LEO's, what is your preferred method of a stop?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I never had a routine when getting pulled over. I just act like normal and it seems to go just fine. One time he asked if I was carrying and when I said no he seemed alot more relaxed.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I cut the motor, and roll down ALL my windows, hands on the steering wheel, awaiting officer/instructions. Problem is, on my new car, when I put the car in park and cut the engine, the reverse lights come on, and actually had a police officer tell me to put it in park when it already is.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    No matter how you handle it , there's gonna be a LEO that want's you to do it differently . If it's at night , I put the dome light on , and I always make sure my wallet and paperwork are in my hand and in plain sight when Officer friendly walks up .

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I cut the motor, and roll down ALL my windows, hands on the steering wheel, awaiting officer/instructions. Problem is, on my new car, when I put the car in park and cut the engine, the reverse lights come on, and actually had a police officer tell me to put it in park when it already is.

I've had this happen to me on a stop a few times. One of these new hybrids that is silent. It was like a scene from super troopers.
    Wind was relly heave and couldn't hear very well.
    "Put the car in park."
    "it is in park." (couldn't hear)
    "Put the car in park."
    "It is in park!" (still couldn't hear)
    "Turn off the car!"
    (head pops out window)
    "it is already turned off! Would you like me to start it and turn it off again?"

We had a good laugh, and I cut him loose with a warning.

"turn it off. "

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I usually...

1) Put on blinker, exit highway to shoulder or roadway to a well lit lot or quieter side street.
    2) Engage emergency flashers if on the highway.
    3) Turn off engine and rest hands on steering well.
    4) Alert officer to my CCW and the fact that I'm wearing a pistol.
    5) Crack a joke early in the exchange and at an appropriate time, to ease some tension-- especially my own.
    6) Comply, comply, comply.

I've only been pulled over twice in this state, actually. LSP trooper got me leaving a Taco Bell for no seat belt, as I had taken it off to get my wallet out to pay. He got me about 300 yards away, less than 2 driveways from my final destination and actually seemed embarrassed he had to ticket me-- it was pretty obvious what had happened to the seatbelt! I bugged him out when I pulled over before he even made it in the subdivision, much less put his lights on-- saw him definitely following me from a long ways off. Didn't bat an eyelash when alerted to the EDC and license. He had me sit on my rear bumper while he ran all of the paper work, and refused to take one of the extra tacos I had even though he clearly wanted one. Nice dude, very professional.

In NOLA, I got stopped for jumping a red light on St. Charles and Napoleon, as I didn't want to get stuck in the median with a trolly coming from about a block away. Maybe 1 second of red as I was making the turn, and the traffic didn't even start to roll before I was on my way. Pretty annoying, but he was working that spot specifically for a red light detail-- and he seemed pretty embarrassed as well. Pulled into a gas station and did my routine, but he instructed me to grab my paperwork and step around to his hood... over the loudspeaker. The gun didn't bother him either, although he asked me to lift my shirt so he could see it. I kept my arms crossed the entire exchange, so he knew I wasn't anywhere near a drawstroke. Also very professional and courteous-- but I didn't have any food to offer him, unfortunately.

Seriously, though-- you guys should take an extra burger or taco. That's a BS policy in place, if you're prohibited from doing so. I wouldn't accept them from just anybody, but I'm obviously a pretty chill person and you just saw me pull out of the drive thru-- when would I have had time to add any "special seasoning"???

Now where I grew up in Florida... Ugh. I almost got shot reaching for my flip flops, despite having told all *3* officers less than two seconds earlier that they were on the floor board and I was going to grab them. Needless to say, I ended up exiting the vehicle barefooted...

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    My SOP is pull over, blinkers on, Windows down, car off, hands at 10 and 2 on wheel, if dark, interior lights on. Greet the officer politely and inform of ccw if applicable and then shut up, answering only factually and explaining only when asked.

I do not get paperwork until asked as they don't know what I'm leaning/looking for, and then I ask permission and tell them where / what and move slowly.

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    My SOP is pull over, blinkers on, Windows down, car off, hands at 10 and 2 on wheel, if dark, interior lights on. Greet the officer politely and inform of ccw if applicable and then shut up, answering only factually and explaining only when asked.

I do not get paperwork until asked as they don't know what I'm leaning/looking for, and then I ask permission and tell them where / what and move slowly.

If applicable???

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    sadly I don't always 100% of the time carry.

Oh, now I understand. I was a bit confused at first.

Anyway, you SHOULD always tell an officer if you have a CHL, whether carrying or not. I have actually told LEOs, "I have a CHL, but I'm not carrying." If they don't know you have a CHL before they call in your DL number, then they hear from the dispatcher that you do, it could make them a little nervous.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Oh, now I understand. I was a bit confused at first.

Anyway, you SHOULD always tell an officer if you have a CHL, whether carrying or not. I have actually told LEOs, "I have a CHL, but I'm not carrying." If they don't know you have a CHL before they call in your DL number, then they hear from the dispatcher that you do, it could make them a little nervous.
    I agree and do, I just meant if I'm not carrying I can't iform them that I am.

snoopygw73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    mandeville/covington
    For me, the situation will alway's dictate if I request the driver to exit the vehicle or remain seated. If I were to give advice to someone on how to act during a traffic stop, I would say this:
    1. Remember, the officer is performing a job, its nothing personal
    2. Stay in the vehicle and await instructions. The officer gladly tell you to exit the vehicle if he wants you to.
    3. Keep your hands visible at all times. Don't keep your hand under your leg, in your middle console, or side door panel while the officer is approaching.
    4. If I plan on approaching a seated driver, I will provide the driver with a minute or two have his DL, registration and insurance ready by the time I approach the vehicle. Which brings me to my next point. (a) organize your paperwork. Everyone knows where their DL, how many expired insurance cards do you have in your vehicle. Most vehicles have an owners manual with a spot for your current insurance and registration. If you are organized, you should be able to provide both quickly. I can not tell you how often I have to stand there while the driver digs through 6 years of expired insurance cards to find the current one, and they are all in different locations in the car. (b) If you want to wait until the officer gets to the window before getting your registration and insurance card, I am fine with that. But if your are carrying a weapon, let the officer know "hey, I have a firearm in my (provide location), and my paperwork is in (what ever location)".
    5. I will always request the DL and paperwork first, then I will tell you the reason for the stop. If you are uncertain of the law pertaining to the stop, I will be more than glad to explain it to you, but do not argue. The state makes the laws, officer's enforce them.
    6. Be courteous! I seldom conduct a traffic stop just to write a ticket (very seldom!). I conduct traffic stops for two reasons (a) to solve a problem. If telling you to slow down actually makes you slow down, problem solved. There is no reason to take money out of your checkbook to solve a problem that is already solved. (b) officer's use traffic stop's as a way to provide probable cause for other crimes (warrants, narcotics, DWI, and even murder). Every officer can tell you a story of a major crime that was solved because of a mundane traffic stop. In my case, I solved a murder case on a traffic stop.
    7. I will alway's ask a few "ice breaker" questions. It helps the driver to relax, which makes the stop go easier. For instance, "Where are you coming from? Oh the movies, what did you see, was it any good?". Don't read too much into this, its not a trick question, just breaking the ice. Officers can usually tell when you are nervous because your are getting pulled over or nervous because there is a more serious offense making your nervous.
    8. Don't panic when the officer disappears for several minutes with your information. I always check for a valid DL and for local attachments and warrants. It can sometimes take the dispatcher a while to get back to me, especially if there are other officers running several people. Like walmart, I have to stand in line
    9. Remember this as well, the officer sometimes knows more than you. Don't lie. If you got a ticket last month, just be honest if asked. This is the way I see it, if you lie about one thing, you are will probably lie about something else.
    10. Remain polite through the end of the stop. On the back of the ticket, there is a box for officer's comments. This is read by the DA. If you say something rude, its going in the box. I will remain polite during the stop for the same reason, I do not want to repeat anything rude in front of a judge one day.
    11. Don't ever tell me you pay my salary, especially if you don't have a job or pay taxes. In theory, I pay taxes, therefore I pay my own salary. That theory really doesn't make sense does it? Also, no bacon jokes or donut jokes....... Unless you are absolutely sure you will get a laugh from the officer
    12. Basically, have a valid DL, current registration, current insurance and a good attitude......... you would be surprised how far those things will get you. A good officer will walk you through the rest of the process.

snoopygw73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    mandeville/covington
    A funny story:
    We are looking for a suspect vehicle which was just involed in an armed robbery. It's very late and there are very few vehicles on the roadway. I see an exact make, model, color and year matching the description of the suspect vehicle. I conduct a "felony" traffic stop on the vehicle when training kicks in. I give the driver several loud verbal commands to exit the vehicle. However, the driver ignores me and just sits there. My heart is pumping and adrenaline is flowing. I keep shouting over and over again "get out of the car and show me your hands" blah blah blah. Finally, the driver exits the vehicle. I began the verbal commands again, just like in training. "Raise your hands, turn around......." The driver complies without saying a word. He kept his hands raised high and he turned around. Then the driver delivers some unexpected news to me........ "I'm deaf". Two little words just explained how I screwed myself. The driver could read lips and understand hand motions. Unfortunately, I ordered him to turn around and face away from me. Now he is scared to death and has no idea what to do next. Neither do I. They never taught me how to deal with this in training. How do you deal with a potentially armed suspect thats right in front of you but can't hear or see you? To make a short story long, it was a case of mistaken identity. The actual suspect was caught a few blocks away in an identical vehicle. Do an officer a favor..... If you are deaf and ever in this situation, say so BEFORE you turn around. I felt as stupid as he felt scared. I give the guy credit though, after I profusely appologized, the guy actually had a good attitude with us. He even offered his buisness card and offered his services if we ever needed a translator while dealing with the hearing impaired.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    For me, the situation will alway's dictate if I request the driver to exit the vehicle or remain seated. If I were to give advice to someone on how to act during a traffic stop, I would say this:
    1. Remember, the officer is performing a job, its nothing personal
    2. Stay in the vehicle and await instructions. The officer gladly tell you to exit the vehicle if he wants you to.
    3. Keep your hands visible at all times. Don't keep your hand under your leg, in your middle console, or side door panel while the officer is approaching.
    4. If I plan on approaching a seated driver, I will provide the driver with a minute or two have his DL, registration and insurance ready by the time I approach the vehicle. Which brings me to my next point. (a) organize your paperwork. Everyone knows where their DL, how many expired insurance cards do you have in your vehicle. Most vehicles have an owners manual with a spot for your current insurance and registration. If you are organized, you should be able to provide both quickly. I can not tell you how often I have to stand there while the driver digs through 6 years of expired insurance cards to find the current one, and they are all in different locations in the car. (b) If you want to wait until the officer gets to the window before getting your registration and insurance card, I am fine with that. But if your are carrying a weapon, let the officer know "hey, I have a firearm in my (provide location), and my paperwork is in (what ever location)".
    5. I will always request the DL and paperwork first, then I will tell you the reason for the stop. If you are uncertain of the law pertaining to the stop, I will be more than glad to explain it to you, but do not argue. The state makes the laws, officer's enforce them.
    6. Be courteous! I seldom conduct a traffic stop just to write a ticket (very seldom!). I conduct traffic stops for two reasons (a) to solve a problem. If telling you to slow down actually makes you slow down, problem solved. There is no reason to take money out of your checkbook to solve a problem that is already solved. (b) officer's use traffic stop's as a way to provide probable cause for other crimes (warrants, narcotics, DWI, and even murder). Every officer can tell you a story of a major crime that was solved because of a mundane traffic stop. In my case, I solved a murder case on a traffic stop.
    7. I will alway's ask a few "ice breaker" questions. It helps the driver to relax, which makes the stop go easier. For instance, "Where are you coming from? Oh the movies, what did you see, was it any good?". Don't read too much into this, its not a trick question, just breaking the ice. Officers can usually tell when you are nervous because your are getting pulled over or nervous because there is a more serious offense making your nervous.
    8. Don't panic when the officer disappears for several minutes with your information. I always check for a valid DL and for local attachments and warrants. It can sometimes take the dispatcher a while to get back to me, especially if there are other officers running several people. Like walmart, I have to stand in line
    9. Remember this as well, the officer sometimes knows more than you. Don't lie. If you got a ticket last month, just be honest if asked. This is the way I see it, if you lie about one thing, you are will probably lie about something else.
    10. Remain polite through the end of the stop. On the back of the ticket, there is a box for officer's comments. This is read by the DA. If you say something rude, its going in the box. I will remain polite during the stop for the same reason, I do not want to repeat anything rude in front of a judge one day.
    11. Don't ever tell me you pay my salary, especially if you don't have a job or pay taxes. In theory, I pay taxes, therefore I pay my own salary. That theory really doesn't make sense does it? Also, no bacon jokes or donut jokes....... Unless you are absolutely sure you will get a laugh from the officer
    12. Basically, have a valid DL, current registration, current insurance and a good attitude......... you would be surprised how far those things will get you. A good officer will walk you through the rest of the process.

*hangs head in shame* GUILTY! Except mine are all in my registration folder thingie. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom