Looking to Purchase a 308 Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    I am just getting into Cpmpetetive shooting and I am looking for some help with information about a rifle in 308 caliber. I have looked at the Ruger MK 77 and the Winchester Model 70 and the Remington Model 700.

Any Suggestions???

s.i.t.

lead slinger
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    new orleans la
    yeah, what he said. i shoot f class matches in the ftr class and i shoot a savage 10fp, warne 20 moa base, warne med rings, and a millet trs 1 4-16x50.

twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    Ok well something else to learn what types are there? I have read about silloutte shooting and long range shooting at a thousand meters. I also am looking to increase my shooting accuracy for hunting both elk and Deer at lon ranges.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Ok well something else to learn what types are there? I have read about silloutte shooting and long range shooting at a thousand meters. I also am looking to increase my shooting accuracy for hunting both elk and Deer at lon ranges.

If you want to increase your shooting accuracy, you should try NRA highpower. We shoot service rifles at 200, 300 and 600 yards from standing, sitting and prone positions. There is a thread on this site titled "Conditions were ideal at Gonzales." There are some pictures of targets shot by board members with open sighted AR-15s. If the pictures pique your curiosity, come shoot with us. We have rifles that you can borrow for $5. Ammo is on you. Everything else you would need we can loan you. Ask on the board for feedback from others who have taken us up on this offer.

If you aren't interested in position shooting, there are a number of board members who shoot F-Class. Basically, that is a 600 yard match fired with a scoped rifle on either a bi-pod or a rest.

If you have any questions, ask.

Dan

twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    Thanks I appreciate it. When do you guys shoot and how often? What type of rifles are acceptable in class f and highpower? You said AR-15 for sure what else id there I can do help my self get started?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    For highpower, most use the National Match AR-15s. We have plenty to borrow so you can try before you buy.

F-Class shooters typically use a heavy barreled bolt action or semi auto with a scope. A .308 works great. A .223 with a 1:8" or faster twist is great too.

Matches are on the following days:

F-Class - 1st Saturday of the month at Palo Alto
    Highpower - 3rd Saturday of the month at Palo Alto
    Reduced course highpower - 4th Sunday of the month at Ascension Parish Sheriff's range in Gonzales.

Next weekend has both the 3rd Saturday and the 4th Sunday so we have 2 matches.

To get started, you need to come out. We will take care of the rest.

Dan

Top Bottom