Looking for an AR-15 Gunsmith

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butrbal

Rok Out Whit Ya Glock Out
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Prairieville
    I'm looking for someone near the Prairieville area who can diagnose and repair a problem that my brother is having with his recently purchased AR-15. It has a Bushmaster lower, unknown upper & bull barrel. It will fire the first time, then nothing. If it is put on safe then back on fire it will cycle once, then again nothing.

If you are a member here please send me a PM so we can get in touch.

If you know someone who isn't a member here please PM me their contact info.

Thanks in advance.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    If I understand correctly, the action cycles, but the trigger goes dead. Correct? It sounds like the trigger is not returning fully forward. When you flip the safety on, it forces the trigger to return to it's full forward position, releasing the hammer from the disconnector in the process.

Please try the following (with an empty gun): Cycle the action to cock the hammer. Dry fire and hold the trigger to the rear. With the trigger held firmly, cycle the action again. Slowly release the trigger. See if the gun will dry fire again.

If it fires, I'm not sure what's wrong, repeat the steps above just to make sure.

If the trigger is dead, put your finger behind the trigger bow and push it forward. Look carefully to see if the trigger moves (on a properly functioning gun it shouldn't) and listen for a click (the hammer being released from the disconnector). Now see if the gun will dry fire.

If it fires this time, there may be a problem with one of the springs (make sure the disconnector spring isn't upside down) or there might be a bur on the hammer hook and/or disconnector, or the disco might be improperly fitted.

If it still doesn't fire, cycle the safety on/off.

If this is the only way to get it to fire, I'd guess the disconnector isn't fitted properly.

If it still won't fire, start over, I think you did something wrong :fawk:

Try that and report back.

Butrbal

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Prairieville
    If I understand correctly, the action cycles, but the trigger goes dead. Correct? It sounds like the trigger is not returning fully forward. When you flip the safety on, it forces the trigger to return to it's full forward position, releasing the hammer from the disconnector in the process.

Please try the following (with an empty gun): Cycle the action to cock the hammer. Dry fire and hold the trigger to the rear. With the trigger held firmly, cycle the action again. Slowly release the trigger. See if the gun will dry fire again.

If it fires, I'm not sure what's wrong, repeat the steps above just to make sure.

If the trigger is dead, put your finger behind the trigger bow and push it forward. Look carefully to see if the trigger moves (on a properly functioning gun it shouldn't) and listen for a click (the hammer being released from the disconnector). Now see if the gun will dry fire.

If it fires this time, there may be a problem with one of the springs (make sure the disconnector spring isn't upside down) or there might be a bur on the hammer hook and/or disconnector, or the disco might be improperly fitted.

If it still doesn't fire, cycle the safety on/off.

If this is the only way to get it to fire, I'd guess the disconnector isn't fitted properly.

If it still won't fire, start over, I think you did something wrong :fawk:

Try that and report back.

Thanks Ben, We'll try that this afternoon and report back accordingly.

Butrbal

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ben,

We just got around to taking a closer look at it.

You were right, the two legs on the trigger spring were folded backwards instead of forward as they should be. We removed the hammer and trigger, put the spring in correctly, reassembled everything and it cycles like it should. Thanks for your help.

Maybe one day when I know a little more I can give someone else the same helpful directions.

Thanks to those of you who sent me your contact info. I'll keep it on file and when I need a gunsmith I be sure to contact ya.

Top Bottom