newer Manurhin M73 (beretta import).

The Korths seem to me a little fancier on the craftsmanship side. The M73 kinda gave me the oldschool Colt handfit/custom shop vibe.

The features just seem a little more refined on the Korth. Trigger seemed smoother on the ones I've passed across the counter top.

The m73 that I got to finger was the demo that was sent to TFBtv for review. The front sight was bent out of the box. Not too impressive for something of that pedigree.

We spoke with one of the main gunsmiths of Korth at the Nighthawk booth a couple Shotshows ago. The guy went into some good details about some of the parts are made and the attention that goes into them. So I guess that kinda sticks with me as well. It was impressive.

Are they worth it? Maybe if you want to splurge. I love fine and exclusive guns. But for me these would be further down on the list in that price range.

So to each his own, as always.... If you have the coin and you want a rare bird hand-built wheel gun. These are probably good options for you.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Great opinions on both sides of the question and I sincerely appreciate all the input. I already have several old Smiths, Colts and Rugers (especially fond of 3" 357s) and several "high end" 1911's and ARs. I guess the bottom line is this: I don't have a lot of years left and not an abundance of money. However, I have more money than time so what the heck - Merry Christmas to me! (And my son/grandson will thank me one day :) )
    Merry Christmas to y'all, too!

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Great opinions on both sides of the question and I sincerely appreciate all the input. I already have several old Smiths, Colts and Rugers (especially fond of 3" 357s) and several "high end" 1911's and ARs. I guess the bottom line is this: I don't have a lot of years left and not an abundance of money. However, I have more money than time so what the heck - Merry Christmas to me! (And my son/grandson will thank me one day :) )
    Merry Christmas to y'all, too!
    Enjoy it man.

Also have a 3" GP100 Wiley Clapp that is quickly becoming a pistol that comes with me way more often than not.

And Merry Christmas!!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The m73 that I got to finger was the demo that was sent to TFBtv for review. The front sight was bent out of the box. Not too impressive for something of that pedigree.

A $4000 MR73 with a bent front sight. Nice. How do you ship out from the factory a new high end pistol with a less than perfect front sight blade?

MR73 specs and pic

$4000 + tax at Bud's. In stock.

aznmistborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Harvey
    I've been considering a Korth 357 for some time and now that they have a 3" model I'd like to add one to the collection. The thing is, I'm somewhat value orientated and I'm having a major issue convincing myself that they are worth north of $3500. Thats more than double the new 2020 Python. I would pay that for a nice vintage 3" Python but the Korth is still in production. What makes them worth the cost?
    Ed
    It's a great piece. If you wanna feel one out I would be opposed to you shooting it if you wanted. It's the NXS in 357.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Korth is one of the finest handguns made. It won’t lose any value. I had the chance to finger bang a 4 inch when I was at Nighthawk last summer. Just an amazing revolver. They are worth the scratch if you have it.

IFall86

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Des Allemands, LA
    Although I have never owned a Korth. I have had a VIP tour at Nighthawk Custom, which is a partner of Korth. There were many Korth revolvers that I had the privilege of handling. Like Nighthawk 1911s, Korth revolvers are built from start to finish by one gunsmith. The quality is second to none! I’d say if you have the money, go for it. And if you’re ever in Berryville , Arkansas, do yourself a favor and stop by Nighthawk Custom.

Attachments

• IMG_7056.jpeg
      IMG_7056.jpeg
      697.4 KB · Views: 24
    • IMG_7054.jpeg
      IMG_7054.jpeg
      497.6 KB · Views: 24

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans

Only handgun I would ever consider paying that much for would be for another Chrome plated P7
    Then again, at 3500.00 ... I'm even getting too cautious to carry my P7
    But a P7 isn't a revolver and if I wanted and had to have a 357, I'd certainly get a Smith and just put a spring kit in it. I like the older S&W 5-shot revolvers. Plus, I'm getting lazy in my old age so I pretty much don't want to have to worry about rust. I now only buy stainless handguns. My model 640-1 has a spring kit and it's really all I ever need in a carry 357. And it didn't cost me 3500 either.

gescha

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Don't listen to the opinion of others (including me).
    Get the gun if you want one. There are many worse things that you could be spending your money on.
    Life is too short.

Top Bottom