Looking to purchase first AK pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Best option for AK pistol?

• PAP M92

Votes: 8 53.3%
    • Draco

Votes: 4 26.7%
    • C39

Votes: 2 13.3%
    • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    Plan on purchasing an AK pistol within the next couple of months. Don't have much experience with them so looking for opinions. For the price range I'm working in I think my best options are the PAP M92, the Draco (not the mini), or the C39. What your opinions on which would be the best choice given that general price range and would also love to know your positives or negatives with any of those guns. Thanks for any info as this will help me make my decision.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I have the mini 7 1/2" and love it. I have a friend with the Draco 10 1/2" and one with the pap 10 1/2. Both are nice with probably better ballistics from the longer barrel. I paid $450ish. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot. I plan on SBRing mine with a side folder ace stock. My friends both have the arm brace on theirs which is really nice. I've heard you either get a good pap or a bad one.

Last edited:

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    I have the mini 7 1/2" and love it. I have a friend with the Draco 10 1/2" and one with the pap 10 1/2. Both are nice with probably better ballistics from the longer barrel. I paid $450ish. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot. I plan on SBRing mine with a side folder ace stock. My friends both have the arm brace on theirs which is really nice. I've heard you either get a good pap or a bad one.

Thanks for the info! I've heard about some problems with the mini. I can't remember specifically but something about how since the gas tube is shorter there have been quite a few people reporting it breaking and needing to be replaced or something like that. Have you heard of that issue?

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    When I got my Draco it was the only AK pistol being imported. It's been an amazing firearm to shoot and gets the most range time now. I have done several things to it to make it more useful as well as comfortable to use. I have nothing negative to say about it. Here's a pic of it and it's first kill.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have a draco and a m92. I prefer the look of the m92 if left with wood. If you plan to upgrade the furniture the draco will be the better bet.

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    Bump. Leaning towards holding out for the m92, anyone know where they are in stock online? As of a month ago I could find them but not so much now.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I have the Serbian Zastava PAP M85 (5.56) and I just acquired the M92 (7.62). They are amazing pistols, however, Those damn serbs don't believe in making things "standard", so you do have to find parts and accessories that are compatible with the M85/M92.

From what I have found...

I replaced the wooden handguard on my M85 with a metal quad rail from Midwest Industries. Samson, Midwest Industries, Rapidfire Tech and Renegade make handguard systems designed specifically to fit the M85/M92. There are some examples out there of using other handguards on the pistol, however, they either require shaving down portions of the handguard or cutting large portions off in order to fit properly. Also, the Samson, RapidFire Tech and Midwest Industries rails are Aluminum, the Renegade is polymer. MI also has variations of their rail system that supports keymod and M-Lok attachments. The most inexpensive of course is the Renegade ($70+/-, then the MI version (about $114+/- for either style), then the Samson of course ($300+/-). The RapidFire Tech handguard is custom cut ($140+/-).

The rear cover plate does not detach from the receiver, so replacing it with one that has an integrated rail is not an option. RapidFireTek makes a top rail that they initially said would not work on the M85, so, of course I ordered it and tried it out... it worked perfectly on the M85, so after letting them know, they now advertise that it works on both. The receiver of the M85/M92 does not match up to support the use of the side mounted top rail either.

The M92 thread cap is spot welded to the barrel. So you can't just remove it to put a muzzle device on. However, you can grind down the weld and it will come off fairly easy, allowing you to then add one. However, you will need to also add the pin and spring kit that retains the muzzle device and prevents it from backing off.

In some cases of replacing the pistol grip, if you also have the SB47 stabolizing brace installed on the pistol, you will need a longer attachment bolt to secure the grip or at least get enough threads on it to not break later on down the road. Especially if you add another feature to the grip like some of the single point sling attachments. The manufacturer also says that the single point sling mount and the SB47 can not be used together, however, this is incorrect.

Just FYI, CNCWARRIOR.COM is showing M85's in stock, but not M92's.

I hope you can find one! Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom