Looking for...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkennc

Premium Member
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    I have a couple of female friends. They're seriously considering a home defense weapon.
    One's father suggested a 9mm carbine, but she is leaning towards a shotgun. I like the 9mm idea for capacity but the shotgun for 'stopping' power. Whichever they decide may lean towards what training may be available. I've taken a few classes through Advantage Group, which were great, but they don't offer such a class.

Anyone know who does?

Latrag7

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2020
    Lafayette
    If she is stuck on shotgun I would suggest getting her to actually fire a shorter, 12 gauge. If it is too much for her then a 20g youth shotgun would be an excellent choice. You want it to be as compact as possible if using within a home.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Would second that.. if a shotgun is too on there list I would go with a home defense 20 or even 410… shotguns are brutal for 99.9% or females…. Bout like 2024 times a female trying to go pro boxing against men… lol don’t work to well

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    The carbine and shotgun are both great choices. I don't know of anyone that is offering a shotgun course locally or even semi locally unfortunately. I'll say this though, typically new to the gun scene folks will train more with what's more comfortable and the carbine wins that category all day long. And we definitely want the ladies training as much as they can. But as I typed that I realized mossberg makes a 590 now set up for mini and standard shells from the factory. The Federal #4 minis are amazing in pattern, recoil and pentration. They could shoot that all day long and have no problems at all

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I was at a crawfish boil one time and I overheard two guys discussing this same subject . One of them said he was going to get his wife a 12 gauge pump with a pistol grip . I asked him if his wife was proficient with shotguns . He said no . I told him not to waste his money . She'll hate it .

hkennc

Premium Member
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    Thanks for all of your input.
    I have a 20" Mossberg 12 ga. and have ordered the plastic insert to reliably cycle mini shells. I'm going to let her try that before spending any money.

I'd suggested a 20 ga. to her, as well as the 12 ga. mini shells. For the moment, she's interested in the 12.

By the way, she's 5'-11" and her Dad took her to Front Sight in Vegas a few years ago, so I'd have figured she'd have shot more than handguns, but I was wrong. I'm hoping to change her mind regarding the 'evil' AR-15s when we go to the range... at some point.

I decided to disassemble and clean my 20 year-old Mossberg. Dimpled my magazine tube trying to break the threads loose. And now I can't find one. Anywhere. Emailed Mossberg... I don't think they even make them any longer.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks for all of your input.
    I have a 20" Mossberg 12 ga. and have ordered the plastic insert to reliably cycle mini shells. I'm going to let her try that before spending any money.

I'd suggested a 20 ga. to her, as well as the 12 ga. mini shells. For the moment, she's interested in the 12.

By the way, she's 5'-11" and her Dad took her to Front Sight in Vegas a few years ago, so I'd have figured she'd have shot more than handguns, but I was wrong. I'm hoping to change her mind regarding the 'evil' AR-15s when we go to the range... at some point.

I decided to disassemble and clean my 20 year-old Mossberg. Dimpled my magazine tube trying to break the threads loose. And now I can't find one. Anywhere. Emailed Mossberg... I don't think they even make them any longer.
    Oops, scratch that. I see you’re looking for a long tube for the 7+1 guns. Don’t wanna part with any of those. Shop around on eBay if you can’t fix yours. Forewarning, they want mucho de Nero.
    Edit: hit me up if you can’t work it out. I can possible work the dimple out and make it feed, or convert the gun to a 5+1 if you don’t wanna spend $200 on another tube.

Last edited:

hkennc

Premium Member
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    Oops, scratch that. I see you’re looking for a long tube for the 7+1 guns. Don’t wanna part with any of those. Shop around on eBay if you can’t fix yours. Forewarning, they want mucho de Nero.
    Edit: hit me up if you can’t work it out. I can possible work the dimple out and make it feed, or convert the gun to a 5+1 if you don’t wanna spend $200 on another tube.
    Yep... "mucho de nero" IF . . . you can find one. I've looked on eBay and Gunbroker. Found one, barrel and mag tube together, for $155.

Cbt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2022
    Baton Rouge
    Range Ready Studios in Robert, La., offers an AR Basic and AR op1 class. We had a guy there with a 9mm carbine as well. Call to confirm, but they were quite willing to work with that guy who was also a new-ish rifle shooter and classes are small.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I have a couple of female friends. They're seriously considering a home defense weapon.
    One's father suggested a 9mm carbine, but she is leaning towards a shotgun. I like the 9mm idea for capacity but the shotgun for 'stopping' power. Whichever they decide may lean towards what training may be available. I've taken a few classes through Advantage Group, which were great, but they don't offer such a class.

Anyone know who does?

Top Bottom