Louisiana DMV data breach

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    My wife and I made the calls and it was quick and painless. Given that it’s so easy to do and being recommended as a necessary measure, what is your rationale for not freezing your credit? I’m assuming you know what you’re talking about and have a good reason for disagreeing with what I’ve heard and read repeatedly and what both of the banking institutions I deal with have told me. Why would we not if it’s so easy to do and so recommended?
    Trust me when I say removing the freeze can become a nightmare!!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    yea, I once locked my stuff and it took 6 months after making a call to unlock it.. I will not ever freeze it again..
    BTW, even the reporting agencies have been hacked.. remember equifax data breech, 5 or so years ago.. Then they were awarded the contract from the feds to monitor ****.. IRS contract.. SO, Yea..

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    yea, I once locked my stuff and it took 6 months after making a call to unlock it.. I will not ever freeze it again..
    BTW, even the reporting agencies have been hacked.. remember equifax data breech, 5 or so years ago.. Then they were awarded the contract from the feds to monitor ****.. IRS contract.. SO, Yea..
    What really ticked me off is one of the 3 gave me a PIN number to unlock it, when I attempted to use the pin it said they needed extra verification and started with those stupid security questions that are just about impossible to get right (ended up locked out for months and almost missed closing on our house).

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Computers are going to be ruination of us all....... Remember when in the 1960"s when Nikita Kruechef(?) leader of the USSR / Soviet Union / Russia while giving a speech at the United Nations General Assembly began a tirade / took off his shoe and pounding on the podium and stating " we will bury you from within without firing a shot" ..... With all of the multi nations involved with these computer hacking events this happening grows closer and closer each day........ drill sgt.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The rationale is that it's likely not necessary as most people won't be targets of criminals trying to open new credit accounts with the stolen data. As you know, you have to call all three agencies individually and then if you want to unfreeze your credit, you have to do the same thing over again. If you don't plan on opening new credit cards, auto loans, or what not in the foreseeable future, it's not a big deal. But it's easy to forget that you've added freezes with the bureaus when opening a new CC.

There is a net positive to freezing your accounts, but it's also probably not necessary.

Someone responded above to this thread that some think his VPN is unnecessary. A VPN has nothing to do with data being stolen from the state.

Aside from that, I'd argue that for most people, a VPN is unnecessary as well in most cases.

I use a VPN when I'm on public WiFi, and that's about it.
    Again, the VPN thing, he never said anything about it related to the state hack, but you’re dodging my question, so Nevermind. I’m just curious as to why you’d say people don’t need to use a VPN (especially after you just admitted that you do for he very reason that you should….SMH…) and why would anyone want to take a chance that they won’t win the ID theft lottery because you say freezing your credit isn’t necessary? For someone who’s known for reaming folks here over advice you feel is bad, you sure porked the pooch on that one. I’m laughing in disbelief.
    Next I guess you’ll be telling us we don’t really need car insurance or that yearly physical is just a waste of time.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks to those that gave some real world reasons. Seriously. That’s all I was looking for, rather than someone simply dismissing it.
    I’m not in the market for any credit and hopefully won’t be any time in the future with how things are looking, but I am fortunate to have a credit rating over the 800 mark and I don’t think there’s such a thing as overkill when you’re taking measures to protect some things. Maybe it’s not the answer for everyone. I’ll leave mine frozen a while. I remember a time that Life Lock was supposed to be bullet proof and the creator had his SS number plastered on city buses. I think it would be naive to believe that I’m not at risk in this day and age. I sincerely hope nobody here falls victim to the thieves who pulled this off.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks to those that gave some real world reasons. Seriously. That’s all I was looking for, rather than someone simply dismissing it.
    I’m not in the market for any credit and hopefully won’t be any time in the future with how things are looking, but I am fortunate to have a credit rating over the 800 mark and I don’t think there’s such a thing as overkill when you’re taking measures to protect some things. Maybe it’s not the answer for everyone. I’ll leave mine frozen a while. I remember a time that Life Lock was supposed to be bullet proof and the creator had his SS number plastered on city buses. I think it would be naive to believe that I’m not at risk in this day and age. I sincerely hope nobody here falls victim to the thieves who pulled this off.
    The LifeLock jackass was hacked MULTIPLE times, and rightly so! :dogkeke:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've had everything financially I could think of locked/frozen for years. I don't ever regret it or second guess doing it. I must say; owing the bank a crap ton of money for my business, and them having me sign loan documents in blood with the promise of my first born if I default, made it that much more enjoyable when they went to do their little yearly solvency check up on my personal finances and had to call me to let them in to see it. They definitely don't like it when they have to ask permission for something when they have you by the balls on loans.

I look it at like this; if I freeze my financials, I might not get robbed. If I don't, I also might not get robbed, but it's better than nothing.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Just plan way ahead when unfreezing and don’t just think loans keep in mind things like shopping for new insurance, they will need to run your credit. The issue I had was around 4 years ago one of the 3 credit bureaus was a nightmare to unfreeze (hopefully they improved the system). Also anyone you currently do business with can still run the report while it’s frozen so doing future business with them is unaffected.

I would still look into some type of identity theft monitoring as there’s a lot someone could still do with your personal info that doesn’t require running credit reports.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I've had everything financially I could think of locked/frozen for years. I don't ever regret it or second guess doing it. I must say; owing the bank a crap ton of money for my business, and them having me sign loan documents in blood with the promise of my first born if I default, made it that much more enjoyable when they went to do their little yearly solvency check up on my personal finances and had to call me to let them in to see it. They definitely don't like it when they have to ask permission for something when they have you by the balls on loans.

I look it at like this; if I freeze my financials, I might not get robbed. If I don't, I also might not get robbed, but it's better than nothing.
    Anyone you have a current loan with can run it whenever they want frozen or not.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    This was several years ago. I took the call myself from (bank name rhymes with legions), loan officer! Apparently, they haven't needed permission since, or they just stopped checking.
    Anyone you have current accounts with loans, insurance, etc can pull reports frozen or not. Now if opening new accounts or loans even with the same lender I’m pretty sure they are blocked for those.

Just one article explaining it but there’s plenty more if you search.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Anyone you have current accounts with loans, insurance, etc can pull reports frozen or not. Now if opening new accounts or loans even with the same lender I’m pretty sure they are blocked for those.
    Now that you mention it, might have been a re-finance or new line of credit. I don't even remember anymore. I'm surprised at this point in time, they don't make you submit DNA to secure loans.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Now that you mention it, might have been a re-finance or new line of credit. I don't even remember anymore. I'm surprised at this point in time, they don't make you submit DNA to secure loans.
    Yea pretty sure for a refinance or new account even at the same bank they need new permission.

I was a huge fan of freezing the reports for years but that last episode where they locked me out for months was just horrible literally almost caused us to not close on our new home. If I could ever trust the unfreezing process to go smoothly in the future I would lock it again. (Keep in mind I had the account number and pin they issued to unlock it but they decided to ask for more info and lock me out, I did not lose my info and cause the problem).

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    just going to share this..

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I would still look into some type of identity theft monitoring as there’s a lot someone could still do with your personal info that doesn’t require running credit reports.

The funny thing is that any private company that was hacked would have to provide credit monitoring for a year, at no charge for us victims. Guess the state doesn't have to do that for its citizens... But I suppose we'd be paying for it if it's from the state anyway. Isn't is funny how taxpayers very seldom "win"....

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    The funny thing is that any private company that was hacked would have to provide credit monitoring for a year, at no charge for us victims. Guess the state doesn't have to do that for its citizens... But I suppose we'd be paying for it if it's from the state anyway. Isn't is funny how taxpayers very seldom "win"....
    I agree 100%.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Just plan way ahead when unfreezing and don’t just think loans keep in mind things like shopping for new insurance, they will need to run your credit. The issue I had was around 4 years ago one of the 3 credit bureaus was a nightmare to unfreeze (hopefully they improved the system). Also anyone you currently do business with can still run the report while it’s frozen so doing future business with them is unaffected.

All good points. Thanks big guy.

Also, check the financial institutions you bank with. I’m a big fan of credit unions and they’ve got me covered pretty well without any cost to me.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Again, the VPN thing, he never said anything about it related to the state hack, but you’re dodging my question, so Nevermind. I’m just curious as to why you’d say people don’t need to use a VPN (especially after you just admitted that you do for he very reason that you should….SMH…) and why would anyone want to take a chance that they won’t win the ID theft lottery because you say freezing your credit isn’t necessary? For someone who’s known for reaming folks here over advice you feel is bad, you sure porked the pooch on that one. I’m laughing in disbelief.
    Next I guess you’ll be telling us we don’t really need car insurance or that yearly physical is just a waste of time.
    Blah blah blah, I'm not playing your silly game of nitpicking arguments, especially when you're the queen of ignoring others when questioned.

You asked why I'm saying people don't need VPNs. Because there isn't a compelling argument to use a VPN when on a secured network.

VPNs route your traffic through the network you're on via an encrypted channel through another network and then to the internet as a whole. That's an overly general generalization, but that's the gist of how they work.

They slow your internet down and still leave you open to data leakage on the normal internet as is. They simply make it less likely that your data is intercepted on the WiFi that you're on.

You can still get "hacked" via a VPN. You can still lose data via a VPN. And you can still have your accounts compromised via a VPN. And wait for it - you can still be tracked even when using a VPN. They don't offer some magical layer of protection, but they do hinder your connection to the internet and can interrupt some of the cookies that keep you logged in.

Where a VPN makes sense is when you are on an unsecured network so you aren't as vulnerable to a man in the middle attack.

As for the freezing of the credit thing - it's a pain in the butt to undo down the line. Meanwhile, credit and identify theft monitoring is free/cheap and works well. For the masses, it's a better option than a blanket statement of "go lock your credit down."

Top Bottom