Krag-Jorgensen mystery

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Looking for some help on this old rifle. This belongs to a coworker who knows nothing about it's history. It's been altered, but I can't figure out what it was at birth. The sights have been changed. The barrel length is 20.5", which is potentially correct for some of the carbines made, but has no discernible crown, leading to the conclusion that it was shortened and not re-crowned. The bolt knob is flattened, another indication it was a carbine, or the bolt came from a carbine.

The markings, and lack of markings make this an interesting case. The barrel and receiver have matching numbers, 999. The bolt bears number 10641 and the trigger guard has yet a different number, 818. The only other marks on the gun are where the intrigue starts. First there is a symbol stamped on the receiver under the serial number. Its a letter C overstamped with a symbol that looks like an open top 8. I cannot find it in online searches of European proof marks. The second intriguing stamp in a Nazi eagle over swastika on the barrel. It is very small, about 3/16" tall, and worn. Under it are a series of letters/numbers, either aAB or aA8. The rifle has no other markings, conspicuously devoid of the expected proof marks normally found on old military rifles. Franken-gun? Perhaps. But I would still like to have the Nazi mark decoded and the "C" stamp identified.

So there's the mystery. I am not trying to uncover the million dollar gun here, just trying to figure out where the gun has been. I think it's been a witness to history, and wish it could talk. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_1751.jpgIMG_1761.jpgIMG_1765.jpgIMG_1749.jpgIMG_1758.jpg

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Another person hypothesized that it was either Nazi production as you said, or a battlefield capture and the Nazi symbol was an inventory mark. What neither hypothesis addresses is the lack of expected stampings. Norwegian Krags have an elaborate crown/date/numbering on the receiver at the barrel. This has nothing like that.

Perhaps the marking was ground off. But that would have cleaned the receiver area where the 999 now shows. Meaning someone had to come back and renumber the gun? Why would anyone do that?

I think the answer, or as much answer as I'm going to get, lies in decoding the Nazi stamp and the "C" mark on the receiver.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?85-Krag-rifles-of-Norway-Denmark-amp-U-S-A

I did a brief search of the above thread. Under the search of NAZI Proof's it said that 3350 of 10,000 Krag's were built from parts and delivered to the NAZI's during WW2.

If I were you I'd take those images, join www.gunboards.com , and post the images under the, "Krag Rifles of Denmark, Norway, and USA" thread.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll do that. I've already posted it on Surplusrifles.com and am about to on the Krag Collectors Assoc site. I didn't know about gunboards.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks Dave, I'll do that. I've already posted it on Surplusrifles.com and am about to on the Krag Collectors Assoc site. I didn't know about gunboards.

I've never posted on that section of the gunboards forum so I can't speak for the people that're on it. But in some sections the experts are awesome and in others they're a bit snobby about helping new people. I'll keep on eye on it over there as I'm also very curious to learn the history.

Dave

Top Bottom