Lead ---> Jacketed, and Back Again..?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Okay. I'm about to put a lot of lead down range-- literally. And before or after, I'll put a lot of jacketed lead downrange as well.

The good ol' Interwebz has a lot to say about how dangerous this can be-- and how retarded one has to be to think it's dangerous.

What say you, my fellow BS.com-ers?

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Shooting out side is a must, wash your hands real good with a lead remover, and you should be good to go!

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    One simple solution, clean your gun. I would just check the bore after every 50 - 100 rounds of lead and clean as needed. It's a good practice whatever you are shooting. The only thing I wouldn't shoot lead in is a polygonal rifled barrel like the factory Glock barrels. Regularly rifled barrels are good to go though.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    no issues. like allen says, check your bore periodically and clean frequently.

too small of a lead bullet will badly lead your barrel, throwing off your accuracy.

also coffer fouling can cause leading, thus decreasing your accuracy.

Beretta687

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    If you put enough cast downrange and your bbl has leaded you want to remove it first. Get a Lewis lead removal tool or buy some Chore Boy pads and wrap them around a bore brush. Make sure you do not get any steel pads.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Don't push your lead bullets hard and they won't lead as bad. Check your bore periodically for lead deposits, run a bore snake through it a few times, and you're gtg. I have gone this route with a previously owned glock (with OEM barrel) and everything worked out fine.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    If you put enough cast downrange and your bbl has leaded you want to remove it first. Get a Lewis lead removal tool or buy some Chore Boy pads and wrap them around a bore brush. Make sure you do not get any steel pads.

watch choreboy, many of the newer stuff are copper "clad" steel, thatll mess up your bore. make sure its real copper.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Don't you own enough pistols to shoot lead in one and jacketed in another? Or at least two barrels? Good Lord, you are single. I'm married with two kids, and even I have dedicated pistols...

;)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Don't you own enough pistols to shoot lead in one and jacketed in another? Or at least two barrels? Good Lord, you are single. I'm married with two kids, and even I have dedicated pistols...

;)

Yeah, but... I'd rather shoot 2500-3500 through one and clean it than 1500+ through both, and have to clean them both before Battle in the Bluegrass. And again the week after for Area 6. And so on and so on! :mamoru:

Besides-- if you have a backup and a primary, and wear them both out at the same rate... the chances of having two broken guns at the same Major sky rocket. :run:

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you stick with Bayou Bullets, leading will not be an issue. I've got probably 5-6k through my G35 KKM barrel, and I've never seen ANY leading. Minor loads, though.

I still see this as a reason to buy another gun. Hell, I bought a G21 in December just to shoot Heavy Metal in the Glock matches...

ETA: Or are we talking about that CZ pistol that costs more than all my Glocks combined?

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    ETA: Or are we talking about that CZ pistol that costs more than all my Glocks combined?

"Worked on" CZ's that have to be identical to each other, and cost the average consumer more than MOST of your Glock's combined. ;)

I realized that if I do blow one up, or shoot out the bore, or whatever... It's a phone call fix away. :doh:

I'll be sure to follow the advice from this thread, but... I'm not worrying about it anymore, especially after the past two days and stacking the ammo back and forth with no ill effect.

I've seen the insane lack of leading in even traditional Glock barrels from Donnie's bullets, but the stupid Interwebz hoopla about "don't mix this with that without cleaning" had me nervous. Odd, since I never really listen to it about any other subject without knowing the source... But it is what it is!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I swap back and forth between Bayou Bullets, Montana Gold, Precision Delta, and GAT bullets witn only a pull of a bore snake with no ill effects at all. A lot of the hype comes from bullet or barrel mfg's trying to sell more product. Go check out Will Schueman's site (Scheuman barrels) ans see what he has to say about cleaning barrels. He says don't.

Top Bottom