LEO's, what is your preferred method of a stop?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I have a question to all you great LEO's out there. How do you want the driver to act? Me? This is what I do when I see the flashing lights in my mirror.

1) right blinker to far right shoulder, preferably on grass next to shoulder.
    2) lower window, put in "Park", undo seatbelt, turn car off and put keyring on finger...
    3) show both hands out window, while watching officer in mirror.
    4) if officer stops behind my car, I hope for hand signals or announce that I am deaf.
    5) when face-to-face, I immediately announce that I am deaf, if I haven't already. Then I inform officer that I am carrying a licensed concealed handgun.
    6) from thereon, I follow officer's commands or annouce what I'm about to do, no matter what it is. I even tell officers when I'm getting my wallet out.

So, I'm curious.... how do our great and much appreciated law enforcement officers prefer a traffic stop plays out?

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    All that sounds great, but I wouldn't undo your seat belt. Some years ago I was with my Mom and she got caught in a speed trap doing 45 in a 35. She pulls over, and undid her seatbelt so she could reach to the glove box (from drivers seat), and get her registration and papers. Cop comes up and writes her not only for speeding, but also not wearing a seat belt.... I even told him she had just taken it off. It was bull.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Thats pretty ideal, with the exception of the hands out the window. To me, that's a sign of someone who could have a criminal history and has had felony stops performed on them, and would immediately put me on guard. But every officer is different.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Dave

Have you ever thought of doing some sort of sign with a suction cup that you can put on your back window or side window to inform that you are deaf ???

It would probably make this type of interactions a little easier, but then again not sure if everybody would actually read it .......

Even some sort of BRIGHT sticker next to your plate, just to make them aware ahead of time. THe only problem with this one would be switching vehicles and then you are back to square one

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    They should have some way to tell by running your plates. So officer already knows when approaching your window. That would be cool!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Bersa, that is a great way to act during a traffic stop. I agree with alpine about the hands out the window, that is usually a clue that they have had more dealings with police that were greater than a speeding ticket.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I turn the truck off, but usually leave the keys in the ignition. Also I thought I remembered at one time to leave my hands on the wheel. I think it was when I was a young dumb teen who looked suspicious and was fiddling around or something. So I keep my hands on the wheel when I remember. Just so they can see them. Since carrying, I make sure I leave my hands on the wheel for their sake and mine.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I just get out and meet the officer at the back of my car. I have never waited in my car for instructions. It has always gone well this way.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I can't remember who, but one LEO on here made a very understandable point about how he like's people to remain in their vehicles. He compared it to being in a box where he feels more comfortable then someone getting out of their car and approaching. But every officer is different :)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I just get out and meet the officer at the back of my car. I have never waited in my car for instructions. It has always gone well this way.

Some will tell you to get back in your vehicle and some will meet you at the rear of your vehicle.
    It will depend on the LEO and the circumstances.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I pull over, put in park and turn car off. If it's night time, I'll turn my interior light on. Then I place my hands on top of the steering wheel and wait for the officer. The less movement I make, the better IMO. Every movement you make (reaching for glovebox, undoing seatbelt, etc) is another reason for them to be nervous. Never had a bad experience, and have actually had an officer thank/compliment me on my behavior.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Best thing to remember, just relax. Being worked up, or "stiff as a board" (sitting up straight, hands on wheel, staring straight ahead) are other indicators that something isnt right about the situation.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    All that sounds great, but I wouldn't undo your seat belt. Some years ago I was with my Mom and she got caught in a speed trap doing 45 in a 35. She pulls over, and undid her seatbelt so she could reach to the glove box (from drivers seat), and get her registration and papers. Cop comes up and writes her not only for speeding, but also not wearing a seat belt.... I even told him she had just taken it off. It was bull.

Too bad she only was required to have it on when her car was in forward motion

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie

Always wondered about that. I leave it on for that reason.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I can't remember who, but one LEO on here made a very understandable point about how he like's people to remain in their vehicles. He compared it to being in a box where he feels more comfortable then someone getting out of their car and approaching. But every officer is different :)

I think that was me. When people pop out of their car it makes me nervous and sometimes it makes me wanna hit them with my car.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Louisiana does have "I'M DEAF" plates, but the problem is, it let's everyone else on the road know the driver is deaf and sometimes, its really not fun..... or funny.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Not sure if any of the more "seasoned" LEO's remember this but there was a time when they would advise for the driver to cross their hands ON the steering wheel to make the Officer aware that you carried a weapon concealed and that you were NOT a threat ......

Granted now a days it shows when you run the plate BUT I'm sure back in the day things were different.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I think that was me. When people pop out of their car it makes me nervous and sometimes it makes me wanna hit them with my car.

How do you feel about having my hands out the window (so you can see my hands) with keys on my finger (so you know the car isn't running or stolen)?

Top Bottom