Local (Denham Springs) Cub Scouts Troop Needs Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Freshmeat

Woodrow
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    I mainly want to find out what activities and skills are required to see if he can complete those tasks. The best thing we can do is teach him new skills, especially things that make him use his fine motor skills. I don't want to rush him, but he is SMART and it is a challenge to challenge him to force him to improve his language and fine motor skills.
    I completely understand, man. I'll see what I can find out for you.

Freshmeat

Woodrow
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    I have more on the way in, but have yet to physically receive any more at this point. We've been preparing for Isaac and haven't put much energy into this. Once things settle down I'll get back on it and put out an update for everyone.

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    I just noticed this thread and am more than happy to help out. I just placed an order for one and am having it shipped to the Denham store with you, Woodrow Jacocks, as the pick up person. The order number is 2677020-890748 and it is supposed to arrive between 9/7 and 9/13. Also, if you haven't already, you might want to go to the NRA website and look into the educational materials they offer. The have an Eddie Eagle mascot that they use to teach kids gun safety and they will send you some free teaching aids etc. It's a great program. Best of luck and keep up the good work.

Freshmeat

Woodrow
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Thanks for the bump, Charlie!

Okay, guys- just want to state that this effort is still alive and kicking. I had to put it on the backburner as we got through Isaac, but that's now passed and it's back to work. We have a lot of promises, but we're not even halfway there with actual purchases and we only have a few weeks left to get these in and tested before the campout.

If anyone else can pitch in, please do so. The guns are only costing you $18.88 plus tax at this point through Wal-Mart; it charges more, but once I pick them up they're refunding $3-4. At least, that's how the first round went.

We also need ammo. They haven't specified any particular brand or anything; I'll check with the cubmaster again before we discuss that, if anyone is able to go in for ammo.

Again, a huge thanks goes out to all those supporting this cause. Without you guys our boys would be up a creek. At this point it does appear we can possibly pull off the gun range, but we really need at least twice what we have to run a full line-up and still account for possible failures on-site during the campout.

Freshmeat

Woodrow
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    I just noticed this thread and am more than happy to help out. I just placed an order for one and am having it shipped to the Denham store with you, Woodrow Jacocks, as the pick up person. The order number is 2677020-890748 and it is supposed to arrive between 9/7 and 9/13. Also, if you haven't already, you might want to go to the NRA website and look into the educational materials they offer. The have an Eddie Eagle mascot that they use to teach kids gun safety and they will send you some free teaching aids etc. It's a great program. Best of luck and keep up the good work.
    I received your PM and marked down the order number. Thank you for your support!

I've tried to talk to the manager in Denham about getting a bunch of them in stock but I keep getting a run-around from employees. I've been given a contact for the Walker Wal-Mart and will touch base with him ASAP now that the storm is history.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Thanks for the bump, Charlie!

Okay, guys- just want to state that this effort is still alive and kicking. I had to put it on the backburner as we got through Isaac, but that's now passed and it's back to work. We have a lot of promises, but we're not even halfway there with actual purchases and we only have a few weeks left to get these in and tested before the campout.

If anyone else can pitch in, please do so. The guns are only costing you $18.88 plus tax at this point through Wal-Mart; it charges more, but once I pick them up they're refunding $3-4. At least, that's how the first round went.

We also need ammo. They haven't specified any particular brand or anything; I'll check with the cubmaster again before we discuss that, if anyone is able to go in for ammo.

Again, a huge thanks goes out to all those supporting this cause. Without you guys our boys would be up a creek. At this point it does appear we can possibly pull off the gun range, but we really need at least twice what we have to run a full line-up and still account for possible failures on-site during the campout.

PM me your info and I'll paypal you 20 bucks for the cause.

-Neal

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    PM sent with order #.

Be sure and tell the boys to keep their trigger finger out of the trigger well when closing the lever or they'll get a pinched finger they will remember for decades! Ask me how I know ;)

Freshmeat

Woodrow
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Thanks for all the support guys! I'll be picking up a load tonight if someone is running the counter when I arrive and will post an official number once I have a full count. So far (including orders awaiting pickup) we are not to the halfway point. All the assistance is appreciated and Oreo- I'll call you tomorrow to discuss this.

Again, huge thanks to everyone who's helping!

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Will these guns be available for other packs in the area? I.e. is this for all of Istrouma Council, or only your pack? My son is in a different pack (but part of Istrouma Council) and will be doing the campout at Avondale in October also. I would like for him to get the BB gun belt loop. I'm all for helping out, but I'd like to make sure they will benefit the most Scouts as possible.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Curious about cub scouts.

I read the rules, does the child have to be in 1st grade AND 7, or when they finish Kindergarten can they join? I also had trouble finding the tasks and projects the boys have to do in order to earn badges, that will help with me deciding if he is ready or not. He might be able to get a hook up on any leather projects....

Any restrictions for special needs (Behind on Speech Development and motor skills, advanced in everything else) Things are balancing out though. My son started school early to get into speech therapy and a special inclusion class with a teacher helper, so he will be 6 and in first grade next year, he won't turn 7 until the summer after 1st grade.

And really, an nylon belt! He has to rock his Ferrara belt.

The child has to be either 7 OR in First Grade. The Scouting year starts June 1, so as soon as Kindergarten is over, some packs will let the Tigers sign up and participate over the summer, leading into the 1st Grade year. Accommodations are always made for any special situation, I have a 9-year-old in my den with speech problems, no biggie.

Yeah yeah, the Ferrara belt maybe be cooler, but if he's gonna be on the team, he needs to wear the uniform... don't want him coming up with delusions of grandeur or anything! ;)

Check out the requirements here: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Tiger_Cub

You can call the BR Scout Office (225-926-2697), they'll be able to give you info on Cub Scout Packs close to you. I would visit each of the nearby Packs and choose which one is a good fit. The Packs with higher numbers of boys are generally better-run programs.

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Before I begin, I did request permission from Spanky to post this on the site- if it's in the wrong area, I apologize.

Here's a bit of background:

My name is Woodrow Jacocks; my son is a Bear Scout in the local Cub Scouts Troop 283. Our troop will be running the district camp-out in October.

This came about because as fathers, several of us pulled together complaining that these boys have been promised they'd get to shoot BB guns at the last two camp-outs and were left not only disappointed, but hanging. Not until the event started did they tell us the guns were unavailable.
    First camp-out they said they were out for repair.
    Second camp-out they said they were beyond repair.

So we decided we're going to run the next camp-out and we'll make sure the boys get to shoot some dang guns. How else can we ensure that they'll learn to respect and operate them if we don't start them early with the most harmless (yet still dangerous) guns available?

Problem is, "they" told us we need to source our own guns. Who are "they"? I have no friggin' clue, but "they" are somewhere up the BSA corporate ladder and seem to be harder than Congress to get to approve anything. So what we need to do is find our own guns if we want to let the boys shoot. We didn't waste a Saturday going through BSA BB gun safety training to not let the boys shoot guns, so here we are.

What we're looking for is 40 BB guns. Specifically Daisy Model 105 Buck. BSA regulations will not allow Cub Scouts to use any other BB gun. We want 40 so that we can have some as back-up guns in case we have any failures. If we somehow come up with more than 40 guns the extras will be donated to another Council since we're pretty much all in the same boat on this issue.

I volunteered to head up the solicitation for the guns. While I will be going to Academy, Wal-Mart, and local gun shops to see if they'll help us out, I am hoping members here may be willing to donate toward the purchase should the other sources fall through. Before you get nervous, let me clarify that I DO NOT WANT YOUR CASH. In an ideal situation, anyone willing will purchase the guns through Wal-Mart's website ($22.97 plus tax- $3 more than Academy, but no shipping thanks to their In-Store option) and set me (Woodrow Jacocks) as the pick-up person at the store on Range Ave in Denham Springs, zip 70726. I would need you to PM me the order number so I can keep track of what guns are picked up and what guns are not.

Again, any overage of guns will be donated to neighboring Boy Scouts Councils, so please don't assume you shouldn't help because you feel we probably have it covered. It's a lot of guns so I'm expecting this to be a bit of a challenge. If you can take the time to go to the Wal-Mart website linked above and below, our Troop 283 would be greatly appreciative!

I'd be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability, but please understand, I'm simply a father of a Scout who's trying to help follow through on our promise to our boys that they'll be able to use some BB guns at the next camp-out.

Further, if anyone has contacts at Academy, Bass Pro, Wal-Mart, gun shops, or other businesses willing to support our Cub Scouts, PLEASE either direct them to this discussion or PM me their information so I can contact them directly. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I've been doing BB Shooting/Archery at Tunica District Camp-outs and resident camp for years. So I'm not sure why you need 40, when I have rarely seen more than 10 boys shooting on the line at a time... 15 tops!!!

The solution to the problem is already in-place. The storage for the BB Guns is in the locked closet in the covered "Cub Area" near the front Gate at Camp Avondale. The BB Guns stored there were functional the last time I saw them (almost a year ago), but I did notice a lack of maintenance then. I think the BB Gun supply will inevitably need to be replenished from time to time, but the biggest thing is that someone needs to go out there and oil those thing every once in awhile. Silicone gun socks wouldn't be a bad investment, either.

If you type a nice request letter, on Cub Scout Pack letterhead, you'd be surprised at the donations you will receive!!! For instance, I'd bet you could walk into Reynerson's Gunsmith with a letter and he'd probably give you some of the gun socks with his logo on them. Keep in mind, tho, that if you were to write a letter requesting BB Gun(s) from Academy, they'd be more likely to help an entire Cub Scout District/Council than just one Cub Scout Pack. Exactly which organization are you soliciting these BB Guns for???

Also note: If I'm not mistaken, the only way these BB Guns can be used in a District or Council function is if they are in the possession of the District/Council... a Cub Scout Pack can't bring their own guns, just like an individual can't bring his. In short, have Keith talk to and work with the DE (Rhonda) and get these BB Guns put in that closet!!!

BTW, thanks for helping out! If we can get those BB Guns in time for the camp-out, I'll be happy to help out on the range in whatever capacity needed. Even if you just need someone to set out all the stakes and tape the area. PM if you need me, I'm from Pack 13 in Central.

eta: Not being picky, but I see this mistake all the time... you are with Cub Scout Pack 283 from Tunica District (there's more than one District in BR, so need to specify).

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Will these guns be available for other packs in the area? I.e. is this for all of Istrouma Council, or only your pack? My son is in a different pack (but part of Istrouma Council) and will be doing the campout at Avondale in October also. I would like for him to get the BB gun belt loop. I'm all for helping out, but I'd like to make sure they will benefit the most Scouts as possible.

Yeah I am now wondering the same thing. The OP has not responded to any of the PMs nor phoned the person who has contacted him in representation of the Avondale reservation. It is my understanding that Avondale DOES have a full compliment of BB Guns and they are all in working order.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom