Life expectancy of Sherburne shooters?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snuggie308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    I used to go to Sherburne. Have seen some stupid people do stupid things. The last straw was when some duffus brought a 50 BMG and proceeded to fire 20 rnds at a 100 yd target. It shook the roof of the place! Come now, a 50 at 100? You think maybe it grouped!? I don't think the berm was made for it. I now belong to two private ranges where common sense and safety rule. Sherburne can be very dangerous at times.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    On the other hand, any accidents, let alone deaths, at the Sherburne range would be big news. Have you guys heard of any? I haven't.

Yes, there are idiots out there. But there are idiots out on the roads as well, and I'd be willing to bet that driving to the range is more likely to get you killed than shooting there.

Again, I'm not excusing unsafe behavior at the range, at all. Just saying, keep you wits about you, know when to leave, go when it's less busy. Pay attention.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    I have a friend who will not hunt Sherburne with me because of an instance about 20 years ago. It was doe day (crowded) before daylight. A woman pulls up with 2 early teen boys in the car. she gets out and approaches my friend. " My boys got their Christmas presents early , can you come show them how to load them?" They had 2 brand new remmy 742 semi autos in 30-06. Open sights. Niether had ever fired a rifle in their lives. She was turning them loose locked and loaded!! My friend strongly suggested that she take them home and get them educated. He loaded up, got in the truck and came straight home before daylight.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Uneducated question. You've got to have a license of some sort/variety (i.e. hunting, fishing, etc.) to be on the WMA, correct? Does this also apply to the shooting range?

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Uneducated question. You've got to have a license of some sort/variety (i.e. hunting, fishing, etc.) to be on the WMA, correct? Does this also apply to the shooting range?
    That does apply to the shooting range at Honey Island. However, someone is allowed in the WMA with just a Cane and Pole fishing license. I have not seen it happen yet, but Wildlife and Fisheries can enter the range and ask to see hunting or fishing licenses. So before going to the MWR, it is best to at least get a fishing license.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If there is a major mishap, and in the investigation, people come forth with stories of how the range was a potential powder keg for a gun related accident all along, those of you that use it could wake up and find it shut down.

If that range were my best choice, I would try to spread some gun safety to all. ;)

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Ranges I have used in Texas all have basic safety rules (especially NO touching of firearms when range is cold) prominently posted where everyone can see them. Makes it easier on everyone, avoids ugliness when a safety-aware person has to correct a newcomer messing with his rifle with people downrange changing targets, etc. The range I currently go to has this info on the pistol side but not on the rifle side. I just avoid weekends and usually go weekdays only when safe people are there. Forget about just before deer season, no way would I be there then. I have seen things that would curl your hair from novices with a high-powered rifle.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Sherburne: true story. I'm out there shooting. No one else is there, place all to myself. Truck drives up, I see a guy get out. He never says anything. Next thing out the corner of my eye he is walking out on the range while I am shooting !!! I cleared my weapon and ask him what he was doing? He said: going put up a target. I said I was shooting, why didn't you ask to go cold on the range. Get this: he said he didn't want to bother me! What a dumbass!! I kept an eye on him the whole time I was there, especially when I was down range. I have never been back since.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Sherburne: true story. I'm out there shooting. No one else is there, place all to myself. Truck drives up, I see a guy get out. He never says anything. Next thing out the corner of my eye he is walking out on the range while I am shooting !!! I cleared my weapon and ask him what he was doing? He said: going put up a target. I said I was shooting, why didn't you ask to go cold on the range. Get this: he said he didn't want to bother me! What a dumbass!! I kept an eye on him the whole time I was there, especially when I was down range. I have never been back since.

Holy crap!

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Ok, Today went pretty well !

Brought wifey and a 1/2 gallon of 38 bullets for her to practice at the pistol range.

She started out shooting 7'x4' moa.

A quart later she had it down to pie plate moa at 10 yds. At the end she was smoking the plate pretty well, I have to give her credit for being a fast learner. About 8 of us on the pistol range, Everyone was nice and safe.

Next we moved to the rifle range for her new M-4 lesson, This went well after sighting in with open sight's at 25 yds. and I had only 3 quarts of .223, She smoked at least a quart of these.

It was a nice day and the people were nice and safe at the rifle range, Talked to a few with M1-A's and a new out of the box FAL owner.( Fine gun that Fal)

At any rate she's ready for a return trip ! That is all.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I go there some, I dont go down range without a friend watching the line.. If someone is working on the gun, tell them a cold range means NO gun touching and for them to be away from the gun.. you have to communicate .. not everyone's idea of safe is the same..

This. As gun owners, if we don't police ourselves and help our fellow gun owners out, someone will end up getting hurt. When that happens, we'll likely loose some place to shoot. Not everybody was lucky enough to have someone teach them.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Sounds like I've been lucky every time I've been out there. Not having anything to use on the rifle range we're limited to handgun and shotgun ranges, but so far we haven't come across anyone being stupid. Everybody's always waited til everyone's done shooting before calling the range cold, no one fiddling with guns with people down range. Though I do try to avoid high traffic times. I've never been out during hunting season, and usually go first thing in the morning when we do.

ryszardsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Me personally, I am a Sherburne shooter and expect to live a long time - but that is cause Sherburne is my last name. Maybe a chat w/ DWF folks would help clean up the range?

RAS

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA

I may have seen him another time. He walked out to put out a target for his .22 just as I was finishing my group of 5 with my Garand. I just packed up my kit and left, since if he was that stupid, no telling what he would do when I wasn't watching him.

RRB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was at Sherburne today. There were people at the pistol range but not the rifle range. There were a lot of target boards in serviceable condition which I rate as a big plus. There were dozens and dozens of bullet furrows between the firing line and the targets, which I found surprising and appalling. I don't ever remember seeing that before at Sherburne. What were people shooting at?

The range was really clean. It was a beautiful day for shooting, with the exception of having a significant crosswind.

I guess that I've been lucky, as I've never really had a problem before at Sherburne. I hope that it continues that way for me, and for all of us.

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I was at Sherburne today. There were people at the pistol range but not the rifle range. There were a lot of target boards in serviceable condition which I rate as a big plus. There were dozens and dozens of bullet furrows between the firing line and the targets, which I found surprising and appalling. I don't ever remember seeing that before at Sherburne. What were people shooting at?

The range was really clean. It was a beautiful day for shooting, with the exception of having a significant crosswind.

I guess that I've been lucky, as I've never really had a problem before at Sherburne. I hope that it continues that way for me, and for all of us.

Bullet furrows… did you ever look at the bullet holes in the rifle range canopy!!!!

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    They had 2 brand new remmy 742 semi autos in 30-06. Open sights. Niether had ever fired a rifle in their lives. She was turning them loose locked and loaded!! My friend strongly suggested that she take them home and get them educated. He loaded up, got in the truck and came straight home before daylight.

Wow, obviously hunting without a license. They would've need to take the LA Hunter's Ed Course before they could've bought a hunting license.

Top Bottom