Looking for a range bag - Recommendations?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Like the title says...looking for recommendations for a new range bag...

Nothing too big and doesn't have to be top of the line or super heavy-duty...just need something to carry a few pistols, mags, ammo, hearing protection, etc....

I've seen the Glock 4-pistol bags online but not sure of the quality...

I know there's another bag that a lot of people on here recommend but for the life of me can't remember the brand (Midway maybe?)

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    +1 one on the Midway bag, you can put everything under the sun in it, but you may not be able to pick it up. Pack it light and it's great

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I have the VooDoo Tactical Scorpion. I love it. Carries plenty of ammo, hearing protection,eye case, 2 pistols, mags, hardware, tools, cleaning supplies, etc. It is very well made.

http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-15-9649-Scorpion-Range/dp/B00655DOXE

That's not a bad-looking bag...definitely an option...
    The Midway bag is nice but HUGE. It's so big I never use it anymore. For years I've been using the LA Police Gear "bail out bag" as my range bag. They go on sale for as little as $10 sometimes, I think i've even gotten a few free with orders.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

One thing I'm not looking for is "huge"...if the Midway is that big, then it's out...That little LA Police Gear bag looks good but maybe a tad small? What have you been able to load up in yours?

Also, did a little researching on the Glock bags last night...most reviews say they are ok, albeit a bit flismy...I would like something fairly durable so I guess those are out too...

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    That's not a bad-looking bag...definitely an option...

One thing I'm not looking for is "huge"...if the Midway is that big, then it's out...That little LA Police Gear bag looks good but maybe a tad small? What have you been able to load up in yours?

Also, did a little researching on the Glock bags last night...most reviews say they are ok, albeit a bit flismy...I would like something fairly durable so I guess those are out too...

IIRC, Midway has two different sizes. I have the larger one, but I wouldn't say it's "huge." I can fit all my odds and ends in it and whatever ammo I need to bring (unless I'm shooting several platforms or huge quantities). For example: when we went this past weekend, I had a spotting scope + tripod, a scope, a red dot, screw driver set, 2 sets of ears, 3 pairs of eyes, a can of rem oil, G17, 3 mags, S&W 442, silicone cloth, target stickies (the things to cover the holes), a box of 38 special, spare scope rings, cheap AR BUIS, and some other things I can't remember offhand.

Also, it is now known for a fact that the bag can take two 223 remington hits and still function. Just ask Chad, Booseman, Jason5313, LNSVince... It's a little worse for the wear, but still a great bag. Used it as a rest for Chad's BCM which is 1.5 inches shorter than my DD. Barrel slipped down below the top seem for the next two shots.

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Midway also has the smaller bag. For $29 I have considered ordering it also to have if I only wanted to take one or two pistols.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...act-competition-range-bag?cm_vc=OBv1939259680

I didn't realize they made a smaller one...that one may do the trick! Thanks!

I use the backpack that Geaux Shooting sells. It's great to carry bc it puts the weight evenly across both shoulders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at those...very nice bags but I prefer the traditional style bag over the backpack style....

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    If they have one around you go to academy they have a good selection of mid to large sized bags at the one near me and if.anything you could always check there website.

I have the midway large bag I put all the stuff in it that you.mentioned and still had a lot of room ended up making a trauma kit and putting it in there as well as a small baggy for bo bos it offer a lot of possibilitys if you control the amount.

My wife picked my bag out without my help or knowing and I'm pretty happy about it but given the option I probably would have gone to academy to put my hands on some and see if they would work for me. Hopefully you have a place close by and can do that.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Started to order the smaller range bag from Midway last night...

Frigging $17.00 shipping (cheapest option) for a $30 bag???

I'll pass....

The search continues...

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    This might just be me, but I much prefer a backpack to a tote style bag. I'm really wanting to get a close look at one of geauxshootin's range packs at some point.

Question for you all: Are there any major advantages to a tote style bag over a backpack that I am missing, or is it a matter of preference?

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Started to order the smaller range bag from Midway last night...

Frigging $17.00 shipping (cheapest option) for a $30 bag???

I'll pass....

The search continues...
    I hate that about midway... Their freaking shipping charges are STUPID high... If I remember correctly when I ordered mine I had googled their coupons and found a free shipping offer. They often have good deals but their shipping charges kill it!!!

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I currently use a clone of the Midway bag (Academy) sells the same bag with their name on it and it is too small for my needs I need something bigger and I might have to look into the backpack style since most "duffle style" tend to be the same size when you look into the "big bags".

Top Bottom