Litter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    This is kind of a rant.

What is it with all of the litter here in La. especially in Livingston parish? I've lived and traveled to different areas in this country and I have never seen litter as bad as it is here.

I grew up not far from where I live now and it was bad then. I always thought that when more people and money came into the area, that everyone would take pride and keep it clean. NO! It got worse. When it rains and the ditches fill up, the garbage is there floating on top of it. I do my part and pick up around me and I see prisoner work details every now and then, but as fast as it gets picked up more comes. I mean entire garbage bags, furniture, cleaned deer carcasses, beer cans, cig butts friggin' everything!

I love the area, I love the lifestyle, people, scenery but the litter is embarrassing. I am ashamed to bring friends in from out of state.

Why is it different here?

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Seems to be a southern, red neck, white trash, in bred sort of thing......although I must say Alabama and even Mississippi seem to be outgrowing it.
    I have lived my entire life in Louisiana and still don't understand it. Even dogs don't crap where they sleep.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    My dad jumped my ass when I threw a Smarties wrapper out the window when I was 5 or 6. Didn't do it again, and soon after developed my own opinion that it was disgusting and trashy. Which explains why most of the stuff I find in my yard are cheap beer cans, cheap cigarette boxes, and fast food bags.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    Agreed!!! Walker i-12 on-ramp is a disaster. Parish roads are worse. Saw at least twenty 32 ounce styrofoam cups floating in a little ditch last night. And it's like this everywhere. Some people are just pigs, I guess...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    We ran a paper route in lower LP everyday for 17 years and have seen it all. We didn't go do road that had had water across them because of all the trash in the road. Beer bottles you name it. The Amite river was the same way when the water came up trash everywhere.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm with ya man.... its blum disgusting to go around the country and then come back to the home that I love so much and to see its filth! Let me add something to that.. something else that ticks me off if the lack of upkeep form our local government!! You will see grass knee high along our interstates and highways and zero manicured along with the trash makes us very undesirable IMO.... if other states can do it La. can do it!

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Why? = simple, because litter creates litter. Weird how this happens but think of Disney World, it is clean and pristine so you don't throw trash on the ground because you don't want to be the 1st one, but if there is already litter than it must be okay.

Think about this - we live in a city where the success of a Mardi Gras is measured on how much trash is picked up off the streets afterwards........

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    Why? = simple, because litter creates litter. Weird how this happens but think of Disney World, it is clean and pristine so you don't throw trash on the ground because you don't want to be the 1st one, but if there is already litter than it must be okay.

Think about this - we live in a city where the success of a Mardi Gras is measured on how much trash is picked up off the streets afterwards........

That doesn't make me feel any better.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    hahaha - sorry man!! Didn't mean to throw gas on the fire!......unless we were burning trash!

I'm with you on this -- I've seen people in Walmart parking lot change a baby's diaper and then place the soiled diaper on the ground in the parking lot. I guess litter is not enforced by our LEO's as they have more important things to do.......

Come to think of it we live in one of the few places where if you buy a new sofa, you throw your old one on the curb until "they" come pick it up.......this goes for water heaters, refrigerators, toilets, etc, etc............

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don't see how anybody would not be opposed to trash everywhere. But the world is full of trashy, lazy, stupid, good-for-nothing, narcissistic, evil, rotten, careless, foolish, nasty, messed up....heathens. And they are gonna leave their mark.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Magdump I couldn't agree more. Every time I go to our camp in Grand Isle I can't believe the litter on the beach or the paths leading to the beach. We have a public access road to the beach on the side of our camp and I've watched numerous times as people just throw anything and everything on the ground before they leave. Most are drunk dumb asses, but why do people keep doing this? By now everyone knows you should not litter, even the people on the lower social economical rung of the ladder. They do it because of what Magdump said, they don't give a ****. It's their world and they do as they damn well please. It's the entitlement mentality. I'm also wondering why more inmates are not used for litter clean up? There has to be some reason for this. Louisiana has one of the highest prison populations per capita in the US so why not use them to make our environment a little cleaner. Ever been to Angola? This place is as clean as the above mentioned Disney World. Well enough on this, I have to pick up the litter that's thrown in my front yard every weekend as ass wipes pass my house after a night of partying. Nothing like picking up broken glass and nasty fast food packaging to get your morning started.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Another source of litter that many seem to ignore is fireworks. Every year during the fireworks seasons, July 4th and Christmas thru New Years, I have to pick up a huge volume of spent fireworks in my yard and from the ditch and street in front of my house. And I don't waste my money on such junk. People all around me send their trash into my yard and never offer to clean it up. Not to mention that standing in a public street to shoot fireworks is illegal. My daughter lives is a "nice" subdivision that forbids fireworks but a drive through there the morning after New Years Eve was like driving through the city dump. And it's all still lying there today.

Lyle Savant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Central (NE Baton Rouge, LA)
    Your right. It's generations of poor up-bringing. I see it in the basin, sometimes covering the entire width of a bayou; when the water rises. Very embarrassing.

My son & I literally filled up a canoe with trash when leaving a bayou; AND THERE WAS A NO LITTERING SIGN!!!

It amazes me how people flick a Cigarette Butt out a vehicle at a Red Light and never think a thing about it; that's littering as well.

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    We used to make a huge mess with fireworks (15-20 years ago, my dad would get half off and still spend $400), but we were always out there the next day with push brooms and garbage bags. I really don't get how people aren't bothered by their neighborhood looking like that.

Unrelated to the general population, but I also see too much glass, parts, and body pieces left in or next to the road after an accident. Entire bumpers aren't uncommon. I nearly wiped out on a black plastic bumper left in an intersection one night when I used to ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom