Louisiana moves to online Concealed Carry Permit Applications

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I'm in contact with the LSP on getting additional info on notary and fingerprints

HEADQUARTERS - NEWS RELEASE

June 19, 2014

LSP to begin Online Application Process for Concealed Handgun Permits

Baton Rouge, LA- The Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit Unit is responsible for issuing and managing concealed handgun permits statewide and processed over 26,000 applications in 2013. In an effort to expedite and improve the application process, citizens can now utilize the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit website to submit an online application. The online application creates a more efficient process and when properly utilized applicants can expect to receive their permits quicker than when submitting the traditional paper application packets.

As part of the online application, applicants must have a valid email account to receive a unique application number to be used throughout the process and are not required to submit payment for the permit until the application has been reviewed for eligibility and completeness. Once accepted, applicants will receive the payment instructions through an official email allowing them to submit payment online.

In addition, both online and paper applications will now utilize the applicant’s Louisiana driver’s license or identification card photo no longer requiring the attachment of passport photos with the application packet. As previously required, first time concealed handgun permit applicants must submit fingerprints during the application process. Citizens are strongly encouraged to submit the fingerprints electronically at the Louisiana State Police Headquarters facility in Baton Rouge to greatly expedite the processing time. Fingerprints submitted on paper cards may take up to 21 days to process along with the application packet.

Paper documents such as the training certificate may be submitted by scanning and attaching to the online application. Applicants choosing to mail paper documents are instructed to print a cover letter and include that letter when submitting documents to the unit.

Citizens can now utilize the online application at the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit website found at
    http://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov/.

For more information on the application process, laws governing concealed handgun permits, and other frequently asked questions please visit www.lsp.org/handguns.html and/or contact the LSP Concealed Handgun Permit Unit utilizing the information below:

Louisiana State Police
    Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
    PO Box 66375
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70896
    (225) 925-4867
    (225) 925-4868
    (225) 922-0225 Fax

Email: concealed.handguns@dps.la.gov

Contact Information:
    Sgt. Nick Manale
    Louisiana State Police
    Public Affairs Section
    Nicholas.Manale@la.gov

Last edited:

Bradb4178

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Ruston / Baton Rouge
    Im glad we are finally doing this. I believe this will definitely speed up the process especially for those who can not get out during the work day to submit all their info. Im just wondering what took us this long?!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That's great! I hope even more people get them now that its easier. Maybe the LSP can even use the email addys they will collect to spam relevant news.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I just had a renewing student come by and test it out with a renewal application

You upload all needed paper documents and digitally sign affidavits.

The only affidavit shown on his RENEWAL application was to certify information provided was true.This could be completely different for a new applicant.

Hopefully I can get a new applicant in here tomorrow to test.

The question about training...revolver/pistol/both finally reads the way it should....

6. Have you completed training as prescribed in LRS 40:1379.3 (D) (1) and LAC 551:1307.D? (Attach Training Completion
    Certificate)

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Now we just need to make it to where you can walk into the dmv and walk out with your permit the same day. NCIC checks dont take that long. Im not sure it could be done efficiently for those who have to do the out of state checks

LoniJo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    Elizabeth, LA
    That is awesome news. Just wish I didn't have t go all the way to BR for the fingerprinting. Too bad more of the state offices don't offer the electronic prints.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well, better late then never; I guess! And it is good news!

I just wish it would have happened sooner! Like, since I've been able to file to the Louisiana Tax parasites via online since early 1990's.

God sakes, this is all retarded BS.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Dang, I mailed mine off June 9th. Maybe they will try to process the backlog of paper apps. instead of letting them sit there while they get flooded with electronic apps.!
    I wouldn't hold my breath bud!

Walrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Slidell
    Just submitted my renewal online. We'll see how it goes.

A buddy submitted his renewal last week.. 5-6 days later he got email notice for approved and to go online and pay the fee. Figure another week for permit to arrive (hopefully). Maybe 2 to 2.5 week turnaround for him.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Only issue is fingerprints, still need to go in or send them in... got mine started, but need to find a local pd that will send them in. .. Any details on the process now that you don't send in the whole application?

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    You still mail your print cards in . The PD will not do it for you. The other option s to go to LSP and have it done there. They have a cover sheet as part of the online application process for you to send in with the prints.

Top Bottom