Long Term Effects of Shooting Inexpensive, Steel-cased .223 Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twentythree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2016
    Durham, NC
    None. IMO, as long as the gun runs it well. I have shot 1000's of rounds through my ar's mostly TulAmmo my Core15, and Bushmaster love it. Virtually no noticeable signs of wear and sub-MOA groups.

Heard a guy warning another while standing in line at Wally's about shooting that cheap stuff would ruin his barrel... I thought... If it were true, so what? You can pay $150++ more to get good stuff per 1000 how many barrels can you buy for the difference in cost? That is if you shoot much... And if you don't shoot that much you'll never wear it out anyway. The only reason to pay the extra $$ is if you are going to reload it and at $0.21 per round TulAmmo (CTD today) I'd jab to do the math but I'm not sure that makes $ense either. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
    This sums it up pretty well.

It's not just the case that's different. The bullet jackets and cores are also different. The bimetal bullet jackets of the steel cased ammo WILL eat up your barrel faster than brass cased ammo with nice soft copper jackets. BUT, unless you use really expensive barrels, it's probably more economical for you to shoot cheap steel cases and replace the barrel every 4,000 rounds or so. Depends on your accuracy requirements, barrel cost, etc.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I put around 10,000 rounds of steel case, bi-metal rounds through a CMV Aero Precision barrel before it finally crapped the bed. I'm now shooting a CHF Daniel Defense barrel. Steel case is all I shoot.

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    The lucky gunner test isn't really relevant to most shooters as they ran those firearms really hard. Overheating barrels, mag dumps, etc...

If you can afford to shoot out your barrel, you can definitely afford to replace it.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    ^True. But either way... The main point is that the fear of barrel damage is generally overstated. Fire away with the steel cases.

Agreed.

When steel cased was substantially cheaper than brass, I shot the crap out of it in everything.

It's all I run in my AKM's.

Also makes great malfunction drill ammo.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    None. IMO, as long as the gun runs it well. I have shot 1000's of rounds through my ar's mostly TulAmmo my Core15, and Bushmaster love it. Virtually no noticeable signs of wear and sub-MOA groups.

No way. TulAmmo steel cased is not capable of consistently shooting MOA groups, much less sub MOA.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There's no variables in my statement. TulAmmo is not capable of doing it. Doesn't matter the rifle/barrel/trigger. It's a 2MOA round at best.

twentythree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2016
    Durham, NC
    There's no variables in my statement. TulAmmo is not capable of doing it. Doesn't matter the rifle/barrel/trigger. It's a 2MOA round at best.

And you're "the" expert... There was no expectation, quite the opposite. I have shot nearly every brand of .223 ammunition and have had terrible results from some of the best brands and good from some of the least expensive. Would I carry TulAmmo to a national match? Probably not. That doesn't change the fact that I have put the rounds down range and seen the results.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    If one can afford to shoot enough steel or brass to wear out a quality rifle in a short amount of time hats off to ya. I would think the average shooter will probably never shoot enough to worry about that happening. For those who do its part of the game and they will replace whatever parts need to be replaced, buy a new rifle, or sell is as a like new condition with only 500-1000 rounds through it to some yahoo that don't know any better. lol

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    The only issue i have had with Tula is that its severely under powered. Good for plinking and all but dirty as hell . Shot it out my tavor and watched the sparks fly with it. Some other rifles it wouldnt even cycle enough to get the bolt to hold open on . I dont see how anyone got around 1 moa on that with the inconsistencies ive had with them. But like with anything results may vary from person to person . Only long term effect for me and any steel is the amount of cleaning. Ive always heard stories on how they r harder on extractors and all, but have yet to have one give me issues.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I seem to remember reading that there was an issue with alternating steel and brass... that you had to scrub the barrel when you changed ammo types.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom