looking to build a .264 Win Mag for a buddy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Have a friend I work with wanting to put together a long range .264 Win Mag rifle. I am fine with helping him set the rifle up with everything but I not %100 on doing the barrel fitting for a caliber swap. He is really wanting a tack driver out of this so I suggested he get at least the action done by a pro and we can do the finish and stock work.

any suggestion on a good rifle/action builder near by???

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks I'll look up Don as see what we can make happen.

As for the caliber, he owns one already on a Sendero platform and loves it. I had never really heard of it untill he asked me to help with his build. After reading a bit I found it is one bad ass round. About the same balistics as a 7mag but a flatter trajectory. He hunts at a camp in Kentucky and claims to have taken several deer at 600yd plus.

I decided for this one to set him up on a Savage platform, mainly because I like the quality and adaptibility Savage offers. He is going on the search for a model 110 in on of the compatible calibers.
    Bolt face diameter of .540
    257 Weatherby, 264 Win Mag, 270 weatherby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Weatherby Mag, 7 STW,
    7mm Rem Ultra Mag, 300 H & H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 RUM, 303 Brit,
    8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 340 Weatherby Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H & H, 375 Weatherby,
    375 RUM, 416 Rem Mag, 458 Win Mag, and the 458 Lott

Using any of the above calibers we will be able to use the factory action components and do a barrel swap with a Shilen Stainless match grade barrel. Going to sleeve the bolt, tune the trigger, replace the stock, he is a McMillan fan so prob go with one of there factory pillar bedded stocks and do a final glass bed to seat everything. And polish everything inside and out. Cosmetically since he will be hunting we will prob finish up with a dark flat colored powder coat, maybe a light texture to keep from showing any brush abuse from taking it in the field.

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    We will be going with a match grade stainless barrel so hopefully it will help out with the erosion and barrel burning balistics. Don't think he will be using it as a range gun so should be able to see many many seasons of hunts with it

Dats a whole bunch of burning powder trying to get out a tiny hole. think rapid throat erosion.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    6.5 SAUM will get the same bullet going 200+ fps (140 gr about 3100+ fps) faster with lower chamber pressure than the .264 Win Mag for increased barrel life in the same bolt face. But the game will be just as dead with the ..264 Win Mag and if he already has dies then it makes sense.

The .264 Win Mag is a lot more powder and on a long action for just over 100 fps faster than you could get with a .260Rem (2800 fps).

If he likes McMillan and shoots / likes any of the tactical style stocks that have the vertical grip then a Game Scout might be of interest. It is basically an HTG stock with a vertical grip like the A5, A3-5 ect. They really are great light weight stocks that preserve the vertical grip for proper trigger control allowing the trigger to be pulled straight to the rear. Unlike the normal curved grip on most traditional hunting style rifles / stocks.

Last edited:

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Yeah Barney I think he wants to keep the .264 because he already has some recipes for his other .264 loads.
    The Game Scout is actually the stock I was looking at for it yesterday. Looks like really nice ergonomics.

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    That's a nice build on that forum Barney. Guy had some amazing trophy kills too.
    I've been looking into some options for my buddy and got him on a Savage bld.
    Going to start with a Savage 110 7mm mag and do a barrel/caliber swap. Going with a Shilen stainless match barrel 26" and program going with the McMillan Game scout. Going to redo all the internals to include changing the bolt body, head and knob. Trigger job and new recoil lug. Going to glass bed the stock and free float the barrel. Not sure what configuration the stock comes in but if it isn't already I will be pillar bedding the action. Cosmetics will be simple. Flat either black or dark pewter textured powder coat on the outside and all polished inside. Stock color still tbd

Top Bottom