Looking to buy my Daughters there first pistol - help me out

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arkangel77

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Picayune - Mississippi
    OK, My Girls are young but they all beg me to take them shooting all the time. I am looking for a nice not too pricey starter pistol for them. I have two 11 year old's and one 13 year old. I have a Heratage .22 single action and was thinking that might do the trick for them. My wife wants to get something "girlie" for them. Help me out guys? Any Ideas?

mike45

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    LaPlace
    Get a ruger 22. If you want to girlie it up you can by one of those anodized barrels they make for them in different colors.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    What are the firearms you use for defense around your home?

Reason I ask is that there are LOTS of .22 clones these days (if .22 is where you want to start) for Glocks, 1911's, etc. Just might make a tranistion to heavier calibers easier with same manual of arms, familiarity, etc. You can make them any color/combo you want these days, several BS members offer Duracoat and other coatings. As pointed out earlier, lots of makers are offering "ladies" firearms, even in pink.

There is also the school of thought that says to use the weapons for defense, as is, and train them correctly. Imo that can backfire (pun intended) if your primary is a .44 mag in that shooting will become unpleasant and that's not the goal here. But if you're shooting 9mm, .45 acp, .38/357, etc., this method has lots to recommend it.

Were it me, I'd choose option A above. Just because if they feel that the gun "is theirs", that can lead them to explore further and that opens up a whole lot of good and safe family times together shooting.

Good luck Brah!

Arkangel77

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Picayune - Mississippi
    Thanks for the replay's Guys. Lots of stuff to think about. The replica thing is a good idea. SO is getting it dura-coated after the purchase.

I guess my concerns are price and size of the gun itself.

I think a .22 is the way to go here - not sure but they are small and anything larger just does not seem like a Good Idea. I also considered a Rifle but was leaning more towards a pistol as they could get the hang of a hand gun which I hope leads to some comfort later when its time to go bigger for defense reasons.

As for the type of pistol. I got 3 girls to buy for so If I get them each a Ruger mkII and then pay to have them dura-coated I could be talking close to $1500???? The Walter (I got a Buddy with one & like it) is pink already so Its more like $1200 if I go with that one, which still is a decent amount of money.

Which brings me back to a Heritage .22 single action. I can get 3 of them for $600 with MAGNUM cylinders. But then I must Girly them up some kinda way. I also Kinda like the Idea of a revolver for there first gun. Seems a little simpler and fool proof.

ALSO they are sisters so they need the same type of gun to stave off any fighting over who likes what best. If its all the same then there is nothing to fight over.

AND the last issue - MY Wife wants some say in what I buy them so in the end whatever I think may just not even matter at all! LOL

Thank you all for the input, lots to think about. The Good thing is I am in no rush. Anybody Got an Idea what it cost to have something dura-coated?

Thanks, Arkangel77

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Single color handguns will run you around $100 with shipping or less.

Look in the sponsors section here on BS. Several members offer this service and the site facilitates you contacting them directly. Were it me, I'd be asking about package deals to get all three done at once.

Again, good luck.

Max's Choice

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Meraux La
    OK, My Girls are young but they all beg me to take them shooting all the time. I am looking for a nice not too pricey starter pistol for them. I have two 11 year old's and one 13 year old. I have a Heratage .22 single action and was thinking that might do the trick for them. My wife wants to get something "girlie" for them. Help me out guys? Any Ideas?

HI

Sig Sauer Mosquito is a 22 pistol, I ordered one for my friend's grand daughter with a pink frame she is 11. She loves it. She shoots a steel 22 match with it and practices with it.

Arkangel77

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Picayune - Mississippi
    Thanks for the link. I will tell you I love Ruger's. Was my first pistol and is still one of my Favorites! I am looking for a Vaquero for myself right now. However- for my girls I am leaning towards the Sig at this time. I can get it in pink and it is a great gun for the price. Its all gota pass my wife's (Girly test) LOL.

Thank you for the link!

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I picked up a ruger 22/45 slabside at the gunshow last week for $239 NIB. I havent heard great things about the mosquitos.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    It is the first pistol on the list when you click on that buds gunshop link 03protege posted.

I have heard that the mosquitos have feeding issues with the bulk ammo. it is pretty talked about if you google reviews on it, but i do not have firsthand experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom