Lightweight AR or SU-16B

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I'm looking to buy a lightweight rifle cambered in 5.56/.223.
    I sold my AR's but still have mags and ammo. I want to move my girl friend up from her .22.
    I'm just not certain on what to get.

So I've picked up and held the DPMS Sportical lightweight AR and I think it would be light enough for her.
    But the SU-16 is almost 2lbs lighter! I also like the gas piston system on the Kel Tec.
    But I do worry about the long term reliability of the Kel Tec.

I've also looked at the Bushmaster Carbon 15, but have read too many bad reviews.

I like the idea of the MVP bolt action that uses the AR mags, but she has bad wrist and really prefers a pistol grip stock, and I like semi-autos!

So what say y'all?

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    My only caution with the Kel Tec would be the length of it and the ergonomics. You can change out the stock for a collapsible stock on the SU but why not start out with the AR. I found the SU to be rather rough and I never felt completely comfortable with it. They are neat for the collapsible aspect of it but if you are looking for comfort for your girl friend I don't think the SU is what you want.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The lighter gun is going to increase felt recoil, which is not what her wrist needs. OTOH, it is .223. It'd be nice to find one to try before buying.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    LACamper makes a good point. I you can find a lightweight mid length gas AR it can help with the recoil. Also, an adjustable gas block can help to further dampen recoil. If your lady is of small stature the MVP/SU-16 may be an issue with it's length of pull. And, if that's true you always have the adjustable stock on the AR.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I use to be a moderator for KTOG.ORG specifically for the SU-16 group. I also helped Kel-Tec test the pistol grip "E" stock for it too. My personal one was a C model with the E stock installed and modified trigger which I sold due to money issues but I still have access to if you would like to try it out. I haven't found anyone yet who has shot it that didn't love it. Guy I sold it to has a custom built AR too but likes SU-16 better. PM me if you want more info on the SU from a person very familiar with one.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I'd have to vote for an AR15 of choice. I have both objective and subjective reasons for not liking keltec. Get a single, cohesive unit from a reputable manufacturer, and you almost can't go wrong.

KelTec's website shows the SU coming in at 4.7lbs unloaded.
    You can get at 6lb or slightly under with a good "ultralight" AR.
    If she can tolerate 7lbs, a Ruger Mini-14 might be worth at least investigating. It's no AR, but it's a good gun.

I'd stay away from pistol-caliber carbines. Less power, sometimes even more felt recoil, and often just as heavy.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Just to add. I'm not concerned with recoil, a compensator will do wonders to felt recoil! I agree with most that I like the feel of the ar more and I'm sure the keltec feels better with the new "E" set up. But it's not an ar...

Don't know.....

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have piles of AR's and recently won the SU-16C at an NRA banquet. I'll be honest at first I was thinking "chincy"...which later turned to "gimmicky" as I played more with it and discovered more features.

I have since moved the rear ghost ring up forward on the receiver (zero'd at 100 yds) and installed a Sig Sauer CP1 fixed 3x scope on it and shot it. I gotta say I really like the gun. It's not very accurate as far as AR's go (think AK), but it runs PERFECTLY and everyone that shoots it really enjoys it. The plastic feel of the gun is easily offset by the weight of the rifle. Even the "gimmicky" bipod/handguards do have their uses after you use it for awhile. The only round I could try was 5.56 Federal American Eagle FMJ, but I want to try 62gr or higher in it because it really wasn't that accurate (2.5" at 100 yds). Piston system keeps it really clean and I like the idea that it folds with all these metal GI mags I have laying around. The more I play with it, the more I can see myself carrying it during workdays at the camp or on hikes. Fits in most of my suitcases as well which is a plus. IMO a great choice for a survival backup gun. Even if you just bought a trijicon Dual illumination reflex and called it done it could be a very useful tool. I had NO problems pinging the 450 yds 16" gong repeatedly this year on the 55 gr AE FMJ 5.56 with the CP1 5.56 BDC. I also read this gun will eat steel all day which is great because I have a couple thousand rounds of it. I have not tried this yet though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom