Looking for info on a soft case for a tactical 308

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    I have an LR-308. I bought one of your typical, padded, inexpensive zipper case with external magazine pockets. Problem is, my PMAG's fit but they're really tight. I mean, a pocket made for 5.56 mags is really small for a .308. Just wondering if anyone has come across a brand where the pockets are big enough for 20 round .308 magazines.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Curious if you find something. I was just gonna get a case with molle webbing and hang .308 mag carriers off it for my POF.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    I don't know your rifles length but I picked up one from cabelas about 1.5 yrs ago for my AR it has far exceeded my expectations for its price. The Molle pouches it comes with fits 3 loaded pmags each and are pretty big I thank 308 mags would fit fine just bring one in to make sure, if so they sell them seperate too. The center pouch I've put 2 pistols+200rds 9mm. Inside I've put an 8.5lb ar and a mossy 500. Not a single stitch busted. Link attached and there are several YouTube reviews on it. For 55$ I'm happy with it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...SBC;+LNcat104190480;cat104730480;cat104368680

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    thanks for that link Joey
    The drago bag definitely had room for plenty of mags and had molle webbing on each end. There's also a single rifle case and a longer one as well. I'd guesstimate you could fit at least 3-4 .308 mags in the small pouches and 6 in the large center pouch.

Last edited:

hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    Thanks, EVERYONE, for the info and links. I've heard the Voodoo's are good bags and I've also gotten a couple of items from Sportsmans Warehouse and, so far, they're a good company. Fast and inexpensive. The Cabela's bag looks nice too, what with the webbing for extras, and I've got a $25 gift card to use. The Drago I picked on first, without really reading the descriptions is a double gun bag, which I hadn't considered (Duh!) but should because I have a tactical Mossberg as well. A 42" would work for my LR, with the stock collapsed, but I'll probably have to go to a 46" to add the shottie cuz it's got a 20" barrel. Decisions, decisions... But it's a nice problem.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The Voodoo bag has nice "oversized" pockets. I like it. I think Loque's has them in stock too.

Last edited:

hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    RE: Drago 42" double rifle - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MOLLE-1030

RE: Drago 42" single rifle - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0635947

And found this on a Louque's search - http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=classifieds&event=view&action=single_ad&id=360207&sid=8b849f5ae7435e4b68f366549b2774db

Is GMShooter and 'Louque's' the same guy? Started digging on the forums and they seem to be linked often.

And I think I looked at Sportsman's Warehouse... I get them and Sportsman's Guide mixed up. Whichever one I visited, they had some Voodoo gear but not the double-rifle case. They had one that came up but it was an unknown "Mil-Spec" of similar design.

And the search/research continues (during my next break from hanging Christmas lights).

Last edited:

JP762

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    River Ridge
    I have a nice drag bag for my r700. Bought it at gunshow for $100 and it's a decent bag. The only downside... I had my .308 an SKS in since it's a double bag, both big scoped rifles weighing a lot. Well they have d rings and a shoulder strap on the sides. I grabbed it and yanked it up and the d rings snapped and bag crashed to the ground. Bad side- no double stitches. Good side - rifles are fine. Good padding. Haha

hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    Yeah, there is that... I would think if a bag, online, had double stitching, etc. they'd push that in the description. When I get one, it'll be a double-rifle bag for my LR and shotgun. The LR weighs in around 14 lbs, give or take, with a full magazine. The shotgun's probably a third to half of that, with seven rounds. I'd hate to have to pack that around, in addition to extra magazines and ammo. Basically want something that, in case of emergency, I can grab and run with and not have to pick this, that and the other.

hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    FYI... I bought one through Cabela's. On sale for $54, free shipping and I had a $25 credit. Probably made by the same Chinese kids as Voodoo or Drago. It'll do for now...

hsur

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I have two of the Drago double rifle soft cases. I absolutely love them. Plenty enough room to store my two ar15s and enough mags and ammo for a nice day at the range. My DPMS ar10 does not fit in the case. If it had a collapsible stock it would fit perfectly though, and the pockets on the side will fit ar10 magazines. If I'm not mistaken the last time I tried I could put two ar10 20 round mags in each pocket.

hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    I've got a collapsible stock on mine. Right now I've got a single 'typical' 42" case and it's got several inches of play with the stock fully collapsed so the Cabela's should work. And it looks to have the same bags (style and size) as the Drago. CTD had the Drago and almost got one before they sold out. Glad I didn't now because CTD has "temporarily suspended online firearms sales" during which time "we will review our policies and promotions".
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/
    The post on their Facebook page has 253 "Likes" and 3387 comments, the vast majority of which seem to say, "Bye-bye"...
    https://www.facebook.com/cheaperthandirt

zbaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I also have the one from Cabela's linked above. Great case, holds all of my mags without a problem. Plenty of space and lots of room for extra pouches.

Top Bottom