Lifetime Permit Training Renewal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    A buddy of mine has the lifetime permit and the 5-year mark to re-submit training has lapsed. What is the process on those? Is the requirement attending another full CHP training and submitting the paperwork just as you would a standard renewal?

I decided against the lifetime permit so I’m not familiar with the process at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sixty days after date on permit is the maximum time allowed in order to have paperwork in to LSP.
    Sixty one days after date on permit and he/she must start over as if he/she never had a permit.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Sixty days after date on permit is the maximum time allowed in order to have paperwork in to LSP.
    Sixty one days after date on permit and he/she must start over as if he/she never had a permit.

Good info, thanks. So even if you paid for lifetime, after 60 days you're back to square one?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The lifetime permit plays by the same rules as the five year, with two execptions:

1) You only have five years from the date issued to use your permit to bypass NICS.
    2) You only pay once.

IMO, it’s not worth it.

Sadly, like JBP55 said, you have to follow the same rules with the lifetime to ensure you attend the course every five years and provide proof to LSP. I don’t know if you lose the lifetime eligibility if you don’t renew in time, but you definitely won’t have a permit.

It’s all rather irrelevant anyway, everyone takes the same course. There are no more short renewal courses.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The lifetime permit plays by the same rules as the five year, with two execptions:

1) You only have five years from the date issued to use your permit to bypass NICS.
    2) You only pay once.

IMO, it’s not worth it.

Sadly, like JBP55 said, you have to follow the same rules with the lifetime to ensure you attend the course every five years and provide proof to LSP. I don’t know if you lose the lifetime eligibility if you don’t renew in time, but you definitely won’t have a permit.

It’s all rather irrelevant anyway, everyone takes the same course. There are no more short renewal courses.

Sounds like he's still in the 60 day window so no worries there. But yeah, I don't know why the hell he did lifetime I think it's a bad deal all the way around.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie

2) You only pay once.

IMO, it’s not worth it.

I've wondered what benefit people see in getting the lifetime permit. Skipping the NICS alone is enough for me to not even consider it. My FFL visits are now about 5 minutes to fill out the 4473 and I'm out the door.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've wondered what benefit people see in getting the lifetime permit. Skipping the NICS alone is enough for me to not even consider it. My FFL visits are now about 5 minutes to fill out the 4473 and I'm out the door.

You can skip the NICS check with a lifetime permit, but only 5 years from the date it was issued. When they wrote that law, the lifetime permit did exist, but since you don't get a new lifetime permit every five years, it doesn't allow you to use it. I don't know of any FFL's that will allow you to use an older permit to bypass NICS, for fear they may get in trouble.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    It appears that the purpose of the lifetime permit is to confuse and drive people crazy while attempting to conduct their daily lives.:eek5:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sounds like he's still in the 60 day window so no worries there. But yeah, I don't know why the hell he did lifetime I think it's a bad deal all the way around.

I think it’s $500 for the lifetime for us regular folk. So that would take 20 years just to break even. A lot happens in 20 years, so I didn’t even know if I would still live here. I just don’t get the allure either. It’s nothing like a lifetime hunting/fishing license.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Do you get a reminder?

Mine is a lifetime permit. I don’t remember paying
    $500. I think at one time and perhaps now military could get the lifetime concealed permit for free.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Do you get a reminder?

Mine is a lifetime permit. I don’t remember paying
    $500. I think at one time and perhaps now military could get the lifetime concealed permit for free.

Veterans are fee exempt.
    Current military is 50% of regular cost.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    for some of us veterans, the free lifetime permit is great. not sure about if you are paying $500 versus the $125 for 5 years, i guess your life expectancy needs to be accounted for in that question. as far as the 5 year training, it would seem reasonable as laws and personal capabilities can change. after all, those who carry under a retired police commission are required to requalify annually to keep their currency. health conditions can change drastically, and getting approval by an instructor may become important for safety (alzheimers, and dementia could be good reasons for failing someone).

spinning off for another "related" question for the renewal of the lifetime permit, is the only thing needed for renewal the actual certificate of training? or is there any additional paperwork someone would need to submit?

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    I'm about to go through this as well albeit not a lifetime just regular 5 year . I believe you still have to fill out the entire app and submit like new minus fingerprints. I'm not sure how early you can renew either. If you have to wait until you get the notice or within the 120 days.

Top Bottom